Bill Belichick

Grish

If you think that pro sports equate with real life in any way, you would have to believe that a worker in a "real-life" job would not get fired for:

1) Carrying a gun into his workplace

2) Killing someone in a DUI, then repeatedly being caught in subsequent DUIs

3) Carrying drugs through airport security

4) Choking his boss TWICE

5) Attempting to punch clients

6) Questioning the sexuality of his co-workers

7) Spending 4 months in jail on cocaine trafficking charges

8) Appearing in a video telling kids to stop snitching on gang members

9) Taking a punch at his boss

All the professional athletes involved with these incidents returned to play in their respective leagues. The fourth scenario is the only one that even involved the athlete's team cutting him. And we haven't even mentioned the Najeh Davenport incident yet.

By that logic, Belichick should be allowed to walk the sidelines dressed up like the guy from Judas Priest if he wants to. After all, the people who make the sports world go 'round are above the laws of common decency in the normal work world.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By that logic, Belichick should be allowed to walk the sidelines dressed up like the guy from Judas Priest if he wants to. After all, the people who make the sports world go 'round are above the laws of common decency in the normal work world.

Hell bent for leather!!!!

0602_rob_halford_b.jpg

After watching the Monday night game where it looked as if Belichick had just finished cutting the hood and sleeves off of his sweater with a pair of scissors, I have to wonder if he's trying to make a statement about how ridiculous the NFL's rules regarding sideline apparel are. They'll allow a coach to look like some sort of escaped maniac just so long as he's wearing Reebok logo, but a professional looking suit and tie are completely unacceptable.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned baseball, where the head man wears a uniform ?? That's the most ridiculous thing in sports as far as coaching attire goes. Let's bring THAT over to the NFL! :D

There should be a dress code for NFL coaches.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It's a holdover from the days of player-managers, and a dugout is no place to wear nice clothes, anyway. I'd rather see skippers in full uniforms than Jim Leyland's nipple-shirt.

It's a holdover from the days of player-managers, and a dugout is no place to wear nice clothes, anyway. I'd rather see skippers in full uniforms than Jim Leyland's nipple-shirt.

I always thought the best outfit for manager would be jeans and polo (jacket if it's cold).

If you think that pro sports equate with real life in any way, you would have to believe that a worker in a "real-life" job would not get fired for:

1) Carrying a gun into his workplace

2) Killing someone in a DUI, then repeatedly being caught in subsequent DUIs

3) Carrying drugs through airport security

4) Choking his boss TWICE

5) Attempting to punch clients

6) Questioning the sexuality of his co-workers

7) Spending 4 months in jail on cocaine trafficking charges

8) Appearing in a video telling kids to stop snitching on gang members

9) Taking a punch at his boss

All the professional athletes involved with these incidents returned to play in their respective leagues. The fourth scenario is the only one that even involved the athlete's team cutting him. And we haven't even mentioned the Najeh Davenport incident yet.

No, you're putting words in my mouth. I never argued that there shouldn't be standards at all for what pro athletes and coaches should wear or do. I simply said that the standards they use doesn't compare in any way to the standards that the rest of the world uses.

That said, I would pay good money to see Belichich dressed up like Judas Priest.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

After watching the Monday night game where it looked as if Belichick had just finished cutting the hood and sleeves off of his sweater with a pair of scissors, I have to wonder if he's trying to make a statement about how ridiculous the NFL's rules regarding sideline apparel are. They'll allow a coach to look like some sort of escaped maniac just so long as he's wearing Reebok logo, but a professional looking suit and tie are completely unacceptable.

I wouldn't put it past him. Belichick's sense of humor with the injury report is quite indicative that he thinks NFL rules are outright silly.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wouldn't put it past him. Belichick's sense of humor with the injury report is quite indicative that he thinks NFL rules are outright silly.

What I don't get is why can't a coach wear a suite if he wears a Reebok lapel pin? The pin, and either a team tie or a team logo on the breast pocket would suite both the NFL and Reebok.

• 2 weeks later...

This from the NFL new and notes...

Potential target: Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter can be a handful and certainly deserves some of the attention he gets from the league office.

But he makes an interesting point when suggesting he gets singled out sometimes.

Unable to play due to hamstring injury when the Steelers lost at Atlanta on Oct. 22, he walked the sideline dressed in NFL-issued sweats, but with the legs cut shorter.

He said he was told if he wore them that way again he would be fined by the league.

"(Patriots Coach Bill) Belichick cuts his sweats on his sleeves every game. What's the difference?" Porter argued. "That lets you know I'm a target. I'm not even playing and they still want to fine me."

You can debate sleaves versus pants but how is it the shabbily attired active coach (the white man in power) can wear what he wants and the black inactive player gets fine for his sweatpants

RobbyBox2.jpg

For anyone who doesnt pay attention to the NFL or the Patriots, Bill is not a loud or outgoing person. He doesnt like attention and his attire matches that perfectly. It's become sort of his trademark (that and winning). But I guess you're stupid if you wear a sweatshirt, thats what it's all about really. Superbowl rings dont mean a thing in the NFL... Oh Wait.....

I know that's the perception, but I think that dressing like a slob is itself about attracting attention.

Nothing wrong with that, every successful person has an ego, but I don't like pretending that he's somehow above such concerns. That I don't buy.

And no one has a bigger ego than Bill Bellichek. This is a guy who ran Bernie Kosar (and then literarly the team) out of Cleveland, he quit a day after being named the Jets head coach, he tried to prevent his assistant from taking the Jets head coaching job, and the Branch situation along with others during his coaching time. From all I have heard he is a complete jackass outside of football. An example is his dealings with Mangini after each Jets game this year where is practically doesn't even shake his hand (he did this last time but it was a very quick and cold hand shake. Mangini went to give him a good luck hug and got that type of hand shake.)

I'm not going to put him in the same class as a Don Shula or Bill Walsh. I think he is one of the great game planners ever (his Superbowl XXV gameplan against the Bills was brilliant) but his dealings with players leaves a lot to be desired. I think many people are quick to forget his Cleveland days where he alienated practically everybody and help lead to the Browns moving from Cleveland. I think he got a good Patriots team that was completely miscoached before hand by Carroll and then got lucky with Tom Brady to make that team great. Personally looking over their entire coaching careers I rather have Bellichek's long time boss Bill Parcells than Bill Belichek. Bellichek is a great coach and one of the best today but I'm not going to say he is an all time great coach.

As for his wardrobe there is a difference between him and a player that wears his socks to low. The NFL can make money one the way Belichek dress they can't on the socks. Like someone said before they sell those hoodies for $75 dollars and I'm sure they sell more of them because Belichek wears them on the sideline.

As for his wardrobe there is a difference between him and a player that wears his socks to low. The NFL can make money one the way Belichek dress they can't on the socks. Like someone said before they sell those hoodies for $75 dollars and I'm sure they sell more of them because Belichek wears them on the sideline.

If he wants to wear the hoodie, that's fine. It's the cutting off teh hood the sleeves that makes him look like a bum.

If he wants to wear the hoodie, that's fine. It's the cutting off teh hood the sleeves that makes him look like a bum.

I never said he didn't look like a bum. I'm saying the NFL won't come down on him because they make money off of him looking like that. I'm surprised that the NFL doesn't sell the hoodie with the sleeves cut off like that for say $50.

They need to bring back the sweaters with the team names across the chest from the 80's Ditka always wore them with a tie and it looked classy, Don Shula and Chuck Noll also wore them sans tie and it still looked 10 times better than the goofy stuff the coaches wear now.

Fred- and everybody else who thinks you can somehow equate actions of NFL players and coaches with people in "normal" jobs- you're way off the mark.

Considering your previous statements stating your opinion of Gregg Easterbrook's intelligence, your opinion is rendered invalid in this ZIP Code.

Thank you for your opinion. If I have an opinion considering a writer who makes vapid generalizations based on specific case studies, where, if not on a message board, might I be allowed to state it?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Michael Irvin ripped the NFL about this topic on the Dan Patrick show. He made it clear it was all about dollars with Patrick and Olberman agreeing. Refreshing to hear on a national broadcast. I'd compare this to the NBA, where well dressed coaches have some dignity and command respect (as long as you forget the 70s). Imagine the NFL rubbbing off on the NBA and you have coaches in sweatpants and whistles aroung their necks. The NFL should require a dress code for its coaches like the NBA does its players. I'd guess the league sells 100% more jerseys and sideline caps than it does coaches shirts.

Did anyone else see that 3/4 length sleeve travesty he was wearing last night against the Jets?! Ugh! It looks like a homeless guy wandered onto the field. Very unprofessional looking!

Hockey coaches all wear suits and ties, basketball coaches for the most part as well. Baseball managers wear the uniform. NFL coaches need a dresscode.

They need to bring back the sweaters with the team names across the chest from the 80's Ditka always wore them with a tie and it looked classy, Don Shula and Chuck Noll also wore them sans tie and it still looked 10 times better than the goofy stuff the coaches wear now.

Ahhh you just brought the oh-so beautiful image in my head of Ditka and Buddy Ryan being taken off the field on the shoulders of the '85 Bears shortly after pummeling the Pats (before they were good) wearing those sweaters you speak of. Good times, goooood times!

I do have to mention that although I actually wasn't a big fan of the sweaters then, they would be a huge improvement now.

Archived