Penguins Get Arena Deal Done

Ez Street

EDIT-I should add that the Central Division is not scheduled to play the Atlantic Division at all under the current format next season. So yeah, in the event of a move, Crosby will not be seen in the New York market unless the Devils, Isles, or Rangers meet them in the finals.

I think, if the Pens do move to KC, that they'll stay in the Atlantic for one season before the NHL realigns.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT-I should add that the Central Division is not scheduled to play the Atlantic Division at all under the current format next season. So yeah, in the event of a move, Crosby will not be seen in the New York market unless the Devils, Isles, or Rangers meet them in the finals.

I think, if the Pens do move to KC, that they'll stay in the Atlantic for one season before the NHL realigns.

Then the NHL will fix the schedule. Part of the reason the league is happy of the current format because Crosby makes 12 trips into New York City area and plays a NYC area team 24 times. Add in another 8 times against Philly, plus 4 games against Boston, Washington, Toronto and Montreal and he plays in the big markets 48 times. More than half of the Penguins games are against teams from major sports media markets.

That said if the Penguins do indeed move (and the NHL probably does not want them to) Expect the Capitals to rejoin the Atlantic and Ovechkin get that type coverage.

I believe the Western Conference fans should be allowed to call bull:censored: on that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I believe the Western Conference fans should be allowed to call bull:censored: on that.

why? if anything the Atlantic Division fans would

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

It has already been indicated by the NHL that Detroit will join the east if a move of this type occurs.

It would only be for one season.

I want to be the first to say the following things:

I want Kansas City to re-embrace their "Scouts" nickname. Yes, I can already hear many of you cringe, but I always thought it was cool name. What are team in history was named after a character in "To Kill a Mockingbird".

I want the Houston Atticus to be the next expansion franchise.

goalieherron.jpg

Dennis Herron FTW.

In all seriousness, I don't think this will work and I still think this is a bluff to get a better deal out of Pennsylvannia. KC just completely panned out the first time around, and I see no evidence of KC being truly "excited" at the opportunity.

I opened up their local sports page for example and found this story buried underneath the fold, with just a brief "ho hum" article.

If Hamilton or Winnipeg were about to get a shot, those cities would already be lining up to buy season tickets and the damn mayor would be bending over backwards to find more civic cash to hand over to Monsieur Lemieux to make it a done deal.

Anyone else feel that this is more public posturing on both sides? Either crap or get off the pot.

Glad to read that some KC officials aren't buying any of the rhetoric. Just yet, at least.

It is for sure posturing. They are not moving.

Ya I agree.

If the Pens do move to KC then they will shift to the west and Detroit will go east. So will Detroit be put in the Northeast Division. Good luck on convincing Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto to move to the Atlantic Division. Or they could go back to the 2-division format in each conference like they proposed a few months ago.

Atlantic

Atlanta

Carolina

Florida

New Jersey

N.Y. Islanders

N.Y. Rangers

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Northeast

Boston

Buffalo

Detroit

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Washington

Central

Chicago

Columbus

Dallas

Kansas City

Minnesota

Nashville

St. Louis

Pacific

Anaheim

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Phoenix

San Jose

Vancouver

That makes no sense why would Washington go to the Northeast when it is south of most of the Atlantic teams and are historic rivals with the Rangers, Flyers, Islanders, and Devils. If anything Washington is going to move into a division with those teams as it is something the team and it's fans are pushing for. They got screwed by re-alignment.

So then I assume Chicago is going to move east as well? Because we've already lost the North Stars, Jets, and Maple Leafs as rivals, and losing the Red Wings would really hurt. Nobody wants to watch the Hawks play Nashville and Columbus because these teams don't mean anything to anybody as rivals. I mean, it's bad enough that nobody wants to pay a lot of money to watch a bad hockey team in an anemic arena atmosphere.

So then I assume Chicago is going to move east as well? Because we've already lost the North Stars, Jets, and Maple Leafs as rivals, and losing the Red Wings would really hurt. Nobody wants to watch the Hawks play Nashville and Columbus because these teams don't mean anything to anybody as rivals. I mean, it's bad enough that nobody wants to pay a lot of money to watch a bad hockey team in an anemic arena atmosphere.

I think it would make the most sense to move Columbus myself.

Columbus and Detroit are the only two Western teams in the Eastern time zone.

But as TCR notes, Detroit has rivalries with Chicago, St. Louis, Colorado and others. (I realize they also once had rivalries with teams that are now in the East).

Columbus on the other hand hasn't done anything to be able to gain any real rivals. (I'd argue against TCR in regards to Nashville though...STL-Nashville is definitely a rivalry now.)

So move Columbus East so as to not disturb any rivalries, and bring KC West to the Central.

Or better yet, just save Pittsburgh (even though I'd love to see a team in KC).

I think it would make the most sense to move Columbus myself.

Columbus and Detroit are the only two Western teams in the Eastern time zone.

But as TCR notes, Detroit has rivalries with Chicago, St. Louis, Colorado and others. (I realize they also once had rivalries with teams that are now in the East).

Columbus on the other hand hasn't done anything to be able to gain any real rivals. (I'd argue against TCR in regards to Nashville though...STL-Nashville is definitely a rivalry now.)

So move Columbus East so as to not disturb any rivalries, and bring KC West to the Central.

Or better yet, just save Pittsburgh (even though I'd love to see a team in KC).

Or change the dumb schedule matrix.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived