Uni status of DAL @ SEA?

otero1

Why? When was the last time Seattle wore their white jerseys for a home game?

The why may be---- the Cowboys tradtionally don't have a good winning percentage wearing blue. However I don't believe it to be as much of a factor in recent years as it was in the 70's and 80's.

Also wouldn't Dallas have to wear the tradional blue uniforms since they wore the throwbacks twice already or doesn't that apply to the playoffs?

Never as far as I know. They haven't exactly done poorly in their blues at home either.

yah the raiders and the seahawks are the only teams that have never worn whit at home

Never as far as I know. They haven't exactly done poorly in their blues at home either.

yah the raiders and the seahawks are the only teams that have never worn whit at home

Steelers?

EDIT: and don't say Superbowl XL, doesn't count.

Steelers?

I remember there being a discussion about that prior to SuperBowl XL...I think we concluded that the Steelers did wear white at home, but it was only once...I can't recall exactly when, though.

Steelers?

I remember there being a discussion about that prior to SuperBowl XL...I think we concluded that the Steelers did wear white at home, but it was only once...I can't recall exactly when, though.

The Stillers wore white at home in the late 60s, and definitely for the first game of 1964 against the Rams. Since they moved to the AFC in 1970, they haven't done so.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Offhand, here are some other teams that I don't think have worn white at home. I'm not sure about any of these, so if anyone knows of instances where they did, please inform me:

Giants

49ers

Lions

Bears

Packers

Texans

Falcons

Bills

Chiefs

Broncos

Patriots (silver doesn't count)

Ravens

Colts

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Offhand, here are some other teams that I don't think have worn white at home. I'm not sure about any of these, so if anyone knows of instances where they did, please inform me:

Giants

49ers

Lions

Bears

Packers

Texans

Falcons

Bills

Chiefs

Broncos

Ravens

Colts

The Packers wore white at home twice in (I think) the 1989 season, against Tampa Bay and New Orleans.

It's where I sit.

Giants

49ers

Lions

Bears

Packers

Texans

Falcons

Bills

Chiefs

Broncos

Ravens

Colts

The Packers wore white at home twice in (I think) the 1989 season, against Tampa Bay and New Orleans.

Your named teams have alll worn white at home at some point:

Giants -- numerous times in the 1980s, especially vs. Cowboys

49ers -- late 70s

Lions -- preseason game a few years ago (vs. either Browns or Steelers)

Bears -- white in the home opener each of the last two seasons

Packers -- mentioned in the first response

Texans -- white first half of the season each year they've been in the league

Falcons -- off and on in the 80s, a few times when Reeves coached them

Bills -- off and on in the early 80s

Chiefs -- off and on in early 80s, home opener this year vs. Bengals

Broncos -- vs. Cowboys in 1980, few times when Reeves coached them

Patriots -- mid-1980s

Ravens -- a few times for home opener

Colts -- off and on in early 80s in Baltimore

it started as a promotional gimmick, you see, Tex Schramm reasoned that if the Cowboys wore white at home, teh fans would always see a white vs. different color matchup, as opposed to blue vs white all the time :rolleyes:

right around the time they began doing this (I wanna say 1963 or 64) they started winning consistently, so it stuck.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

yeah...0-1 in blue ;)

Super Bowl V was the Vaqueros' first SB appearance, the first one after the merger, and more significantly to this thread, the lone SB out of the 8 Dallas has appeared in that they wore their blue jerseys. All three against the Steelers, both Bills SBs, and the games against the Dolphins and Broncos were played in white jerseys. heh, IIRC Craig Morton was the guy under center that game, and they only wore blue because the SB rule at the time said home team had to wear their dark jersey, regardless of whether they regularly did so or not. Not a problem for most teams, but then we're dealing with the Cowpokes here.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Well this is easy:

Giants - First strated wearing white at home during 1980 season. Parcells ear - started in '83 vs. Cowboys

49ers - wore white in the late 70's ('77 season)

Lions - none to my knowledge, even at Tiger Stadium

Bears - last time was this year versus Lions

Packers - none to my knowledge

Texans - They always wear white for the first four home games of the season (if not more)

Falcons - Wore white at home during the 80s, the last I believe was '86 season

Bills - Various games and wore white at home in early 80's under Chuck Knox, Hank Bullough, etc. Marv Levy put an end to it

Chiefs - Other than opening day this year, 1980 season

Broncos - Many times though not with current uniform set. Early season in early 80's wore white at home

Patriots - (silver doesn't count)

Ravens - Opening day this year

Colts - Never in Indy, early 80's (80 season) wore white at home

Well this is easy:

Giants - First strated wearing white at home during 1980 season. Parcells ear - started in '83 vs. Cowboys

49ers - wore white in the late 70's ('77 season)

Lions - none to my knowledge, even at Tiger Stadium

Bears - last time was this year versus Lions

Packers - none to my knowledge

Texans - They always wear white for the first four home games of the season (if not more)

Falcons - Wore white at home during the 80s, the last I believe was '86 season

Bills - Various games and wore white at home in early 80's under Chuck Knox, Hank Bullough, etc. Marv Levy put an end to it

Chiefs - Other than opening day this year, 1980 season

Broncos - Many times though not with current uniform set. Early season in early 80's wore white at home

Patriots - (silver doesn't count)

Ravens - Opening day this year

Colts - Never in Indy, early 80's (80 season) wore white at home

As mentioned earlier in the thread...

Lions did in a preseason game against Browns in 2002. See first item under "The Game Notes" in this link -- http://www.detroitlions.com/document_displ...cument_id=39805

Packers wore white at home in '89 vs. TB and NO.

Patriots wore white at home in the mid-80s.

Falcons wore white at home on a regular basis in '89 and many times before than that.

Broncos did wear white at home with the current set once -- in a uniform flap with the Chargers in 2003. (see the third paragraph in this link -- http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/6673811

Super Bowl V was the Vaqueros' first SB appearance, the first one after the merger, and more significantly to this thread, the lone SB out of the 8 Dallas has appeared in that they wore their blue jerseys. All three against the Steelers, both Bills SBs, and the games against the Dolphins and Broncos were played in white jerseys. heh, IIRC Craig Morton was the guy under center that game, and they only wore blue because the SB rule at the time said home team had to wear their dark jersey, regardless of whether they regularly did so or not. Not a problem for most teams, but then we're dealing with the Cowpokes here.

I think the specific rule was that the NFC team had to wear their dark jerseys. Dallas' home jersey, of course, has been white, and Dallas was the home team in Super V, and yet, there are those (actually pretty nice-looking though doomed) blue jerseys. So, irony of ironies, both teams in Super Bowl V wore their road jerseys.

The NFL had some strange rules like that through the 1970s. For instance, in the 1960s the NFL championship game was rotated between conference champions, which was how Dallas hosted the 1966 NFL Championship despite having a worse record than Green Bay, and, one year later, the Packers hosted the NFL Championship despite having a worse record than the Cowboys. (The Ice Bowl would have not occurred under today's rules for hosting playoff games.) Even more strange, the year the Dolphins went 14-0, they ended up playing the AFC Championship at Pittsburgh, despite obviously having the AFC's best record. (That sort of oddity -- teams with the worse record hosting conference championship games -- happened other times before the rules were changed.)

For what it's worth, Mike Holmgren chose the dark uniforms when the Packers hosted Dallas in 1997. So I'd think he wouldn't be inclined to go white for this meeting.

Packers-2.png

I think the specific rule was that the NFC team had to wear their dark jerseys. Dallas' home jersey, of course, has been white, and Dallas was the home team in Super V, and yet, there are those (actually pretty nice-looking though doomed) blue jerseys. So, irony of ironies, both teams in Super Bowl V wore their road jerseys.

you're on the right track, just slightly off...even-numbered Super Bowls have the NFC team as home, while AFC's home in even-numbered SBs. even back then, it alternated (the Packers wore their whites in SB II, remember?), and it happened to be an odd-numbered SB.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived