On the impending NHL doom

_RH_

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are currently only two white third jerseys in the NHL, the Canadiens and Maple Leafs, and both are throwbacks. And both of those have had a colored version counterpart at one time or another and could very easily break them out.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I would be in favor of the Leafs adopting the blue version of their throwbacks/alts, if for nothing else then league wide consistency. The Habs are a problem though, as the dark version of their throwbacks/alts are almost identical to their regular red sweaters. There are possibilities though...I think I'll work on some concepts...

There are currently only two white third jerseys in the NHL, the Canadiens and Maple Leafs, and both are throwbacks. And both of those have had a colored version counterpart at one time or another and could very easily break them out.

I would be in favor of the Leafs adopting the blue version of their throwbacks/alts, if for nothing else then league wide consistency. The Habs are a problem though, as the dark version of their throwbacks/alts are almost identical to their regular red sweaters. There are possibilities though...I think I'll work on some concepts...

I'm 100% against the Leafs and Habs adopting dark versions of their third sweaters. They're killer uniforms. Tradition is what's important here, not consistency.

The Leafs and Habs generally wear their thirds against original six (eastern based) teams anyways, so it's not that big of deal for one team to bring an extra set of unis. They don't have the travel nightmares like western clubs and one would think the opposition would be all to happy to dress up for a original six affair.

DEATH TO REEBOK

When Ilitch first bought the Wings back in the 80s, he toyed around with the idea of adding another color, with orange being the color they thought about adding believe it or not. At the time, the Wings had endured a long stretch of mediocrity and were hardly the toast of "Hockeytown". When the word got out (I remember it being in a sports section article in The Detroit Free Press in the early 80s), fans complained loudly that the Wings should not mess with the tradition of the red and white only uniforms.

The Wings have sold several alternate jerseys that have never been worn that contained black. You can see many of them being worn by fans at Joe Louis arena.

Will they wear black with the advent of the new uniform style?

I don't know, but as a 20+ year season ticket holder and lifelong fan, I sure as hell hope not.

The Red Wings have one of the best sweaters (and I use that term loosely) in the NHL.

Reebok better not mess this up.

The only thing that would look better than the White Leafs throwback, would be a blue one.... sign me up!

When Ilitch first bought the Wings back in the 80s, he toyed around with the idea of adding another color, with orange being the color they thought about adding believe it or not. At the time, the Wings had endured a long stretch of mediocrity and were hardly the toast of "Hockeytown". When the word got out (I remember it being in a sports section article in The Detroit Free Press in the early 80s), fans complained loudly that the Wings should not mess with the tradition of the red and white only uniforms.

The Wings have sold several alternate jerseys that have never been worn that contained black. You can see many of them being worn by fans at Joe Louis arena.

I don't know, but as a 20+ year season ticket holder and lifelong fan, I sure as hell hope not.

The Red Wings have one of the best sweaters (and I use that term loosely) in the NHL.

It's Reebok, it's what they do.

Okay...

...will someone please tell me again why the NHL franchises are changing their logos? Do they really think this is the reason why they are one of the least watched major sports in America? Is a new logo for the Maple Leafs or Rangers the new attempt by a P.R. department that is just as effective at promoting the league as FEMA is at giving aid to Katrina victims?

You would think that they would want to keep the older logos that actually have a well known identity and work on the newer crap that makes no sense at all (i.e. Ducks, Sabres, Canucks, etc.) This makes ZERO sense to me. Please help.

Okay...

...will someone please tell me again why the NHL franchises are changing their logos? Do they really think this is the reason why they are one of the least watched major sports in America? Is a new logo for the Maple Leafs or Rangers the new attempt by a P.R. department that is just as effective at promoting the league as FEMA is at giving aid to Katrina victims?

I didn't know the Leafs counted as more than one franchise. Because they are the only team so far who has officially said they are changing their logo. And for all we know, it could be a change back to a vintage logo. (We do know Dallas is changing their uniforms, we don't know if they are changing their logo though.)

