Who's replacing James Brown on Fox?

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whose repalcing Buck in the booth with Troy Aikman? Its an awful decision and Curt Menefe is meh. Looks like they got caught with their pants down on this James Brown situation.

Oh well I watch CBS any way just for Dan the Man.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What I hear is that the pregame show will be moving with Buck from game to game.

Right-oh!

I thought F-oh-X was going to keep us in the dark until September 10th with thier stupid "Who's the new host?" ads.

Anyways this announcement was as expected as some star getting injured during the practice season (Clinton Portis *L*).

Of course it was going to be Joe Buck. Who else does F-oh-X have? Maybe Chris Meyers, but he's got N-A-S-C-A-R duties.

teams-1.png

Yes, very dumb decision. I watch CBS pregame show over Fox anyway. There was plenty of people Fox could have hired, Kevin Fraizer, Pam Oliver, Chris Myers, John Saunders, Michael Wilbon or make Curt Menefee the host full time.

What I hear is that the pregame show will be moving with Buck from game to game.

I don't think it's a bad move at all. Buck's very talented and capable of the job.

:shocked:

Joe Buck is by far one of the most inept play-by-play guys to ever do the job. Not only does his voice just irritate the hell out of me, but his little to no insight are also another reason why I find the CBS show a thousand times better. He seems to have no clue that the only reason he has the job is because of his father, and even then, that might be a stretch.

Capable? Yes, but so is an eight-year old who plays peewee football. Talented? Oy vey.

I don't think it's a bad move at all. Buck's very talented and capable of the job.

:shocked:

Joe Buck is by far one of the most inept play-by-play guys to ever do the job. Not only does his voice just irritate the hell out of me, but his little to no insight are also another reason why I find the CBS show a thousand times better. He seems to have no clue that the only reason he has the job is because of his father, and even then, that might be a stretch.

Capable? Yes, but so is an eight-year old who plays peewee football. Talented? Oy vey.

You don't get as far in the business as he has by being inept, PERIOD.

His father got him his start, Buck's taken that opportunity and run with it. You don't honestly believe that when consider who to hire to host the pregame Fox went "How about Joe again? Afterall, his father WAS Jack Buck."

No way. They did it because they like his skills.

You can disagree with their assessment of him, but I'm tired of people saying he's only got his jobs because of his father.

Yes, he was very lucky to have someone who could get him into the business, but he had to prove himself, and he did.

Also, he has every clue in the world that people think he only has his jobs because of his father. He jokes all the time about how he rode his father's cottails to where he is now. But that's exactly what it is, a joke.

I don't listen to Buck much as a football announcer, so I'm not sure he's great there, but I know he's a very talented baseball announcer. He's entertaining, and he knows boatloads about the game and players (again, I'm talking baseball). He's capable of being serious and professional, but best when he's loose and does things like sings.

As a host, Buck will be great. Probably better than he is as a football announcer.

You don't get as far in the business as he has by being inept, PERIOD.

His father got him his start, Buck's taken that opportunity and run with it. You don't honestly believe that when consider who to hire to host the pregame Fox went "How about Joe again? Afterall, his father WAS Jack Buck."

No way. They did it because they like his skills.

You can disagree with their assessment of him, but I'm tired of people saying he's only got his jobs because of his father.

Yes, he was very lucky to have someone who could get him into the business, but he had to prove himself, and he did.

Also, he has every clue in the world that people think he only has his jobs because of his father. He jokes all the time about how he rode his father's cottails to where he is now. But that's exactly what it is, a joke.

I don't listen to Buck much as a football announcer, so I'm not sure he's great there, but I know he's a very talented baseball announcer. He's entertaining, and he knows boatloads about the game and players (again, I'm talking baseball). He's capable of being serious and professional, but best when he's loose and does things like sings.

As a host, Buck will be great. Probably better than he is as a football announcer.

I think because because you're in StL, people would think you're biased, but you have heard him more because of his local work.

Since I didn't hear much about Jack's work, aside from the '91 World Series, I can't say I can make any father-son argument. Joe Buck, to me, on his own merit, is a good baseball a decent football announcer. Not great, but good. Good voice, sometime wity, perhaps drags stories on a little longer than I would like, but a lot of people do that and a lot of time it's Fox's fault.

My only beef is that he works with Captain Obvious, Tim McCarver. Joe does still have a long ways to go to be considered a Vin Scully or his father. He still doesn't have that one call that people will always remember like Jack's call in the '91 World Series, but I'm sure he'll find that some day.

