Tom Glavine's 'mystery' ailment

BJ Sands

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blood CLOTS CAN BE FATAL!!!!

A deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot (thrombus) that develops in a deep vein, usually in the leg. This can happen if the vein is damaged or if the flow of blood slows down or stops. Deep vein thrombosis can cause pain in the leg, and can lead to complications if it breaks off and travels in the bloodstream to the lungs.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

All I siad is I hope the Braves never win again and they are sucha bad team that they lose all their fans like the Hawks and Thrashers that was my response to your original post tahts noty a personal attack thats just my view of the Braves.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

All I siad is I hope the Braves never win again and they are sucha bad team that they lose all their fans like the Hawks and Thrashers that was my response to your original post tahts noty a personal attack thats just my view of the Braves.

Perhaps I need to dumb down the statement.

you and Gregjigga are attacking me personally

Do explain.

Do you realize this could be life threatening to Glavine?

1. Get your facts straight. Nothing anyone has written has ever said it was life threatening. Career threatning, yes. Plenty of people have moved on from career ending injuries and are living quite successfully.

2. Stop being so motherf-cking sensitive. The fact that Glavine's a Met is the only reason you give a damn. You're a Met fan. Most of the rest of us aren't. We wish the guy well, but we don't give a damn. He doesn't give a damn about us, or you. You don't give a damn about us. We don't give a damn about you.

3. Go back and read all the :censored: you posted about loving to see the replay of the horrific Joe Theismann injury, then try to come back and say something about it not being right to be happy about injuries. You probably mean it's not right for us to be happy about injuries to players on your favorite teams.

Oh and Hedley, of course you had to dumb it down for him to get it. Consider your audience.

Right there

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Do you realize this could be life threatening to Glavine?

1. Get your facts straight. Nothing anyone has written has ever said it was life threatening. Career threatning, yes. Plenty of people have moved on from career ending injuries and are living quite successfully.

2. Stop being so motherf-cking sensitive. The fact that Glavine's a Met is the only reason you give a damn. You're a Met fan. Most of the rest of us aren't. We wish the guy well, but we don't give a damn. He doesn't give a damn about us, or you. You don't give a damn about us. We don't give a damn about you.

3. Go back and read all the :censored: you posted about loving to see the replay of the horrific Joe Theismann injury, then try to come back and say something about it not being right to be happy about injuries. You probably mean it's not right for us to be happy about injuries to players on your favorite teams.

Oh and Hedley, of course you had to dumb it down for him to get it. Consider your audience.

Right there

You consider "dumbing it down for you" an insult? Everyone else got it. You didn't. I was doing you a favor. I should get a medal and a brew of my choice.

So what do you consider "Jackass" and "Go :censored: yourself"? Just curious.....

Itr was a response to the attack that I should not of done and there was no reason for Jigga to interject himself in this.

I said my peace but you had to resume it tonight.

ANd I happene to know of somebody who died of a blood clot traveling from their leg to their lung, it can just as easily happen from the leg to the heart too.

I was stating a fact that blood clots cna be fatal.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

(May the Mets stumble and collapse upon themselves..again)

Again? When has that ever happened where they've been expected to win and have "stumble and collapse upon themselves"? Unlike a certain team that stole the tomahawk chop who choke year-in-year-out in the playoffs. Fortunately you won't have to watch the ATL spit the bit in the postseason for a while. :D

I'd say the past 3 years, when everyone said it was their time. (Didn't y'all end up 24 back one year not too long ago?

But you know, if the Mets do win, that'll be fine with me. They can have the NL East curse of being good all year then getting their asses handed to them by a wildcard.

That'd be fine with me.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

In attempting to steer this conversation back to its at least secondary purpose, The Braves suck? yeah, 14 years winning your division sure sucks. Faulting the Braves for only winning one World Series is idiotic.

Glavine is a greedy, money-grubbling, bad-for-baseball, traitor. He went to a division rival for 11mil, rather than stay with the team that brought him up and made his career for 10 mil. If the company who paid for my school, trained me, and allowed me to work on phenominal projects was offering me 100k per year, and some competitor was offering 110k/ year, I woudlnt even dream of coming close to taking it. But thats because I have standards and loyalty, neither of which Glavine has.

I'm glad to see the Mets' team worse off. I'm glad to see Glavine not pitching.

I do hope that the blood clot is not fatal.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

there was no reason for Jigga to interject himself in this.

It's a topic on a freaking message board of which I happen to be a member. I am able to post on any damn thread I so choose. Just because you and Hedley were involved in an exchange does not mean that no one else is able to interject. I brought up three things that I thought were germane to the conversation, especially your point that it's not right to cheer for injuries.

Go ahead and say whatever you want about me. I obviously can take it. I don't need to resort to "go :censored: yourself" and wishing I was dead. This is the second time in less than a year that you have mentioned how you wish you were dead. I think you need to step the hell away from the keyboard and go get some help. There is nothing normal about wishing you were dead. I worry more about your symptomatic display of depression than Tom Glavine's possible blood clot in his shoulder.

So to recap:

1. I can post in any damn thread I want. It's not interjecting in a public forum. If you want to have a private exchange, PM him.

2. You wishing you were dead is not something I take lightly. I really think you need to get help, Frank. I've been depressed, and even took Zoloft for a little while.

3. Every topic could use a little Jigga!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So to recap:

1. I can post in any damn thread I want. It's not interjecting in a public forum. If you want to have a private exchange, PM him.

2. You wishing you were dead is not something I take lightly. I really think you need to get help, Frank. I've been depressed, and even took Zoloft for a little while.

3. Every topic could use a little Jigga!

Well...... I for one ...... don't need to wish I'm dead......

..... I'm already DEAD! :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Honestly, that's great news. You always fear the worst when you hear of stuff like that. If we wasn't able to pitch, the Mets would have been toast.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Blood CLOTS CAN BE FATAL!!!!

A deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot (thrombus) that develops in a deep vein, usually in the leg. This can happen if the vein is damaged or if the flow of blood slows down or stops. Deep vein thrombosis can cause pain in the leg, and can lead to complications if it breaks off and travels in the bloodstream to the lungs.

Tank, don't take this as a personal attack, but since you steered the conversational into my neck of the woods by quoting medical literature, it's time to punch a hole or two in your "life-threatening" line of thought.

Your statement, which I quoted, about DVT is 100% correct and on the money.

However:

1. Glavine's condition involves an artery, your "proof" is irrelevant. Yes, DVTs are fatal - but since Glavine's condition doesn't involve a vein of any kind, much less one of the deep veins of the lower extremity, it adds ZERO to your argument.

2. Arterial clots are pushed AWAY from the heart until they lodge into something too small to allow the clot to pass through. So the worst that could have happened to Glavine is that his finger would have stayed cool, and eventually turned black as the tissue normally nourished by the blood in the (obstructed) artery dies. Life goes on, he lives another day. Arterial clots are life threatening if they choke off blood supply to a vessel serving the heart (myocardial infarction), the brain (stroke) or a major organ (colon, kidney), but not if they're found in the arms or legs. DVTs are life-threatening because pieces of the clot are prone to break off and work their way through the right half of the heart before working their way into the pulmonary arteries, where they plug up the lung. A pulmonary embolus (PE) is frequently life-threatening, because it impairs the body's ability to get oxygen into blood and carbon dioxide out.

3. Glavine's issue isn't even directly a clot, further rendering your DVT-based line of reasoning moot. Glavine has a buildup of scar tissue that narrows the lumen of the artery serving his fingers. Any narrowing - or any branch point in an artery - disturbs flow and makes it harder for blood to reach its destination. If the flow is choked off enough, a clot may form - which is what likely happened. But if he takes a daily baby aspirin, it will keep the platelets in his blood from clumping together so easily. If the blood doesn't clump, it won't form clots. His finger will be fine.

If you're going to use medical literature, please make sure that it backs up the point you're seeking to justify. While DVTs are life-threatening, Glavine never had a DVT in this entire episode. This was overreaching on your part, and didn't serve any utility in your argument.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Ummmm....... Mods?

Sorry, ModDB isn't listing any mods for a game involving one-sided ownage on an Internet Message Board, especially with the added feature of incomprehensible English spelling or grammar for the outmanned and outgunned side. Sorry. :(

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived