Bill Belichick

Grish

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw on Sportscenter that the NFL is going to let Jack Del Rio and Mike Nolan test drive wearing suits on the sidelines. The suits will be made by, you guessed it.....Reebok.

Haha, "test drive."

"This is crazy."

"Yeah, so crazy it just...might...work."

Michael Irvin ripped the NFL about this topic on the Dan Patrick show. He made it clear it was all about dollars with Patrick and Olberman agreeing. Refreshing to hear on a national broadcast. I'd compare this to the NBA, where well dressed coaches have some dignity and command respect (as long as you forget the 70s). Imagine the NFL rubbbing off on the NBA and you have coaches in sweatpants and whistles aroung their necks. The NFL should require a dress code for its coaches like the NBA does its players. I'd guess the league sells 100% more jerseys and sideline caps than it does coaches shirts.

No dress codes for NFL coaches. This isn't Cuba. The coaches have many different options from Reebok. A suit and tie does not suit a football coach (and the dignity stuff is just crap). Let Belichick dress like a slob if he wants to. That him. Let Tony Dungy dress with turtleneck and sweater vest. That's him. If Andy Reid wants to dress in all black from head-to-toe, that's fine. That is what he is comfortable with. If Mike Nolan wants to wear a suit and tie, fine. Most coaches won't want to do this, so it might make Nolan stand out as being unique.

And, the NBA does have a dress code for its coaches. They mandate that you have to wear a suit. Those rules have been in place for a long time.

From all I have heard he is a complete jackass outside of football.

Well, you obviously haven't heard from my wife.

About four years ago, she was seated next to Belichick on a flight from Boston to Salt Lake City. With the exception of a short 25-minute nap that he took, Belichick spent the entire flight chatting amiably with her. She said that he was quite gregarious... very forthcoming with stories and information about himself, but just as interested - if not more so - in tales of my wife's upbringing, family, marriage, career, etc.

My wife said it was one of the most pleasant flights she's ever taken... and that Belichick was one of the nicest people she'd ever met.

About four years ago, she was seated next to Belichick on a flight from Boston to Salt Lake City. With the exception of a short 25-minute nap that he took, Belichick spent the entire flight chatting amiably with her. She said that he was quite gregarious... very forthcoming with stories and information about himself, but just as interested - if not more so - in tales of my wife's upbringing, family, marriage, career, etc.

My wife said it was one of the most pleasant flights she's ever taken... and that Belichick was one of the nicest people she'd ever met.

He probably wanted to do her, like he does with other people's wives.

That only proves again that people tend to classify people by the way they look. Stupid stupid mistake. People, get it! Not everybody that wears a suit is nice and decent. That is thinking like if we were in the early 1800's. Today people can wear what they want, why, because of a thing called freedom!

You guys say that you are the country of "freedom", yet want to tell a $%& football coach what to wear on football games? Man, no wonder the rest of the world hates the US government because they go to all countries telling them what policy to adopt.

Let him wear what he wants, he feels comfortable like that. What's in that to despise? He looks like a slob? That's your opinion. And that tells more about the person who has that opinion than from the person to which the adjective is supposed to label.

Let everybody do whatever they want, give peace a chance!

He probably wanted to do her, like he does with other people's wives.

No. My wife is a tremendously intuitive person. She said Belichick just struck her as someone who was genuinely interested in hearing about her upbringing in a military family, the life path she had taken and her willingness to move to Los Angeles to support my career. Nothing more, nothing less.

And, the NBA does have a dress code for its coaches. They mandate that you have to wear a suit. Those rules have been in place for a long time.

Actually, the NBA mandates that its coaches wear a blazer, not a suit. It does not have to be with a tie. The blazer is also not to be removed during the game. Now that Don Nelson is back in coaching, you can see him rock the blazer-over-turtleneck look. I want to say that Poppovich in San Antonio has done the same.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I posted this is the Nolan/Del Rio thread about suits on the sideline, but since it pertains directly to Belichick, I figured I'd put it in here too.

From today's Boston Globe:

Belichick may be suiting up

By Carol Beggy & Mark Shanahan | November 17, 2006

Is Bill Belichick about to hang up his signature hoodie? With the announcement that the NFL will once more let coaches wear suits on the sidelines, sounds like Belichick may suddenly get serious about style. Talking to reporters yesterday, the Pats coach didn't rule out wearing Roberto Cavalli someday. "If I had an option to wear [a suit], would I wear one? I'd consider it, yeah," said Belichick, who'll never be accused of being Michael Kors. "I would definitely consider it." Because the NFL has a lucrative endorsement deal with Reebok to make and market all sideline apparel, the league had previously denied requests from coaches to wear suits. But now that Reebok's unveiled a stylish suit, 49ers coach Mike Nolan and Jacksonville's Jack Del Rio have been given the green light to get dressed up. "In all my years as a head coach, I've never one time in a league meeting, or through the league, or anything else, ever been consulted, asked, or even had a conversation about sideline apparel other than, 'This is what you have to do,' " Belichick said yesterday. Asked if he'd wear a fedora a la legendary coaches Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi, the laconic coach wasn't so sure. "I'd have to rent one of those," said Belichick. "Honest to God, I don't even know that it's an option."

You guys say that you are the country of "freedom", yet want to tell a $%& football coach what to wear on football games? Man, no wonder the rest of the world hates the US government because they go to all countries telling them what policy to adopt.

Yet another poster unclear on the concept.

The NFL already tells coaches what they can and cannot wear. What's new is that the coaches are being given another choice.

I'm just sayin', he has a history of firing the ol' Patriot Missile at people's wives.

proof?

Right here.

That only proves again that people tend to classify people by the way they look. Stupid stupid mistake. People, get it! Not everybody that wears a suit is nice and decent. That is thinking like if we were in the early 1800's. Today people can wear what they want, why, because of a thing called freedom!

Let him wear what he wants, he feels comfortable like that. What's in that to despise? He looks like a slob? That's your opinion. And that tells more about the person who has that opinion than from the person to which the adjective is supposed to label.

Let everybody do whatever they want, give peace a chance!

I'd love to see you deliver that speech to just about any employer. Seriously, give that speech at your job and see what happens. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm just sayin', he has a history of firing the ol' Patriot Missile at people's wives.

proof?

Right here.

So this one ACCUSATION officially qualifies him as having a "history" of "firing the ol' Patriot Missle at people's wives" ?

<_<

Yep. Not just any old accusation, but an under oath court document.

Again, homerism might be fun but the Surgeon General says that it may be harmful to your integrity. :P

Archived