On the impending NHL doom

_RH_

Got a few questions about the new Reebok stuff set for next year. I know it isn't for sure yet, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

1. Will there still be third jerseys?

2. Any chance home teams will go back to white (kinda depends on #1)

3. Are the Maple Leafs changing logos midseason, or just showing what they'll look like next year?

4. What teams, other than the Stars, do we KNOW will change next year?

IMO, white at home just looks right for the NHL, I've still not gotten used to the darks. The sock striping is good news, though.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Based on all the information that was reported before, it's about 95% certain the NHL will abandon third jerseys for the 2007-2008 season, but likely just for that season.

2. That is not known. I would imagine that they would still wear their colored jerseys at home based on the apparent rumor that the only jerseys that will be available to buy as replicas will be the colored jerseys.

3. The Maple Leafs will just be unveiling their new logo in January. They will not actually be wearing it until September when the new training camp opens.

4. Other than the Stars jerseys and the Leafs logo, nothing else at all was officially confirmed.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

1. Based on all the information that was reported before, it's about 95% certain the NHL will abandon third jerseys for the 2007-2008 season, but likely just for that season.

Why would they discontinue the 3rd jerseys just for one season?

Supposedly the atrocious new designs will be too much for us peons to handle and comprehend. Therefore they're ditch the 3rds for the one season to simplify the transition.

Probably also to make the sure current fan backlash towards the new jerseys doesn't fully carry over to the sales, so they can undo it the year after without spending the extra money producing 3rds that wont sell at all.

I don't mind the cut, i think it is good. If all the designs are the same, then that is absolute crap. Hockey is a traditional sport - teams like the Leafs, Rangers and the Wings among others have a strong tradition of what they wear. Hate for Rbk to get their hands on the whole AFL, although everyone does have a different cut.

In short, if its the cut its okay, if its the design as well as the cut, its crap.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

My guess introduce a new jersey a year after the new look is unveiled get more marketing mileage.

Here's the reason, and I received this information from a team marketing director. They want to sell alot of the new jerseys and there is no reason to put out 3 new products now. So you put out a new home and road, then next year a new third.

Wasn't it rumored that every team, or almost every team would recieve both a dark and white alternate uniform? Thus a change back to white at home and dark on road could be possible. (The way it should be)

God I hope they switch back to white at home and colored on road. It just doesn't work with the NHL. For too long they were this way, and then to just all of sudden switch? Too confusing. I see highlights or glimpse at a game on TV every now and then and I always think the team in white is home. The NFL makes it work because they been like this for so long. Now for the NHL to try and ressurect itself by trying to copy the NFL in hopes of achieving it's success is downright rig**d***diculous. Go back to the light, er, whites...at home and send the dark side back to the road.

Wasn't it rumored that every team, or almost every team would recieve both a dark and white alternate uniform? Thus a change back to white at home and dark on road could be possible. (The way it should be)

God I hope they switch back to white at home and colored on road. It just doesn't work with the NHL. For too long they were this way, and then to just all of sudden switch? Too confusing. I see highlights or glimpse at a game on TV every now and then and I always think the team in white is home. The NFL makes it work because they been like this for so long. Now for the NHL to try and ressurect itself by trying to copy the NFL in hopes of achieving it's success is downright rig**d***diculous. Go back to the light, er, whites...at home and send the dark side back to the road.

Of course the NHL has worn Dark at home longer than white at home. I seriously doubt they were trying to copy the NFL as much as make it a bit easier for equipment managers and travel.

First of all, its been this way for 3 seasons now. And it was the case until the early 70's, too.

And your bitching about copying the NFL is completley false.

With 3rd jerseys being dark for 95% of the teams, it makes sense that teams want to wear those at home. Which meant visiting teams on a multiple game road trip had to lug another set of uniforms thanks to having to play one game in whites.

With increased security meaures thanks to 9/11, and the above mentioned hassles with 2 or 3 extra large bags for equipment managers to pack, it was a logstical move too.

I've always thought they could go to a system similar to English soccer. Basically there wouldn't be home and road sweaters, just primary (coloured) and change (white) sweaters.

For example, if the Canadiens played the Maple Leafs, both teams would wear their primary dark sweaters. If the Canadiens played the Blackhawks, however, the road team would have to wear white.

First of all, its been this way for 3 seasons now. And it was the case until the early 70's, too.

And your bitching about copying the NFL is completley false.

Sheesus, Newbie. Lighten up a bit. I didn't realize they were like that before. A simple..."they were like that before" would've sufficed. Now you just look like an arrogant A$$hole.

Still think White works better at home. Only football seems to work the other way. Not saying football's better (tho it is ^_^ ) but it just seems more natural in football than hockey. White just always looks nicer and fits better for the home team.

I still haven't gotten used to darks at home myself. I always liked the other team coming in with a different color each game myself.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived