Pittsburgh "33" in end zone at Heinz Field

usahockeyrube

Can anyone tell me what this means? Does it have anything to do with Rolling Rock?

Purely an educated guess, but the team was founded in 1933 (as the Pittsburgh Pirates).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Well, Rolling Rock Beer based in Latrobe, PA has a "33" on all of their bottles, and Latrobe is also home to the Steelers training camp.

It's a not that big of a stretch.

I'm told the "33" on the bottles are there to mark the year Prohibition was repealed. I'm not sure if that's true though.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Rolling Rock's no longer made in Latrobe, sadly.

Wow... I just read more about this. That sucks. F-ing Budweiser is taking over everything...

In the late 1980's I worked at what is basically Latrobe's only radio station of note, WCNS. I used to put the station on auto-pilot and go out to the plant, where a friend of mine would hook me up with a 6-pack or 12-pack or whatever he could sneak out. Used to go back to the station and get royally hammered, even going so far one night as to direct-feed the closest competing station's signal through our transmitter - in effect simulcasting for the competition.

Ah, to be young, lazy, :censored:faced and not concerned with FCC regs...

nav-logo.png

I dont think its for rolling rock.

Rolling Rock is heavily associated with the Steelers, but I always thought the "'33" was because they were started in 1933.

A better question is why Heinz replaced the 57 on the top of the bottle with a 36.

oBIgzrL.png

Rolling Rock is heavily associated with the Steelers, but I always thought the "'33" was because they were started in 1933.

We may have a winner.

Hey, I said that yesterday. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think they changed the 57 to 36 because it represents how many different ketchups they make, and they now only make 36.

Wow, I have no idea why there needs to be three dozen kinds of ketchup. But I'm sure there's a reason.

Its not Ketchups...it was in reference to the items of stuff they made.

However, they never manufactured 57 items. Even when the phrase came out they had over 60. In 1969 they had over 1,100!!

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_195

Heinz is obsessed with 57. Its phone number (xxx-5757), PO Box (P.O. Box 57), and the amount of money they paid the steelers to sponsor Heinz Field ($57 million) all are strongly connected to 57.

Archived