Edinburgh Capitals

js °

the arena is actually just a photo of an arena i was able to find online .. i then just photoshopped the hell out of it, so i could place my logos and banners in there to give a little brand context. Thats an important part of designing a logo, as well as presenting it to the client, so that everyone can see how it looks in its home.

Come to think of it, I think you missed a Miami RedHawks logo on the scoreboard. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy :P

I thought that looked like my RedHawk's new arena! I love the photoshopped version of it. I haven't been back to my alma mater to see it yet.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking through your portfolio, I'm very impressed. All of your work is unbelievably well done.

For the topic on-hand, I agree that it has a great Euro feel to it. I really like the Lion as the primary crest(as in the blue jersey), and the "EC" logo as a shoulder patch.

and here's the jersey they went with!

573-lou-new-top.gif

Was wondering who did the new logo, the company I run actually supplied the Capitals jerseys for this season but were spoilt by all the sponsor logos that had to be added later (in my humble opinion!)

Oh and I reckon saying they are the only professional Hockey team in Scotland will not win you many friends if you come over here!

Malk

and here's the jersey they went with!

573-lou-new-top.gif

Was wondering who did the new logo, the company I run actually supplied the Capitals jerseys for this season but were spoilt by all the sponsor logos that had to be added later (in my humble opinion!)

Oh and I reckon saying they are the only professional Hockey team in Scotland will not win you many friends if you come over here!

Malk

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?s=...st&p=460099

Kinda sorta? :P

yeah, unfortunately they decided to go against my wishes and use this shirt this season. its a temp jersey, called the Legacy, until they integrate the new logo across the board. here were my concepts for this:

pride_uni_01_02.jpg

pride_uni_03_04.jpg

yeah, unfortunately they decided to go against my wishes and use this shirt this season. its a temp jersey, called the Legacy, until they integrate the new logo across the board. here were my concepts for this:

pride_uni_01_02.jpg

pride_uni_03_04.jpg

The first three don't really utilize the full colur scheme. They'd be great for a national team, if they had one. Do they have one? Or do they play as United Kingdom?

The first three don't really utilize the full colur scheme. They'd be great for a national team, if they had one. Do they have one? Or do they play as United Kingdom?

yeah it was supposed to be just a one off, and to act as more of a merchandise item for fans to show their team and country pride. I actually think number 4 could serve well as an alt jersey, but the decision on all that was ultimately theirs.

pride_uni_01_02.jpg

pride_uni_03_04.jpg

They play as the UK in IIHF events. Sometimes the home nations will "separate" for unofficial games though. Hasn't been an England - Scotland hockey game since 1993 however.

If the real jersey didn't have the wordmark across the chest, it would be beautiful.

That's only the second problem with British hockey jerseys (the first being advertising). Teams seem to insist on having wordmarks on their logos, or having the wordmark above or below the logo, almost as if fans didn't already know the team's name. <_<

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• 2 years later...

PS I meant to tell you js. I love your "where is my Jetpack" shirt. I have to get one of those one day.

Thanks man, for the compliments ... if you like the Damn Scientists Too, I'm planning on launching a small tshirt line sometime soon, that will be included in the first release.

sweeeet. A foreign gig, too. Did they find you?

I see you redid the Rochester Americans. I'm sure you've done several over the years and have fun tweaking it.

yeah they actually did ... they saw my Sabres stuff and that provoked them to hire me. Just goes to show ya that this concept work is not for nothing.

PS I meant to tell you js. I love your "where is my Jetpack" shirt. I have to get one of those one day.

Thanks man, for the compliments ... if you like the Damn Scientists Too, I'm planning on launching a small tshirt line sometime soon, that will be included in the first release.

sweeeet. A foreign gig, too. Did they find you?

