Broncos Helmet

Tribein05

Not quite as "rare" or hard to find as the patriots one I posted a while back, but still, nonetheless, another unique vintage found on ebay...... Although I dont really like it one bit haha.

It looks like a crossbreed between a horse being kick in the balls, too a horse trying to take a dump.

78_1_b.jpg

It's a classic helmet but the Broncos should bring back these helmets. lol

Tripucka3.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

What I meant was the classic "D" helmet replacing the pictured helmet in the uniform as Icecap79 was suggesting.

Having grown up in Denver in the sixties, this is one of my favorite topics. Here's a photo of the 1966 Bronco home uniforms:

Broncos1966.jpg

Note the san-serif font which they didn't get right for the 1994 throwbacks.

Here's a B&W shot of All-Pro Willie Brown, who of course went on to bigger and better things with the (gasp) Raiders:

1966_10_02_BrownW.jpg

Here's a picture of the legendary Cookie Gilchrist in the road set (1965):

GilchristCookie13.jpg

And here's a rare photo from the very first game between the AFL and the NFL, played in August, 1967 between the Broncos and the Detroit Lions:

1967_08_05_Lions.jpg

This was the very first game I ever saw live. Though it was a pre-season contest, both teams had a lot to prove and played their starters throughout the game. Beforehand, Alex Karras of the Lions famously said that he would walk back to Detroit if they lost to the Broncos. Final score: Denver 13, Detroit 7.

The Broncos new coach, Lou Saban, had ordered new uniforms for the 1967 season; he was the guy who changed the helmet color to blue. (These helmets had no logos and an orange/white/orange striping pattern for the 1967 season). The new unis were not in yet, so for the preseason the Broncos wore the 1966 set with the the new blue helmets, as you can vaguely make out in this pic.

I can see why a lot of people don't like the old cartoonish bucking bronc, but I still love it -- probably becaue it reminds me of my youth. I also believe the 1965-66 unis were the best the Broncos ever had, but doomed to be replaced because the teams that played in them were so bad.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Archived