Old Dominion Football

sc49erfan15

This, to my knowledge, is a first for this concept series. It's for a team who currently does not have a football team, but is in the process of getting one. (In 2009...) I browsed ODU's site looking for anything (usually, there's at least a helmet) but found nothing. Onto the concept...

OldDominionFootball1.png

-Plethora of logos, there was actually one more (lion w/"Monarchs" banner) that I didn't have room for. Wasn't much different though, so I'm not worried about it.

-Went with the lion/shield as the helmet logo, because the diagonal ODU just fit weird. It's diagonal, but not completely diagonal because of the crown, and centering it was just flat out weird. It's hard to explain, but I think the lion/shield works well. The facemask looks black for some reason (must be the outlines) but it's navy blue.

-Jersey design just came to me...something tells me it's one of those "either you like it or you don't" things. It's somewhat like the Jets, but "extended."

That's pretty much it...hit me with some C&C. Hopefully more than my Santa Clara concept, which you're more than welcome to bump out of obscurity. Thanks in advance!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

really nice man.

nice set of proffessional looking logos and a nice looking set of unis.

i like.

the tiniest of things that caught my attension, and you may have considered it and disregarded it:

you may have possibly missed a trick with the ODU capitals. they look like they could interlink slightly more

than they do already. the O and D especially.

really nice man.

nice set of proffessional looking logos and a nice looking set of unis.

i like.

the tiniest of things that caught my attension, and you may have considered it and disregarded it:

you may have possibly missed a trick with the ODU capitals. they look like they could interlink slightly more

than they do already. the O and D especially.

those are actually odu's official logos, he didn't design them

good choice on the helmet logo...it's really the only one that would work in my opinion

i like the creativitiy of the jersey/pants design, but i'm not sure i'd like it in real life - also not sure that i like the outermost thin strip/piping on the pants...maybe if the pant stripe was just the color of the jersey inset i'd like it better - i also think the pant stripe should have a more forward curve...i realize this might make it look very much like the "bronco stripe", but it looks a bit odd to me

otherwise, great work! i like the quaternary logo over the name plate (i'm assuming thats what that is)

jldesigns404eo.png

I like the design as a whole, Shane, but I think the jerseys are missing a little something. I'd try contrasting color trim on the sleeve elastic (white for home, blue for away/alternate) just to see how it looks. Also, I always thought the ODU crown logo would make a really great helmet logo for football (even though they're currently using the tertiary logo, it could be subject to change). Great work overall...

QPR%20Sig.png

I really like what you did with this set. There are only two gripes that I have:

1. Since ODU is a Nike school, I would like to see what you could do with a Nike template.

2. If you notice in their color scheme, they use a Columbia Blue. I would like to see what you could do with that.

Other than that, a solid concept as usual. BTW, I love this series of concepts.

dodgers-1.png

I really like what you did with this set. There are only two gripes that I have:

1. Since ODU is a Nike school, I would like to see what you could do with a Nike template.

2. If you notice in their color scheme, they use a Columbia Blue. I would like to see what you could do with that.

Other than that, a solid concept as usual. BTW, I love this series of concepts.

Thanks for the comments, everybody. Looks like I got a little bit of tweaking to do...hopefully I'll have that done within the next few days.

And that Columbia Blue...I have no idea how I didn't see that. I spent at least 2 hours browsing ODU's site to get a feel for their unis, and...I'm baffled. I guess I just thought it was gray. That'll definitely be part of the update, thanks for pointing that out.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 2 weeks later...

I like the design as a whole, Shane, but I think the jerseys are missing a little something. I'd try contrasting color trim on the sleeve elastic (white for home, blue for away/alternate) just to see how it looks. Also, I always thought the ODU crown logo would make a really great helmet logo for football (even though they're currently using the tertiary logo, it could be subject to change). Great work overall...

ODU isn't a Nike school. It's just their basketball team that uses Nike.

JR5

NikeTalk.gif

• 8 months later...

I am a new member of the board, but I've noticed that ODU, according to The Helmet Project, has decided to start a football program in Fall 2009. The helmet that ODU plans to use according to THP is silver with a black mask and the logo is the quaternary logo and the navy stripes appear to be linear, but I'm not too sure. To view it at THP, it's under the Future College Teams page and you should be able to scroll down to view it.

Maybe you could integrate that into your original uniform concept.

texaslonghornssigvw0.png

I am a new member of the board, but I've noticed that ODU, according to The Helmet Project, has decided to start a football program in Fall 2009. The helmet that ODU plans to use according to THP is silver with a black mask and the logo is the quaternary logo and the navy stripes appear to be linear, but I'm not too sure. To view it at THP, it's under the Future College Teams page and you should be able to scroll down to view it.

Maybe you could integrate that into your original uniform concept.

yes, I saw that a month or so ago on Uni Watch. I'll try and find a link, but I remember they did have uniforms. Oh and congrats on revivng a 9 month old topic!

• 5 months later...

I'm so sorry to bring back an old topic, but I was looking at your other "colleges without football" concepts, and I have to say that these are amazing! My dad went to ODU, and I know he's looking forward to watching them on TV (if they EVER get to be on like SportSouth or something like that) when they come into existence. They would be a pleasure to watch, no matter how much they suck, in these uniforms. Great job!

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

• 4 months later...
according to The Helmet Project, the helmet they're actually using uses the quarternary logo

Really? My man, he made these in 2007... Before they had a team. And its a concept, doesn't have to have the same helmet.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

according to The Helmet Project, the helmet they're actually using uses the quarternary logo

Really? My man, he made these in 2007... Before they had a team. And its a concept, doesn't have to have the same helmet.

He did not make these logos up. These were the new logos introduced to the school in 2002 when they brought back light blue back into their color scheme.

JR5

NikeTalk.gif

He did not make these logos up. These were the new logos introduced to the school in 2002 when they brought back light blue back into their color scheme.

JR5

He didn't say he made the logos. Stumpy was saying the helmet was incorrect, PhilliesPhan was pointing out that the concept was made BEFORE the team was created and therefore was not incorrect, it was just an idea before the fact.

And let's end this rash of reviving old threads, ok? Every so often we have about 5 or 6 old ones brought up by newbies only to post "nice job" or "these would never work" or some 8 word comment that gives no validation to an old topic being revived. You don't have to post a comment to look at an old concept.

Archived