My Red Sox should sign this man!

Swiss

Alright, I wanted the Cubs to win the rights to this guy, but $51 million is out of controll. For a guy who is completely unproven is stupid. I don't care about the NPBL, or the WBC, tell me how he's done in a MLB season... Point is you can't... As far as who could the Sox get for $14-16 mil a year, how about Zito (okay, maybe a few bucks more, but at least he's proven himself in MLB, not a league where half the guys couldn't carry MLB utility players jocks...)?

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if this was done solely as a blacking move by the Sox, just so the Yankees couldn't get their hands on him...

Moose

The Sox have to negotiate with this guy in good faith, or they'll never be able to sign another Asian player. And Zito is NOT worth $14-16 mil per year. He's a soft thrower who has played in a pitcher's park his entire career and has declined recently (his best season, by far, was 2002). His ERA against the Yankees and Red Sox is well over 6, suggesting that he doesn't pitch well in big games against top teams.

Check out Zito's similarity scores: the players most similar to him at this point in his career are Mike Hampton and Ramon Martinez. Good players, definitely, but would anybody want either of them on the payroll for $15 mil a year? Whoever signs Zito is going to be disappointed.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reported $52 mil over 6 years seems like a good deal for both sides, although I'm surprised Boras would want to lock up Matsuzaka for that long before he can realize his "true" market value through free agency.

For the Red Sox, considering that the original $51 mil won't count toward the luxury tax (and thus costs them half as much as $51 mil of salary), this is basically a $77 mil deal for 6 years... not remotely out of line, considering starting pitcher salaries. If Gil Meche can get $11 mil per year, even if this guy isn't all he is written up to be, $13 mil per year is fine.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Wow, $100 million to get an unproven player. Baseball money is getting crazy. Hopefully its just this offseason since it was weak, but I doubt it.

Also, why isn't this guy (or most other international players for that matter) put into the MLB draft? Seriously, thats the fairest way to do it. The NBA and NHL are able to get international players in their drafts. That's one of the biggest arguments I've seen against a salary cap. The Yankees will just spend the money they save on developing international prospects. Well, make it so that they have to draft them in order to obtain them and that problem is solved. Money might not buy a winning team, as stated earlier in the thread, but if contracts continue to be this crazy I think there needs to be a salary cap.

Baseball money is getting crazy.

1992 just called. They want Bobby Bonilla back.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow, $100 million to get an unproven player. Baseball money is getting crazy. Hopefully its just this offseason since it was weak, but I doubt it.

Also, why isn't this guy (or most other international players for that matter) put into the MLB draft? Seriously, thats the fairest way to do it. The NBA and NHL are able to get international players in their drafts. That's one of the biggest arguments I've seen against a salary cap. The Yankees will just spend the money they save on developing international prospects. Well, make it so that they have to draft them in order to obtain them and that problem is solved. Money might not buy a winning team, as stated earlier in the thread, but if contracts continue to be this crazy I think there needs to be a salary cap.

The NHL is allowed to sign players outside of the draft environment(Jon Casey, Ed Belfour, and Junior Lessard to name a few undreafted players). I don't know if the NBA and NFL allow it, but I'd imagine they can. MLB is weird that if the drafted player declines to sign, they go back into the pool and can be redrafted by another team. They don't retain the rights(I disagree with this policy). The NHL can draft a kid in HS idf they want and let amateur clubs in the USHL and NCAA develop them for free.

The NHL is allowed to sign players outside of the draft environment(Jon Casey, Ed Belfour, and Junior Lessard to name a few undreafted players). I don't know if the NBA and NFL allow it, but I'd imagine they can. MLB is weird that if the drafted player declines to sign, they go back into the pool and can be redrafted by another team. They don't retain the rights(I disagree with this policy). The NHL can draft a kid in HS idf they want and let amateur clubs in the USHL and NCAA develop them for free.

Ok, I wasn't aware of the NHL rules. I rarely watch it. I just remember hearing that the Capitals drafter Ovechkin #1 overall and he was from Russia (I think thats correct). I could be wrong but did those undrafted international hockey players at least enter the draft. Because I wouldn't have a problem with teams signing them if they were passed each round of the draft. I don't really know NBA rules but I assume that's how it works. As for the NFL I don't really think they have a rule, but thats because football is only really popular in the US (and I guess in Canada to an extent).

I'm well aware of players skipping out on teams in the MLB draft. The Orioles drafted a kid with there first pick in 2004 I think and he refused to sign so he was drafted by a different team the next year. We almost lost out on Adam Loewen, we signed him a day before he could re-enter the next year's draft (and give him a stupid clause that said he had to be on the MLB team by 2007, which luckily worked out because he probably was going to be on it anyway). MLB needs to reform this somehow. It doesn't look good when players become greedy when they haven't even played a professional game yet. They should set a maximum amount of dollars a drafted rookie can make. Also if a player skips out on a team they should have to sit out at least one more draft.

Are the Red Sox considered the secondary Evil Empire now? No more of the bullcrap, this is proof that they can compete with the Yankees.

Someone's sensitive.

Anyway, yes the Red Sox have now proven themselves to have some cash. However, don't call them the Evil Empire. Ever.

Sensitive about what?

Fact: Yankees spent $16 million on their off-season pitcher, who has won World Series rings.

Fact: Red Sox spent over $102 million on theirs and he's never pitched in MLB.

Fact: The Yankees are called the Evil Empire for the having the most money.

Fact: The Red Sox have spent approximately $86 million more (so far) then the Yankees.

Maybe this guy is the Ichiro of pitchers and the Yankees got screwed. But if you're gonna rip the Yankees for having money and yet your team spends a little more than 5 times as much: you are hypocrites.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

Are the Red Sox considered the secondary Evil Empire now? No more of the bullcrap, this is proof that they can compete with the Yankees.

Someone's sensitive.

Anyway, yes the Red Sox have now proven themselves to have some cash. However, don't call them the Evil Empire. Ever.

Sensitive about what?

Fact: Yankees spent $16 million on their off-season pitcher, who has won World Series rings.

Fact: Red Sox spent over $102 million on theirs and he's never pitched in MLB.

Fact: The Yankees are called the Evil Empire for the having the most money.

Fact: The Red Sox have spent approximately $86 million more (so far) then the Yankees.

Maybe this guy is the Ichiro of pitchers and the Yankees got screwed. But if you're gonna rip the Yankees for having money and yet your team spends a little more than 5 times as much: you are hypocrites.

offseason's still not over yet. give it some time

There can only be one evil empire (well Darth Vader doesn't count) and that is the Yankees. They will still be known as the evil empire even if the Red Sox or any other team spends more than the Yankees.

Archived