You would think that they would want to keep the older logos that actually have a well known identity and work on the newer crap that makes no sense at all (i.e. Ducks, Sabres, Canucks, etc.) This makes ZERO sense to me. Please help.

Who said that Detroit, Chicago, the Rangers, Canadiens, Bruins, Blue, Flyers, Penguins, Sharks, Senators, etc. were changing logos? Has anyone with authority said that any teams besides Dallas and Toronto were changing anything?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

It's Reebok, it's what they do.

If RBK is going to take one of the best looks in the NHL and screw it up by adding lots of black, they would be better served not to try it in a city whose citizens have a history of starting fires.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Okay...

I didn't know the Leafs counted as more than one franchise. Because they are the only team so far who has officially said they are changing their logo. And for all we know, it could be a change back to a vintage logo. (We do know Dallas is changing their uniforms, we don't know if they are changing their logo though.)

Who said that Detroit, Chicago, the Rangers, Canadiens, Bruins, Blue, Flyers, Penguins, Sharks, Senators, etc. were changing logos? Has anyone with authority said that any teams besides Dallas and Toronto were changing anything?

There are rumors all over this board that elude to this. There is even a thread about '3D logos' or something to that effect mentioning a blanket change by all of the franchises. I know they are just RUMORS, but even then it makes no sense. That is where my rant originates from.

Okay...

There are rumors all over this board that elude to this. There is even a thread about '3D logos' or something to that effect mentioning a blanket change by all of the franchises. I know they are just RUMORS, but even then it makes no sense. That is where my rant originates from.

The reason why it makes no sense is because IT IS ALL JUST RUMOR. None of these rumors are coming from any sort of reliable source. But people are in a panic now because of these rumors that have no basis for fact or reason whatsoever.

If people would learn to separate fact from fiction, they would realize that these changes Reebok are making are not as severe as it seems. The jerseys themselves are gonna look different because they'll be skinnier, but the identities should all be untouched.

champssig2.png

If people would learn to separate fact from fiction, they would realize that these changes Reebok are making are not as severe as it seems. The jerseys themselves are gonna look different because they'll be skinnier, but the identities should all be untouched.

But isn't that just a rumor? One person says they'll all be changed, one person says none will be. Nothing's confirmed, it's all just rumors at this point.

But isn't that just a rumor? One person says they'll all be changed, one person says none will be. Nothing's confirmed, it's all just rumors at this point.

Ah, the :censored: with it all!

BELIEVE NOTHING AT ALL!!!!

And if you do that, nobody's brains will hurt and nobody will have reason to fear.

champssig2.png

These aren't internet message board rumours.

The Detroit quotes are legitimate and were reported by ESPN. I don't know how long ago they are from though. The info on Dallas and Boston came from a Dallas newspaper article that was posted on the web. It's possible that the league may have listened to the GM's who were against the radical new uniforms and changed course somewhat so things could change course.

DEATH TO REEBOK

The Detroit quotes are legitimate and were reported by ESPN.

Where and when? The only place I ever saw that story was a copy-and-paste job here along with an ESPN insider link that didn't work. The other changes also could quite easily have been planned but scrapped.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I think the darks look much better at home and like it the way it is.

A system like European football would be cool with the primarys and secondaries. But it kinda defeats the purpose as they would be required to take both sets of uniforms on the road with them.

Ah, the :censored: with it all!

BELIEVE NOTHING AT ALL!!!!

And if you do that, nobody's brains will hurt and nobody will have reason to fear.

Hmmmm I think you're onto something.....but I can't believe anything people say...soooo

The Detroit quotes are legitimate and were reported by ESPN. I don't know how long ago they are from though. The info on Dallas and Boston came from a Dallas newspaper article that was posted on the web. It's possible that the league may have listened to the GM's who were against the radical new uniforms and changed course somewhat so things could change course.

Exactly what I heard. Hopefully they are rumors and not facts. I don't think they (logo changes) would be necessary.

Archived