NEW! University of Arizona Basketball Uniforms

amare32

I was in Tucson today for a Spring Training game, after which I stopped at the UA Student Union. They had for sale authentic -- i.e., stitched tackle twill -- Wildcats basketball uniforms.

As tho that weren't cool enough, these uniforms were BRAND SPANKING NEW. I'm a big fan of the design they've worn since I was there in the mid-90s, but I am really impressed w/ the new look.

The uniforms retain the current wordmark and numeral font. But gone are the side stripes. Rather, the front of the jersey is almost entirely clean -- stark, simple and beautiful.

The shoulders are a bit wider, w/ a v-neck cut. On the back is piping, a little silver at the top and then white as it tapers slightly down the back.

They had the shorts to match and a white set as well. On the shorts are "Cats" written vertically, as on the classic set. The piping from the back of the jerseys is continued on the shorts.

I asked the cashier, who told me that the uniforms were stocked only as a special promotion for the tournament. They will not be for sale once the initial supplies are gone. Naturally, I could not pass the opportunity, so I purchased the navy road jersey.

When I get a chance, I will post some photographs in this thread. Rest assured, Cats fans, these uniforms are S-W-E-E-T.

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

17405523_z.jpg

OK, this is NOT the new Arizona jersey (obviously), but the cut is basically identical. Imagine white piping down the back along the seams. Imagine also navy, red and white and overall UA awesomeness. Actual photos of Arizona jersey to follow.

wow, those 'Cuse unis are.....um.... well, they're not Syracuse.

Those are the stupidest one-time, (thank god for small favors) uni's I've ever seen.

The silver is ridiculous and so unneccesary.

Please Nike, please stop. Your hemorrhaging all over the sports world.

Those Syracuse uniforms are stupid? Well have you not seen the current set that has navy blue lettering and numbers on orange? My question is what happened to this school? They use to look so classy and now they look so crappy!

Those Syracuse uniforms are stupid? Well have you not seen the current set that has navy blue lettering and numbers on orange? My question is what happened to this school? They use to look so classy and now they look so crappy!

I think that these are even worse than the current set. However, I really like the Carmelo set.

From what Amare said, they might just be one-time tournament uniforms, similar to what other schools are doing, which would seem to indicate that Arizona will bring back their standard uniforms next year. Here's a picture linked from the uniwatch blog:

030507h.jpg

In my opinion, the Syracuse ones are hot, I like the Florida ones for some weird reason (even though I'm more or less a traditionalist), and the Ohio State ones are pointless- not much change from their regular kit.

The fit is a major problem, though - the players look stupid wearing a skin-tight top with a tent on the bottom.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

So, I guess when it comes to the unnecessary addition of colors, silver is the new black, eh? Nike's done it to Arizona, Florida, Syracuse, and Oregon, after doing it to every team in the Big 10/ACC Challenge last year. Ohio State conveniently already has Nike's new branding color in their scheme, so they didn't have to worry - though I'm surprised Nike didn't add green or purple to them just for shiggles.

I have seen the future, and it is ill-fitting and poorly conceived.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From the goazcats.com board:

attachmentf793ebg7.jpg

Unbelievable. They look like practice jerseys.

There is indeed beauty in simplicity. I wish Nike understood that. Those other unis on the page are just horrible. UGH! I appreciate the pushing of envelopes when it comes to design, but that whole sleeve thing does not belong in basketball.

The Syracuse uniforms are crap, but the Arizona unis are a thing of beauty, IMO. Nike is best when they do simple stuff, and stop trying to put pipes and stripes everywhere.

I must be in the minority, I like the new Arizona unis. I can accept the OSU jersey, but Florida's and especially Syracuse's are atrocious.

I don't know that you're in the minority. I can tell you, they look better in person than on the mannequin in the photo. They're sharp.

Archived