USA TODAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL

BloodAtFirstBite

This only thing that bothers me is NOT Notre Dame. Them being at number 3 after last season's revival doesn't shock me although will's constant whining about the Irish does scare me a little.

Now, I like to know how Oklahoma, a team that is not favored to win it's own division in the Big 12, has more first place votes the defending National Champions themselves. I have to believe that the nincompoops that voted here must of not heard of what went down in Norman involving their former starting QB...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think Notre Dame is going to challenge for the BCS title, even with their scheduale. I think with it you have to consider them, because they really have not off weeks playing easy schools. If you win em all, or all but one, its really hard to point out a team that plays a tougher set of games. And travel... sure they do alot, but I mean look at what some of the west coast team (like Washington) have to do.

@Oklahoma (2017 miles)

@Arizona (1623 miles)

@USC (1138 miles)

@ Cal (798 miles)

@ Oregon (283 miles)

@ WSU (286 miles)

Total miles:

6145 miles

But for a mid/east team, Notre Dame probably does have it one of the worst.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

This only thing that bothers me is NOT Notre Dame. Them being at number 3 after last season's revival doesn't shock me although will's constant whining about the Irish does scare me a little.

Now, I like to know how Oklahoma, a team that is not favored to win it's own division in the Big 12, has more first place votes the defending National Champions themselves. I have to believe that the nincompoops that voted here must of not heard of what went down in Norman involving their former starting QB...

Um, I think they were favored to win the Big 12 South since all the writers figure Texas is t3h $uck since Vince Young is gone, and there's this idea floating around that Texas fears Oklahoma. And they probably had the votes before Rhett Bomar and friend got booted off. That, and the fact that teams like Oklahoma, Florida State, Miami, and yes, Notre Dame, just have name power would explain that. I remember when Florida State was 7-5 a few years back, but ranked #7 in the polls. I think it was just because they were OMGZ FLORIDA STATEZZZ!!!11. Once again I went on a tangent, but you get the point.

Duke 1. WHO IN THE HELL GAVE DUKE A VOTE?

My guess is Duke's head coach.

Nope! That would be the last place vote of none other than the Ol' Ball Coach himself, Steve Spurrier as he once coached at Duke(1987-89).

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Most the of these rankings are based on the past year's success. I'm pretty sure that most coaches feel for some programs if there are big holes to fill (like in USC's O and Ohio State's D) that the program, system, and the strength on the other side of the ball will help until the other side gets settled. It's a team sport. One player does not a team make (no matter how much Vince Young thinks so)

I know no one really cares, but, I am really glad ASU is just out of the top 25. It seems whenever we are ranked in the top 25 we disappoint, but when we are off the radar, we surprise.

As a wildcat fan, this may suprise you but I think that you and Cal are both better then USC and the grand canyon state will sweep them

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

How can a school not in a conference play a conference schedule? And if you're a big school, already playing a tough conference schedule, would you put Notre Dame on it just to add a challenge? Granted, you do get some great non-conference matchups from big schools (last year's fantastic Ohio State-Texas game comes to mind) but you can't expect all the teams to play 12 potential #1's.

And why not? I'd love to see Notre Dame play a schedule as follows:

Week 1: at Florida

Week 2: at Michigan

Week 3: at Ohio State

Week 4: at Florida St

Week 5: at Texas

Week 6: at Oklahoma

Week 7: at Miami (FL)

Week 8: at West Virginia

Week 9: at Auburn

Week 10: at LSU

Week 11: at Penn State

Week 12: at USC

That's about the only kind of schedule that would let Notre Dame earn a BCS bid, in my mind.

How many of the Top 25 play more non-conference away games than Notre Dame?

1. Ohio State - 1 (Texas)

2. Texas - 1 (Rice)

3. Southern Cal - 1 (Arkansas)

5. Oklahoma - 1 (Oregon)

6. Auburn - 0

7. West Virginia - 2 (East Carolina, Mississippi State)

8. Florida - 1 (Florida State)

9. LSU - 0

10. Florida State - 0

11. Miami (FL) - 1 (Louisville)

12. California - 1 (Tennessee)

13. Louisville - 3 (Temple, Kansas State, Middle Tennessee State)

14. Georgia - 0

15. Michigan - 1 (Notre Dame)

16. Virginia Tech - 0

17. Iowa - 1 (Syracuse)

18. Clemson - 0

19. Penn State - 1 (Notre Dame)

20. Oregon - 1 (Fresno State)

21. TCU - 1 (Army)

22. Nebraska - 1 (Southern Cal)

23. Tennessee - 1 (Memphis)

24. Alabama - 0

25. Texas Tech - 2 (UTEP, TCU)

3. Notre Dame - 5 (Georgia Tech, Michigan State, Navy, Air Force, Southern Cal)

Notre Dame always schedules the best games possible. Sometimes, the scheduled team has slipped in the season they play Notre Dame, you can't blame the Irish on this. They take more risks than any other school, scheduling these home and away games.

I know no one really cares, but, I am really glad ASU is just out of the top 25. It seems whenever we are ranked in the top 25 we disappoint, but when we are off the radar, we surprise.

As a wildcat fan, this may suprise you but I think that you and Cal are both better then USC and the grand canyon state will sweep them

Haha, and as much as I hate to say it...I see the Wildcats slowly crawling out of the Pac-10 football basement. Still, you will never be ASU in football :P

PopHeading-1.gif

Ha! Both you and the WildKittens fan are wrong... dead wrong.

This season will be a revival of the greatest power the Northwest has ever seen. Come, ye faithful of Washington. Come and see the Huskies rise once again to defeat those sinners from Oregon, California and Arizona.

I believe that Steve Spurrier voted Duke #25. Paying homage to his former coaching days and all....

Hedley, did you read my post earlier in this thread? I said it 1st.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Penn State at the #19 spot seems about right. They have a great set of WR and a solid RB in Tony Hunt, but they have a new starting QB. They lost some great players on defense to the draft (Hali, Lowry) but Poz is back for his senior season and will look to tear it up again.

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

Ha! Both you and the WildKittens fan are wrong... dead wrong.

This season will be a revival of the greatest power the Northwest has ever seen. Come, ye faithful of Washington. Come and see the Huskies rise once again to defeat those sinners from Oregon, California and Arizona.

Dude, Im going to UW this year, and have season tickets for their home games. But still dont excpect them to be any good. Sure they may improve. But I dont see any great improvment standing wise for the huskies for another year or two. If JR Hasty can learn to get his grades up, and Jake Locker can be as amazing as he was in high school, the huskies will be good. Just not this year.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I believe that Steve Spurrier voted Duke #25. Paying homage to his former coaching days and all....

Hedley, did you read my post earlier in this thread? I said it 1st.

I said it better.

Archived