Cubs Logo

John3020

Hi Everyone,

As I was admiring the cover of Sports Illustrated this week (Soriano and Piniella), excitedly thinking about the upcoming baseball season, I noticed something with the Cubs logo that had never caught my attention previously. Underneath the S in Cubs is the registered trademark logo ®. I honestly don't remember it being there before, even though an older Starstruck catalog confirmed it has been.

How long has it been there? I don't think I've seen it on any jersey for other teams that have the logo on one side of the chest (Yankees, Tigers, D-Backs), or on teams that have the full team name going across for that matter. Have I just been blind to this fact for years???

Thanks,

John

I thought it was one of those things that was on the replicas but not the authentics. Guess not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Uni Watch

Corporate Graffiti

by Paul Lukas

May 25th, 2002 12:00 AM

Those annoying little ® and ? symbols, so symptomatic of our legalese-obsessed culture, are especially prevalent in sports, where any officially licensed team product?a Met T-shirt, say, or a Yankee bumper sticker?is sure to be festooned with trademark-related iconography. The one exception is on the field of play itself, where the team emblems on players' jerseys, caps, and helmets are blissfully free of trademark symbols.

Except at Wrigley Field, that is. Look closely at the Cubs' home unis and you'll see that the team's circular chest emblem carries an ®, just below the s in Cubs. This is unique not only in Major League Baseball, but among all the major sports. So if other teams aren't cluttering up their unis with excess marks, why are the Cubs doing it?

"I'd like to give you a good reason," said Cubs marketing VP John McDonough when this question was posed to him. "But I've been here 19 years and I really have no idea." McDonough referred Uni Watch to the Cubs' uniform manufacturer, Majestic, where a representative said the company was simply using the same design specifications it inherited three years earlier from the team's previous outfitter, Rawlings, which no longer has any records on the matter. In fact, nobody's even sure when Chicago's ® began appearing, much less why. "I don't mean to sound insensitive," said McDonough after fruitlessly searching his files for relevant info, "but really, who cares?"

Ah yes, the middle manager's favorite tactic: When flummoxed by a question, accuse the questioner of being pedantic. Granted, it's a picky point, but McDonough's indifference is precisely the sort of attitude that has allowed corporate graffiti like ® and ? to proliferate in the first place, and the last thing we need is for this particular phenomenon to spread to other teams. Uni Watch has long maintained that the only logo on a team's uniform should be that of the team itself?that's what the fans are actually cheering for, after all. And given that the typical big-leaguer is already wearing Major League Baseball's logo in three places (back of cap, back jersey collar, undershirt collar), the uniform manufacturer's logo in at least two places (left jersey sleeve, above left pants pocket, and sometimes on undershirt sleeves), and a carnival of iconography on his spikes, wristbands, and batting gloves, it's time to say enough is enough. Read Uni Watch's lips: There's no ® in Cubs.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

That ridiculous ® has to have been there since at least the mid-'80s. I never understood why it was there when I was a kid, and I never remember seeing a Cubs uni without it. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's been there since at least right around the time the "angry Cub" first graced the sleeve.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can confirm that it has been there since '98

The authentic Russell Cubs home white jersey I bought in 1997 at Wrigley Field has no ® symbol. The 2006 Majestic model I bought on clearance a couple of weeks ago for $40 does. And it annoys me as much as the ones I see on the field.

So 1998 sounds about right to me.

EDIT: But here it is in 1994-96 (based on the sleeve patch) on Ryne Sandberg:

ryne1128.jpg

And this is even older, sometime between 1982-1989 with a pullover jersey, and if you look closely, it's there:

sandberg.JPG

So who knows. Guess it never bothered me as a kid (or even when it wasn't on my '97 jersey).

I noticed it the first time I bought a Cubs authentic jersey - which is when Rawlings started making them in 1987. I do know they where there before and I think the 1979 redesign makes a logical starting point.

I just wanted to come back and revise my statement. When I first saw this thread I instantly went as far back in the style guides that are available to me (which was '98 obviously). While thumbing through the guides today I noticed that in '99 the © was changed to a TM and has been that way since.

DucksCupSig.png

ChargersSig4.gif

I just wanted to come back and revise my statement. When I first saw this thread I instantly went as far back in the style guides that are available to me (which was '98 obviously). While thumbing through the guides today I noticed that in '99 the © was changed to a TM and has been that way since.

Even though the Cubs website, publications and merchandise now use the 'TM', the jersey itself continues to use the ®

bttEwjoJ.jpgpMLB2-1826264dt.jpg06RyanDempsterStudio.jpg

• LMU locked this topic

Archived