Interesting NCAA rule.

sacker12

I have just found out about this rule in the NCAA rulebook. It is Sec. 4, Art. 3, part B. It says "If a colored jersey contains white, it may appear only as a number, border of a number, player's name, school name, stripes on the sleeves, a border no more than 1 inch wide around the collar and cuffs, a maximum 4-inch stripe along the side seam (insert from the underarm to pants top), or as part of a legal insignia".

Does this mean that it is illegal for any team to have the NY Jets template, even if it is worn by a D-II or D-III school? I'm really curious about this.

Alright, my interpretation of the rule is that the body of the jersey cannot be both dark and white, except for numbers. I would think that the sleeves can be white on the dark jersey.

I know that the reason for the rule was because it was very difficult to tell the difference between the BYU's home jersey and the road team jersey. However, if only the sleeves are white, while the rest of the jersey is dark, I would argue that that would not be a problem. The NY Jets template is a dark jersey with white sleeves. However, there are NCAA teams in other divisions that do wear jerseys in that template.

ainge-houston_4038-lg.jpg

They allow all those Broncos copycat things (see new West Virginia unis) as well as all the other piping-side panel-italic number montrosities BUT they blackball these fantabulous Tennessee throwbacks citing the same rule

If you are referring to the home version, then I would guess so. However, those jerseys would still be legal because the rule only applies to dark jerseys.

Being that I am the only NCAA equipment manager that posts on this board, the rule is that at home, your jersey can be any color other than white or yellow. Home jerseys must be dark. The general rule of thumb is that you can have white in the trim, numbers, and piping. However, the body of the home jersey cannot be white (see the BYU bib style). Road jerseys have to be white. The body and sleeves must be white. The only parts of the jersey that can contain a color are the numbers, trim, and lettering. You are allowed to use any color for those items, as long as yellow is not a predominant color. By the way, the Jets' style is legal.

After reading the rule that started this thread, you can now see why the NCAA makes our lives a living hell. And if you think that rule ticky tack, then look at some of the others, not just in football but in other sports as well. Aloha y'all!

dodgers-1.png

Doesn't this:

Road jerseys have to be white. The body and sleeves must be white.

Contradict this?

By the way, the Jets' style is legal.

Or is the Jets' style legal only for dark jerseys?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Doesn't this:

Road jerseys have to be white. The body and sleeves must be white.

Contradict this?

By the way, the Jets' style is legal.

Or is the Jets' style legal only for dark jerseys?

The Jets style is legal for both versions. There are many teams with road jerseys that have dark colored sleeves and/or shoulders.

I would guess that on a dark jersey, the body and shoulders have to be dark. I would guess that the parts of the jersey that can be white would be the side panels and the sleeves.

ainge-houston_4038-lg.jpg

They allow all those Broncos copycat things (see new West Virginia unis) as well as all the other piping-side panel-italic number montrosities BUT they blackball these fantabulous Tennessee throwbacks citing the same rule

If you are referring to the home version, then I would guess so. However, those jerseys would still be legal because the rule only applies to dark jerseys.

There wasn't a home version of that jersey. The ones pictured were worn by Tennessee in the 2004 home opener against UNLV, and were a throwback to a 70's-era road jersey. The NCAA informed Tennessee the Tuesday following the game (Monday was a holiday) that the jerseys were illegal to be worn as road jerseys due to having too much color.

Later, UT filed a request to be allowed to wear the jerseys in the 2005 Cotton Bowl (following the '04 season) and, despite having the written approval of Texas A&m, the opponent, the NCAA denied the request and once again told UT that they would be subject to penalty if the jerseys were worn.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived