2006 MLB Award Choices

NJTank

NL manager of the year should be Joe Giradi (sp?) from Florida. According to most people "in the know" , that team was going to lose 120 games this year. They were in the playoff hunt up until the last 2 or 3 weeks of the season. The fact that he is getting fired is a travesty.

A Marlin will be ROY.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I think your bias gave you Willie Randolph instead of Girardi.

My bias wants Rolen for Comeback Player, Carpenter for Cy Young, and Pujols for MVP.

And I think there's cases to be made for all of that, but it's all so close in all those things that it's not like there's really a wrong option.

I guess I'd argue for Albert more than any of the others (I know, big surprise eh?) just because he's so much better than Howard in the "clutch" categories and the special stats like winshares, and with side notes to the fact that a full season of projected stats (without injury time) is as good as Howard and that his defense is Gold Glove worthy while Howard's is average at best. And playoffs might be a factor, though it's not one I necessarily care to use as an argument.

Don't think I can actually argue if Howard gets it though.

Just because Jeter symbolizes the Yankees, doesn't mean he deserves the MVP. Though, this has been one of his best seasons.

The problem with deciding the MVP, has to do with its definition. What does it mean? Does it mean "best player"? Or does, it mean "Most Valuable"?

I'd like to see Morneau from the Twins get it, because the big market teams get too much attention. Or, maybe Thomas from the A's.

However, the only stat that counts is wins. And which team would be the worst off without their player... without a doubt the Red Sox without David Ortiz.

However, i don't think there is a clear-cut winner this year. It's a stupid idea for an award, they should just give out an award for each position. Or maybe one award to each spot in the batting order.

You can't compare Ortiz to Jeter. Jeter is supposed to get on base, Ortiz is supposed to drive people like him, in.

The Randolph pick is the only one I kinda disagree with, but they did have the best record(by far) in the NL, so I can't really say he's not a deserving candidate.

I can only think that Weaver'd be AL ROY if he had played the full season.

My problem with Randolph is that the Mets were SUPPOSED to be the best team in the league. And while they had a few tough injuries, it's not like something major came up that they fought through.

Last year Tony La Russa didn't get MOY because the Cards were supposed to be the best team. Voters didn't care that half their lineup was out for 2 months with injuries plus a lot of other scattered injuries. All that mattered was they finished how they were predicted to finish. Instead Cox got MOY because he did way more than the Braves were anticipated to do at the beginnng of the year.

So, if that's how the system works, it has to go to Girardi.

I agree with most of the picks.

I think it's been a given that Leyland will win MOY for so long that we are just used to it, but what about Gardenhire? His team won the division, though only 1 game above Detroit--

So which matters more?

1. Leyland coming in with all those young players and taking a perenially bad team to 95 wins.

2. Gardenhire turning a team around and continuing to find ways to win with two of his three good starters being injured?

OK, put that way, I will go with Leyland, but Gardy is clear cut #2 and closed the gap a bit.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't get how abybody can say Jeter should be MVP. His team is filled with All-Stars. A-rod, cabrera, Giambi, Cano, Mussina, Wang, Rivera. And his stats aren't great. Yeah, he had a high batting average, but 14 HR, come on 5 Yankees had more. 97 RBI, only good for third on his team. Good season sure, but MVP, no way. But that may just be my bias speaking out :D

saBS.png

I don't get how abybody can say Jeter should be MVP. His team is filled with All-Stars. A-rod, cabrera, Giambi, Cano, Mussina, Wang, Rivera. And his stats aren't great. Yeah, he had a high batting average, but 14 HR, come on 5 Yankees had more. 97 RBI, only good for third on his team. Good season sure, but MVP, no way. But that may just be my bias speaking out :D

97 RBI's for someone batting 2nd in the lineup is pretty damn good.

Justin Morneau, without Morneau and Mauer, the Twins would be nowhere, The Yankees have Jeter, Giambi, A-Rod, Johnny Damon, Cano, Posada....its endless, they were suppose to win the division, the twins are the division champs, they beat out the defending WS Champs and the Tigers, and serious pre-season contenders the Indians.

Prince Fielder should be Rookie of the Year in the National League. He led all rookies in home runs and is just going to get better next year as he grows into his role as the Brewers top power hitter. RBIs are great, but they're a function of luck more than anything (i.e. where you hit in the lineup, whether or not the hitters in front of you can get on base, etc.).

QPR%20Sig.png

I think Frank Thomas over Thome for Come Back POY. He is the A's offense.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Archived