NASCAR "makes changes" to the Chase.

Cyclopsis Joe

Not like it matters, as no one ever qualified for it.

Just a short rundown:

Top 12 instead of top 10

No "Within 400-points" crap.

Point Totals now 5000 +10(x every win)

Drivers to be "seeded" by wins.

Linkage

Also, now a win nets you 185 automatically instead of 180. So now you can get as many as 195 points (what with a 5 point bonus for a leading a lap/leading the most).

Personally, it's still not doing what I want it to, but they seem to be getting closer to what I want. A Winston Cup playoff format. (That's, no playoff format.)

Edit: Can a cracka get a proofreader?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

You know, I should just say "Duhr, Left-turn only!" or something like that, but I won't.

Instead, I'll just point out the silliness of having a "playoff" where all the teams still play, regardless of whether they're in the "playoff" or not.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'll go another route and point out the silliness in NASCAR trying to be a major sport, when it is, in fact, not. And this makes me take it less seriously.

No matter how you slice it, it's cars driving in a circle. No more, no less.

Now F1? That's a sport you can set your watch to!

philly.png

Don't shoot the messenger, I barely watch it anymore. But I know from experience that there are NASCAR people here (I posted late last season that I didn't even know who was leading the points and got so-and-so many replies from people telling me who was leading..so yeah).

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I'll go another route and point out the silliness in NASCAR trying to be a major sport, when it is, in fact, not. And this makes me take it less seriously.

Eh, I dunno. I've always kind of figured 'driving in a circle' with cars within one foot of you on just about all sides at any one point in time was the more difficult one of the too, actually.

I'd like to have seen them change it to where only the drivers that are in the chase gets points, and you get the points by where you finish amongst the 12 remaining drivers, as opposed to where you finish amongst the entire field.

IUe6Hvh.png

Personally, I don't think car-driving is a sport.

Regardless, NASCAR is doing anything possible to avoid their most popular drivers not reaching the "postseason".....

Personally, I don't think car-driving is a sport.

Regardless, NASCAR is doing anything possible to avoid their most popular drivers not reaching the "postseason".....

I still haven't gotten the point of the "Chase for the Cup." You trim "the field" down to a dozen or so... but the entire circuit still races during the Chase for the Cup. Why don't they just cut it down to 10 drivers, and have only the 10 drivers race during the Chase? I mean, the Budweiser Shootout only has a handful of cars, so it isn't as though NASCAR doesn't run races without a full field already. And if teams don't like it, then they should do better to get into the Chase. I mean, in team sports teams stay home for the playoffs and no one complains.*

*And I had to look all of that stuff up. <Obligatory NASCAR Swipe> I didn't know NASCAR fans knew how to use a computer! </Obligatory NASCAR Swipe>

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I still haven't gotten the point of the "Chase for the Cup." You trim "the field" down to a dozen or so... but the entire circuit still races during the Chase for the Cup. Why don't they just cut it down to 10 drivers, and have only the 10 drivers race during the Chase? I mean, the Budweiser Shootout only has a handful of cars, so it isn't as though NASCAR doesn't run races without a full field already.

The thing you have to remember about the Budweiser Shootout as opposed to normal races is that the race is shorter which keeps the field from getting too spread out* whereas with a four or five hundred mile race the cars would eventually be strung out all along the track and make for a very boring race (and for those who already think that it's boring it would make it unbearably boring.)

With that said, the Chase for the Cup is an incredibly stupid idea. Has it generated more excitement for the sport? No. Has it gotten more people talking about it? Only when they talk about changing the system. In a nutshell the Chase for the Cup has become/is turning into auto racing's version of the BCS.

*-The restrictor plates are what really keeps the Bud Shootout close but I'll spare you the details about all that.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I am NJTank and therefore cannot comment on anything that has anything to do with anything except the Mets, trivia, or how I hate ESPN and anyone it likes. Especially Tom Brady. Also, I hate democrats.

Fixed. (I'm a NASCAR fan who watches WWE and roots for the Braves, the :censored: do I care what you think?)

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I am NJTank and therefore cannot comment on anything that has anything to do with anything except the Mets, trivia, or how I hate ESPN and anyone it likes. Especially Tom Brady. Also, I hate democrats.

Fixed. (I'm a NASCAR fan who watches WWE and roots for the Braves, the :censored: do I care what you think?)

Dude, Tank made sense. I'd rather see people who win races win the thing, instead of those who just race for points. It might be a Ricky Bobby/French dude thing, but it makes sense.

The thing you have to remember about the Budweiser Shootout as opposed to normal races is that the race is shorter which keeps the field from getting too spread out* whereas with a four or five hundred mile race the cars would eventually be strung out all along the track and make for a very boring race (and for those who already think that it's boring it would make it unbearably boring.)

Remember? I don't even watch cars drive around in circles on TV! </Requisite NASCAR Bashing>

IRL and CART have a handful of cars go around in circles too. And its attendance problems have little to do with the number of cars in a given race...

Dude, Tank made sense. I'd rather see people who win races win the thing, instead of those who just race for points. It might be a Ricky Bobby/French dude thing, but it makes sense.

Yes, his post made sense, but he's still wrong. NASCAR was built to be consistent. If you're just going to award who ever has the most wins, then why have points?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

Imagine if you would you get 100 bonus points (a number picked out of the air I dont know NASCAR's point system) for every win. Can you imagine how great the last lap would be as the 2nd place guy tries to get that bonus, instead of laying back and taking the 2nd place finish.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Imagine if you would you get 100 bonus points (a number picked out of the air I dont know NASCAR's point system) for every win. Can you imagine how great the last lap would be as the 2nd place guy tries to get that bonus, instead of laying back and taking the 2nd place finish.

Finishes like that already occur at both big (Talladega) and small (Bristol) tracks and only for 5 more points until this season. I could see more emphasis on winning, as point system similar to Formula 1 where the second place car gets 6 points to a winner's 10, but the sponsors would never go for that.

Yes, his post made sense, but he's still wrong. NASCAR was built to be consistent. If you're just going to award who ever has the most wins, then why have points?

Yeah. Be consistent in winning. Or at least conistently in the top 10 or 15. If we can see that out of a future champion, then I'll be truly happy with the point system. (But I'm not complaining because I *illegally* won a pretty penny by predicting Jimmy Johnson to win it this past year.)

Flame, you just contradicted yourself. The way the points are set up is for people to be consistent and get a shot at the title. What you and Tank are wanting (if you realize it or not) is for a driver to win like three races, then be able to take three more off and not have to worry about second place.

Back before this chase nonsense, the championships were close (a few even being decided at the last race), but what do I know, I've only been watching it my whole life.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

Finishes like that already occur at both big (Talladega) and small (Bristol) tracks and only for 5 more points until this season. I could see more emphasis on winning, as point system similar to Formula 1 where the second place car gets 6 points to a winner's 10, but the sponsors would never go for that.

FWIW, F1 changed to a 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system for points, awarding the top 8 drivers (out of 22), a few years ago. It still works out well enough, because IMO it strikes a nice balance between consistency and winning.

and I think NASCAR is in the position to say "You don't like the rule changes? Go home" to some of their sponsors. The association has become big enough to where sponsors will bend over and play ball a bit on those things; besides, save the league sponsors (see above reasoning for them to stay), the sponsors are with the teams and drivers, and both (particularly the drivers) are hot enough properties for them to want to be involved.

personally, I want the current format for NASCAR to end, for them to adopt the AVESCO Aussie V8 Supercars formula in the US (and bring over the Commodore and Falcon for US sales), and for the Frances to fold their GARRA, allowing the ALMS to truly grow and flourish as a strong sports car series, but that's just my perfect dream world that will never happen. Oh, and Champ Car and IRL merge and Speed stops slurping NASCAR. But, on a realistic note, the moves are steps in the right direction. Won't get me back into NASCAR every weekend, though.

harperdc.gif

I had a guy once tell me "If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport." I had no reply as I was so completely flabbergasted. Where to begin with this mentality?

Isn't that the same as: "If it's not one of the big 4, it's not a sport?" Or: "Turning left isn't a sport?"

(Also, I'm not arguing anymore about NASCAR, I hate the changes, and that's what matters to me.)

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

Archived