My High School

kewp80

I'm sorry, but "I agree" doesn't help me. If you look above there is a story about how our school got the mascot. Now instead of wasting my time having to write this how about giving some input into the CONCEPT, and technically it's not a baby, it's a kewpie.

ltravisjr-thanks for those, they will help a lot!

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but "I agree" doesn't help me. If you look above there is a story about how our school got the mascot. Now instead of wasting my time having to write this how about giving some input into the CONCEPT, and technically it's not a baby, it's a kewpie.

ltravisjr-thanks for those, they will help a lot!

I'm glad you find it useful, but be prepared for some frustration. I have heard it said that the human head is about the most difficult thing to master in art. Also, a "baby" or "kewpie" mascot may cause a lot of laughter, but if you can translate the uniqueness of the idea into a quality logo, it will be something truly memorable. Good luck!

LT

A kewpie is supposedly short or borrowed from the word "cupid", so maybe try implementing that into your design? Also, I am not certain (even though you are from there and may know more) that I would consider the kewpie an actual DIFFERENT thing or shape from a baby- it is practically the same exact thing just with a different name and story twist. The heads of babies are usually pictured with larger foreheads in most animations and depictions anyways I think...

Its going to be hard to turn this into a mascot I think that looks "tough"...because the whole idea just isn't...tough. Unless you wanna go the psycho-killer-chucky route.

From source:

The Kewpie is the mascot of Hickman High School in Columbia, Missouri. It is the only known school in the world with a Kewpie as its mascot. The name dates back to 1914 when a student working for the Columbia High School yearbook, the Cresset, drew a Kewpie holding a sign that dedicated the book to the basketball team "whose loyalty to the school and the Kewpie motto ?Keep Smiling? has won the State Championship."

"A "Kewpie Doll" is also a derogatory term for a short person."

I think I speak for alot of us when I say lets cut kewp some slack. I mean, having a baby mascot and the nickname "Kewpies" has got to be the hardest things to do a concept for. You couldve come up with anything and I'd give it a thumbs up just because I know the effort you had to put in that would be excruciating. don't worry kewp, I got your back, man.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

A Kewpie doesn't have a head like a human, here's a pic:

kewpie-3.gif

See how huge the forehead is!

here's my advice...find a good reference picture (you may already have it above), maybe even find a kewpie doll and draw it (on paper) as realistically as you can...draw it from a couple of different angles and find a pose that you really like, then start adding features like a furrowed brow or clenched mouth and some shading until you get something you like...then, and only then, scan it into the computer and start tracing it

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived