Liverpool goes sponsorless

chuck kaiton

Liverpool's primary sponsor is Carlsburg beer.

France does not allow alcohol or tobacco advertising during sporting events as a stronger policy than the European Union on tobacco/alcohol. I think it started around 1998, but you can go to wikipedia to see the exact year. France has also relaxed it somewhat, but it still does include sports. That is why if you watch the Formula 1 French Grand Prix, the tobacco sponsored cars have different livery. F1 and EU are still battling the fact that tobacco and booze sponsors might not be seen, hence the addition of China, Malaysia, Turkey, and possibly Korea to the F1 schedule of 16-17 races. Those nations have not restrictions for now and are generally seen as teh emerging markets for tobacco and alcohol producers, if alcohol/tobacco are not banned by law.

Ex.: Team McLaren Mercedes places the driver's names on the side pods.

Thanks- I figure it had something to do with alcohol but couldn't figure out why they never had a problem in other CL games. On a semi-related note, Werder Bremen doesn't wear their gambling website sponsor in CL games, leading to this bizarre look:

pool-1.jpg

:shocked::shocked: How weird is that??? France does not allow alcohol advertising? Their #1 export is wine. Without it, their economy would be in the crapper. I figure it's really just good old France only looking out for themselves--don't let anything but wine on alcohol advertising. Just another disgusting, disingenuous frog-ish piece of... :cursing:

Commissioner of the Northern Lights Hockey Association (NLHA), Founded 1981 with Albert M. Tischler. Owner Minnesota Griffins 6 time AURORA BOREALIS CUP winners. Defending Champion 2011 is Houston Roughnecks.

I asked this question in another thread few weeks ago but maybe I'll find the answer here. As we already know Werder Bremen uses sponsorless shirts for Champions League, Sporting Braga also removed their Sportingbet ad during UEFA Cup games but do you know why AC Milan is still allowed to advertise bwin?

5766d07c187a3ff9c0c7010fdee63eb8.jpg

In today's Champions League match against Bordeaux, Liverpool's jerseys did not have the Carlseberg logo on them. Does anybody know what this is about?

kind of ironic in the fact that liverpool were the first english side to have a shirt sponsor, hitachi, circa 1977-78.

btw, has anyone ever compiled a historical listing of shirt sponsors for england, germany, italy and spain clubs?? i'm not asking about france, cuz i remember in the 80's, many french sides had as many as three or four sponsors at once for an amazingly cluttered look!

thanks in advance.

tb

Thanks- I figure it had something to do with alcohol but couldn't figure out why they never had a problem in other CL games. On a semi-related note, Werder Bremen doesn't wear their gambling website sponsor in CL games, leading to this bizarre look:

pool-1.jpg

:shocked::shocked: How weird is that??? France does not allow alcohol advertising? Their #1 export is wine. Without it, their economy would be in the crapper. I figure it's really just good old France only looking out for themselves--don't let anything but wine on alcohol advertising. Just another disgusting, disingenuous frog-ish piece of... :cursing:

I like it. I think it has a nice cleanish look like some of the WC jerseys.

In today's Champions League match against Bordeaux, Liverpool's jerseys did not have the Carlseberg logo on them. Does anybody know what this is about? Also, who told Barca that gold numbers on neon orange jerseys looked good?

pool.jpg

That isn't the Liverpool team. It's Werder Bremen, a German team.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Take a look at those Liverpool jerseys - they're definitely only for the Champions League, as they don't have the standard EPL numbers.

In regards to AC Milan, it might just be that Italy allows it. That said, just as a thought, when Arsenal and Hamburg play against each other in the Champions League, one team or the other would have to change their jerseys, as both of them are sponsored by Emirates -- and it's against Champions League policy for both teams to advertise the same sponsor. This has happened this year, with Arsenal switching to "Dubai" in their yellow uniforms (they also have yellow unis that say "Emirates" which they wore against CSKA Moscow.

LvZYtbZ.png

....but the picture in the thread is Werder Bremen. here's a picture from today's game vs. Bayern Munich (which Bremen won):

vanbommel-275.jpg

here's Crouch after scoring against Bordeaux:

crouch_get500u.jpg

Note when you're watching the Champion's League games being played in France that the Heineken sponsor boards instead say "Champion's Planet".

as to Bremen's sponsorship with bet-win....it's not even showing up on their Bundesliga shirts (above it says "We win!"), and isn't represented on their shirts at Colours (scroll to the bottom of the page). I think there is a rule against gambling sponsorships on shirts in Germany, it's the only logical explanation.

and in your explanation of the alcohol laws above, dfwabel, you say Arrows were sponsored by Benson and Hedges - nope, that would have been Jordan (and, for part of last year, Midland F1). But, yes, F1 runs tobacco and alcohol-less in France.

harperdc.gif

I think there is a rule against gambling sponsorships on shirts in Germany, it's the only logical explanation.

It seems to be more that gambling is controlled by state monopolies in Germany, if I'm reading the following article correctly, and they don't want other Internet companies horning in on that.

International Herald Tribune

Archived