Clemens done....

pcgd

Roger Clemens might have pitched his last game tonight leaving in the 5th inning against the Cardinals. He went out and took his warmups for the 6th and was pulled after that to a standing ovation. He took the ball with him to the dugout and came out for a curtain call.

He may be back next year of course, you never know with him. But for some reason, I think it'll stick.

He's not the best pitcher ever, but he's definatly one of the best 2 or 3 of our generation. As much as I hate the guy from his days as a yankee and as an astro, I've got to say what he's done over his career is nothing short of legendary, not even considering he did it all in the Juice era.

He could have a turn in the rotation this year, depending on the Astro's playoff possibilities. But tonight was likely his last game for the year, and possibly for his career.

Thoughts on Roger and his status as one of the all time greats...

Best pitcher of his era, by far, IMHO. Completely reinvented himself at an advanced age.

I'm not going to give him any extra points that he's been dominant in the "Steroid Era" because I have my suspicions that he was one of the many to actually use illegal performance enhancing substances.

Last year, I thought he was done, but he's pitched really well for an offensively challenged squad. I think he'll be back next year, but not with Houston. So, get that size XXL #22 jersey ready up in Beantown, The Rocket is a-comin' home!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So, get that size XXL #22 jersey ready up in Beantown, The Rocket is a-comin' home!

please dear God no, don't kill the D-Rays by signing the Rocket, they get killed bad enough by the likes of who the Sox and Yanks have already.

All in all, I will always remember "The Rocket". I loved despising him as an Yankee and Red Sock, and loved rubbing it in the face of my Yankee fan friends when he signed with Houston. No matter where he plays from now on (whether or not he plays again is up in the air), he will always be The Rocket and will be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, pitcher ever of all time.

I'll never forget the first time I ever heard of Roger Clemens, he thought he was a chicken. But anyway, there's no denying he gets into the Hall of Fame. And I feel stupid for asking but does he go in as a member of the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Yankees, or Astros? I?m not sure how it?s chosen.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

I'll never forget the first time I ever heard of Roger Clemens, he thought he was a chicken. But anyway, there's no denying he gets into the Hall of Fame. And I feel stupid for asking but does he go in as a member of the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Yankees, or Astros? I?m not sure how it?s chosen.

I would imagine it's his choice. Seeing as how he only spent two seasons in Toronto, I can't imagine he'd go in as a Blue Jay.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I think he should retire, and re-focus his energies on opening up his Roger Clemens Wood Roasted Chicken restaurant chain in Rhode Island.

Best. Chicken. I. Had. In 1993. :D

I think he should retire, and re-focus his energies on opening up his Roger Clemens Wood Roasted Chicken restaurant chain in Rhode Island.

Best. Chicken. I. Had. In 1993. :D

"What have you done to my starting pitcher?" :P

That was a great episode.

He was a great pitcher, but I think he's worn out his retirement welcome. He's almost retired so many times that when he finally does, it won't really matter. IMHO he should have retired as a Yankee a few seasons ago.

Clemens is a great pitcher, and an arrogant bastard who likes to :censored: with teams to get more money.

He said if he didn't pitch for the Red Sox, he'd like to pitch closer to home, whether it was Texas or Houston. So he went to Toronto, CANADA, a division rival.

He left Toronto for another division rival, the Yankees, because he only wanted to play for a World Series contending team, instead of trying to lead the Jays to the title.

He finally retired before his contract was done, and said he was going home to Houston. While everyone else in the world took this as retirement, Clemens meant "home to Houston to play with the Astros and my old teammate Andy Pettitte".

Clemens is a liar who goes back on his word, and is rarely pitches well under pressure. He will surely be in the Hall of Fame, and hopefully there will be room next to his plaque for his ego as well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If the Astros are in the playoff hunt again next season, he'll be back

There are a lot of teams with better chances then the Astros. If he wants a ring that badly he should go to an AL team.

At this point in his career, it's up to him who he plays for. If Houston wasn't open two years ago, I believe he would have called it quits. My money is that he'll play in Houston because he doesn't have to travel at all, and really, he has the money to walk away whenever he wants.

Up until he signed with the Astros, the only thing he had left to do was play for the 'Hometohn' team, and he's done that. I doubt he'll want to play for anyone else at this stage. The only reason he came back this year was because at the time Houston had a chance, and he lives in the state, so there he was. He has his WS ring already, so he'd only be playing to win the ring with 'his' team now

Archived