As for him hosting the show and going from site to site. It's something different which is what Fox has been known for. I'll have to see what happens. I'm sure he'll do OK, but I has really hoping they would find someone outside of their company, but that would also make things obvious if you hear that someone is quitting their current job. Maybe they should have had Star Jones in there :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

There are about 3 or 4 announcers that I can think of that people everywhere "like."

Ernie Harwell (detroit)

Vin Scully (LA)

Jack Buck (Stl)

Beyond that, if you don't listen to them daily or live in the area, you probably don't like them. I hear people all the time say how they hate Ed Farmer from the White Sox. He's terrific. But they aren't used to him. I always see so much hatred towards Joe Buck anywhere outside St. Louis. I think half the hatred for him is for him making money doing stupid commericals, and half the love in St. Louis is because of his last name.

Same goes for the national annuoncers. I can't think of a single one that I've never heard anyone complain about. Its funny to see everyone get so heated about announcers. Mute the game and turn on your local radio broadcast, or listen to music...

Or come to a message board and rip on people you don't even know.

Same goes for the national annuoncers. I can't think of a single one that I've never heard anyone complain about. Its funny to see everyone get so heated about announcers. Mute the game and turn on your local radio broadcast, or listen to music...

I always thought that everyone loved Bob Costas and Keith Jackson.

I don't care much for Joe Buck, but I don't care much for Fox broadcasts anyways. I tend to watch their games either at the gym or with the mute on. No local radio either. I just dislike their announcers and graphics that much.

And I can't believe people would like Chris Meyers hosting the football show. To me, there aren't many people more dry, more vanilla, and more boring than Chris Meyers. I especially hate his finely tuned "Don't I have the best talking head" voice. He seems so phony to me.

Uh, are you familiar with the Internet?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Same goes for the national annuoncers.  I can't think of a single one that I've never heard anyone complain about.  Its funny to see everyone get so heated about announcers.  Mute the game and turn on your local radio broadcast, or listen to music...

I don't care much for Joe Buck, but I don't care much for Fox broadcasts anyways. I tend to watch their games either at the gym or with the mute on. No local radio either. I just dislike their announcers and graphics that much.

And I can't believe people would like Chris Meyers hosting the football show. To me, there aren't many people more dry, more vanilla, and more boring than Chris Meyers. I especially hate his finely tuned "Don't I have the best talking head" voice. He seems so phony to me.

They have internet on computers now? I just ment instead of doing something about it, just complain. You have plenty of control over your TV.

I've heard plenty of people dislike both of those (costas/jackson), unwarrented of course because they are both legends. The 3 guys I said I've just never heard anyone really complain about. Now that I think about it, I think I've heard people complain about Scully even...

Which is my point. No matter who they picked, people will complain. I know that's true for most things, but for some reason It seems that with announcers, nobody is ever happy unless the announcer is associated with their team in some fashion. Cowboys fans probably love Troy Aikman as an announcer, but he's awful.

I've heard plenty of people dislike both of those (costas/jackson), unwarrented of course because they are both legends. The 3 guys I said I've just never heard anyone really complain about. Now that I think about it, I think I've heard people complain about Scully even...

Which is my point. No matter who they picked, people will complain. I know that's true for most things, but for some reason It seems that with announcers, nobody is ever happy unless the announcer is associated with their team in some fashion. Cowboys fans probably love Troy Aikman as an announcer, but he's awful.

I see what you're saying. And I'd also like to hear from a Bob Costas hater why they hate Bob Costas. He seems so unassuming yet professional to me. I'd like to hear reasons to dislike his work.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'd sure as heck like to know where Irv Cross went. He was, IMHO, the best of all of the NFL pregame hosts, albeit second banana to Brent Musburger. Frankly, I think the Musburger-Cross duo would still play well on the NFC pregame show.

Same goes for the national annuoncers.  I can't think of a single one that I've never heard anyone complain about.  Its funny to see everyone get so heated about announcers.  Mute the game and turn on your local radio broadcast, or listen to music...

Chris Myers does seem very arrogant. He was even that way as a reporter for ESPN and FSN. He's even worse on radio.

As for Joe Buck, having the show at their #1 game is a good idea. Buck is in the final year of his Fox contract, so it is a no lose situation for both parties. The ratings for "The NFL Today" on CBS were last by a large margin, and James Brown is not going to increase it much.

One thing which probably annoys many views, is the rise of Buck to what could be called, "the next, great American sportscaster". If it was not him, it would have been Chip Caray, Thom Brennanham, or even Sean McDounough (someone with a sportscaster/reporter father). While most of them work hard to get where they are, it can be construed that they don't earn it, especially at that young age. We see it in each form of entertainment. especially acting and singing.

I hope I never see the son or daughter of Chris Berman on air in the next 15 years.

Archived