Whoa Nellie!

Fred T. Jane

The news just broke on SportsCenter, that Philadelphia Flyers GM Bobby Clarke has stepped down, and head coach Ken Hitchcock has been fired. I for one am shocked why they would do this with such geniuses behind the bench and front office, but to each their own. :P

News Conference at 10:00AM EDT. I'll be at church, so someone's going to have to pick up the slack for me. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Story from Philly.com

A few days ago, Flyers owner Ed Snider vowed to change things after the Flyers were hammered by the Buffaslugs 9-1. He vowed radical changes. Well, here you go.

I wholeheartedly agree with the ousting of Clarke (you'd have to think that Snider forced him to resign), because the man still thinks that he can win the Stanley Cup the way that the Broad Street Bullies did. It's brought the team success, yes, and they've made the playoffs every year since 1995. But it's really unacceptable to see the team get beat year after year by faster clubs such as Ottawa, Buffalo, and New Jersey (among others). I've said since... 1999, I suppose, that the Flyers would never win a cup under Clarke, and this is a need change in my opinion.

As for the firing of Hitchcock? Not so much. Lindy Rupp's thoughts on him aside, the man is to hockey what Larry Brown is to basketball. Maybe not on the same "Legendary status" as Brown is, but you get the point. Honestly, he was one of the people I actually liked, and the only coach/manager in Philadelphia whose competence I have not questioned.

We'll see what happens, right?

philly.png

I've never agreed with the way that Bobby Clarke has managed that hockey club, after such a long reign at the head of the team, for them to grow they need a new man at the top to rebuild this franchise.

Obviously, they are very serious about it this time. It's one thing to say "We're going to do something baout this." and then look in the total wrong direction, but they've started right at the top this time. Good for them for cleaning the attic.

So, guesses on who is going to come in and take over? Quinn is still out there, though with the make-up of this club it might not work for him...and where do you think Ken is going to end up? I like him as a coach, he can work with talent, but he's lacking when it comes to a transitional team.

Ed Snider doesn't F around. You can question the decisions and the results, but the man wants to win. Other owners can learn a lesson from him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bobby Clarke needed to be fired a few years ago.

As for the firing of Hitchcock, well that's a Clarke type of move that should have gotten him fired a few years ago. I think Hitch was one of the best things about the Flyers, even with the losing lately. He's a smart guy, he would have made that team play better.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Bobby Clarke needed to be fired a few years ago.

As for the firing of Hitchcock, well that's a Clarke type of move that should have gotten him fired a few years ago. I think Hitch was one of the best things about the Flyers, even with the losing lately. He's a smart guy, he would have made that team play better.

Didn't Hitchcock have a lot of say in the post-Lockout composition of the team? If that's the case, then he should have been fired. That bunch of statues is proof positive that the Flyers didn't get the memo about the change in style of play.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The Flyers are a genuine mess and I love it. :D

I completely agree here, Tank. I'm enjoyin' my coffe....er, Philly misery.

On a side note, I'm whole-heartedly sure that the Flyers are awful solely because Hitch got rid of the 'stache.

Archived