I see you redid the Rochester Americans. I'm sure you've done several over the years and have fun tweaking it.

yeah they actually did ... they saw my Sabres stuff and that provoked them to hire me. Just goes to show ya that this concept work is not for nothing.

js...did they show you a kids' book called "Hockey Night in Scotland"?...I did this book back in 1999. Many copies were sent back to Scotland. I designed a Team Scotland sweater for the fictional characters that looks identical to the sweater you designed for the Caps. Coincidence?

pride_uni_01_02.jpg

pride_uni_03_04.jpg

They play as the UK in IIHF events. Sometimes the home nations will "separate" for unofficial games though. Hasn't been an England - Scotland hockey game since 1993 however.

I leave you guys alone for a few years and you get this stuff wrong. They compete as Great Britain.

Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland

The United Kingdom is GB + Northern Ireland

The British Isles is GB + the whole of Ireland.

(Technically the Olympic team is the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, though Northern Ireland compete with the Republic of Ireland in some sports, for example Boxing).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Fantastic design. I love it. Just a question though: which one is the actual "main" logo, the "Brand Identity" one w/ the full lion, or the logo on the mock-tickets w/ just the lion head and design under the wordmark?

Okay, this thread is a little over two years old. John (js) hasn't posted here since then.

Now that that is clear, sparky, you are implying John has 'copied' your uniform design. If by this you mean you had a jersey with the Scottish flag and a logo in the middle, and coincidentally he has a jersey with the Scottish flag on it, that is not copying (see intellectual property laws).

He also states that it is against his wish and not his design and is forced to use this temp jersey they gave him called Legacy.

John is not the kind of designer who would need to copy ideas from someone else's template, and in this case the use of a country's flag (which you did not design the flag), is far from anything you need to worry about.

Regardless, kinda stupid reason to bump a 2.5 year old topic. Why don't you email him and ask if you really think he 'copied' your idea of putting the Scottish flag on a jersey. :blink:

Okay, this thread is a little over two years old. John (js) hasn't posted here since then.

Now that that is clear, sparky, you are implying John has 'copied' your uniform design. If by this you mean you had a jersey with the Scottish flag and a logo in the middle, and coincidentally he has a jersey with the Scottish flag on it, that is not copying (see intellectual property laws).

He also states that it is against his wish and not his design and is forced to use this temp jersey they gave him called Legacy.

John is not the kind of designer who would need to copy ideas from someone else's template, and in this case the use of a country's flag (which you did not design the flag), is far from anything you need to worry about.

Regardless, kinda stupid reason to bump a 2.5 year old topic. Why don't you email him and ask if you really think he 'copied' your idea of putting the Scottish flag on a jersey. :blink:

AAO...Relax. No-one's accusing anyone of anything. And about the timing...

A couple of weeks ago, I didn't know that this website even existed.

A friend of mine called me to tell me about a team in Scotland that was using sweaters identical to the ones used in my book "Hockey Night in Scotland".

Now tell me, AAO; YOU wouldn't be curious?

I found a Caps article introducing the new legacy sweater, informing us that "the shirt was designed by American designer J.S."

With a little more digging I found this thread discussing the creation of the sweater.

Again, I was curious because the sweaters aren't just similar...they're IDENTICAL.

And save me the lecture on intellectual property laws. I couldn't care less if he did or didn't "copy".

I dug up these old images.(They're almost 10 years old)
One of the fun things about doing the 'Scotland' book was creating a Team Scotland uniform.
Here's how they looked in an illustration from the book...
(Please pardon the kilts...it was a kids' book)

hnispic.jpg

Anyway, the new sweaters look great.
js and the Caps should be commended in transforming 'Edinburgh's Team' into 'Scotland's Team'

A good example of smart marketing increasing a team's "boundaries".

I dug up these old images.(They're almost 10 years old)

One of the fun things about doing the 'Scotland' book was creating a Team Scotland uniform.

Here's how they looked in an illustration from the book...

(Please pardon the kilts...it was a kids' book)

cc4-1.jpg

Interesting...

A lion, sheepdog, horse, Nessie, and a head of bok choy are playing against a team of beavers.

:P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived