On the impending NHL doom

_RH_

As an Aussie, white is always the away teams colour (or a light colour for those few teams that don't wear white). (AFL - white shorts away, NBL - Light uniforms on the road, A-League- white is the away colour except for Victory's silver)

I'd rather keep the white for the away team. Or they could do what Icecap mentioned i think and that is one uniform all times unless theres a clash where the away team changes.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The icejerseys info hasn't been officially confirmed or released by the NHL and it came from an anonymous source on a message board (not this one)

buwho knew someone working for the retail outfit (not Reebok).

There's been numerous things reported somewhat officially over the last couple of years regarding some specific teams and the new uniforms, but things may have changed somewhat because the first prototypes were universally hated by GM's.

According to ESPN and various local team media:

Boston is supposedly getting a new logo.

Dallas was initially supposed to get a new logo and simplified uniform.

Toronto has confirmed that they will be changing their logo but the uniform will stay the same.

Edmonton has dropped their third uniform. The new third or main set of uniforms has been described as "vintage with a twist".

Detroit is supposedly changing to, or adding a large amount of, black on their home uniforms.

I couldn't find the original ESPN story, but this came up on a Red Wings message board re the Red Wings new uniforms:

Noting that in 1927, when known as the Detroit Falcons, the franchise had both red and black striping, the Red Wings have announced their new uniforms will contain black accents.

"The history of this franchise is very important to us, as are the fan?s desires." said owner Mike Ilitch. "We feel the fan want to see a more modern look. With Detroit?s Lions adding black with such great success recently, I thought it was only natural to bring the same look to the Red Wings."

The jerseys are said to closely resemble the current practice jerseys, as Reebok has stated most NHL teams? new jerseys will, but with black cuffs and collar and black panels under the white gusset inserts.

The new Red Wings home jersey will be red, and will feature a mid-weight ULTRAFIL polyester construction, as well as double layered shoulders, black interlock neck trim, reinforced s titching on the shoulders and armholes, with black cuffs and white polyester mesh gusset inserts for better ventilation. Below the gussets, the jersey will be black. The flying wheel chest crest will feature a black drop shadow, and the jersey will have black player numbers under the white player name. Piping across the shoulders will be reflective white.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Noting that in 1927, when known as the Detroit Falcons, the franchise had both red and black striping, the Red Wings have announced their new uniforms will contain black accents.

"The history of this franchise is very important to us, as are the fan?s desires." said owner Mike Ilitch. "We feel the fan want to see a more modern look. With Detroit?s Lions adding black with such great success recently, I thought it was only natural to bring the same look to the Red Wings."

The jerseys are said to closely resemble the current practice jerseys, as Reebok has stated most NHL teams? new jerseys will, but with black cuffs and collar and black panels under the white gusset inserts.

The new Red Wings home jersey will be red, and will feature a mid-weight ULTRAFIL polyester construction, as well as double layered shoulders, black interlock neck trim, reinforced s titching on the shoulders and armholes, with black cuffs and white polyester mesh gusset inserts for better ventilation. Below the gussets, the jersey will be black. The flying wheel chest crest will feature a black drop shadow, and the jersey will have black player numbers under the white player name. Piping across the shoulders will be reflective white.

ok thats it, i'm going to detroit. :grin:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

"With Detroit's Lions adding black with such great success recently, I thought it was only natural to bring the same look to the Red Wings."

Look at the Lions record since they got the black and honestly say they've had great success.Go on. I dare you.

I'm in the pool that likes the dark uniforms at home and whites on the road. I enjoy a team's solid colour more (in spite of owning more white uniforms that colours).

It makes more sense for alts, you can wear your alt at home and your opponent doesn't need to bring both sets of uniforms if they are on a long road trip. of course though, you get teams like Toronto and Montreal who's alts/throwbacks are both white and queers the whole deal up

ok thats it, i'm going to detroit. :grin:

Wow thats a big change. The red wings seem like a very traditional team to me. I don't think the fans will like that very much :therock:

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I've always thought they could go to a system similar to English soccer. Basically there wouldn't be home and road sweaters, just primary (coloured) and change (white) sweaters.

For example, if the Canadiens played the Maple Leafs, both teams would wear their primary dark sweaters. If the Canadiens played the Blackhawks, however, the road team would have to wear white.

Actually, they couldn't without one team wearing the incorrect helmet for their jersey set. The referees like both teams to be wearing different coloured helmets so it is easier to differentiate players in tight quarters i.e. scrums.

Don't bash me, but I'm in the boat that doesn't mind the new Rbk jerseys. Don't think about the merchandice, but think about the game. I mean, Maxim Afinogenov has to tuck in his jersey half way because it slows him down. Now how fast do you think he'd be with a form fitter? And also, who cares about the logo? Its the guys wearing it that really matter.

Don't bash me, but I'm in the boat that doesn't mind the new Rbk jerseys. Don't think about the merchandice, but think about the game. I mean, Maxim Afinogenov has to tuck in his jersey half way because it slows him down. Now how fast do you think he'd be with a form fitter?

If the cut of a jersey affects Maxim's style of play that much, then maybe he needs to find a new carrier. Also, people aren't worried about the form-fitting style of jerseys. They're worried that RBK will make all the teams use more or less the same template, eliminating unique jersey designs, forcing some traditional designs to change (Montréal, NY Rangers).

And also, who cares about the logo? Its the guys wearing it that really matter.

Again, we have someone who doesn't realize the purpose of the boards.

i can almost promise the wings won't have black numbers on their red jersey, as that rumor says...

i'll also go out on a limb, and say they won't resemble the practice jersey's striping.

they may or may not add black... but i doubt they're going to go crazy.

It is strange that it's normal in one sport for the home to be white (baseball, hockey) and home to be colors (usually) in another (football) but it just looks right. Something in hockey about the white ice+white jerseys=good guys.

What about the chance that since all 3rds will be gone next year, the new alternates will all be white? That would allow home teams to sell more jerseys and give the better look of home in white. And road teams would still only have to take one set on trips.

It is strange that it's normal in one sport for the home to be white (baseball, hockey) and home to be colors (usually) in another (football) but it just looks right. Something in hockey about the white ice+white jerseys=good guys.

What about the chance that since all 3rds will be gone next year, the new alternates will all be white? That would allow home teams to sell more jerseys and give the better look of home in white. And road teams would still only have to take one set on trips.

The odds of that happen are very very slim. I doubt that will happen because most third jerseys are a showcase for a team's alternate main color or logo, like the Blackhawks, Kings, Wild, Predators, Islanders, Senators, Flyers and Sharks. (And even the Mighty Ducks, Flames and Thrashers did the same thing last year, though none of them no longer apply.)

There are currently only two white third jerseys in the NHL, the Canadiens and Maple Leafs, and both are throwbacks. And both of those have had a colored version counterpart at one time or another and could very easily break them out.

How many alternate jerseys (that are not throwbacks) in ANY league are white?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

You're right, they're not many white alternates. Did NYR ever have a white statue of Liberty one?

I think white alternates are more of a fantasy than reality. But I think it would look really nice.

Not to change the topic, but why did Edmonton ditch their thirds? Personally I thought those were some of the nicest in the league.

Archived