GEC Name Reverts To Original

oz615

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=55008

GEC to be renamed the ‘Nashville Arena’

By Bill Harless, bharless@nashvillecitypaper.com

March 07, 2007

The GEC will not be the GEC much longer.

The Nashville Predators have notified Metro the team intends to drop the “Gaylord Entertainment Center” appellation of the downtown arena it calls home and to re-title the complex, at least for the time being, the “Nashville Arena.”

In 2005, the hockey team and Gaylord Entertainment Co. ended a year-and-a-half legal dispute regarding a 20-year, $80 million naming rights agreement Gaylord was seeking to drop as it shed its 20-percent ownership interest in the Predators. Gaylord agreed to pay the team a multimillion-dollar sum to end the dispute, but the GEC name has continued to sit on the arena.

Nashville Predators Executive Vice President Ed Lang notified Metro Sports Authority Chairman Kevin Lavender of the intended name change in a Feb. 26 letter, stating, “It is the Predators’ ultimate intention to secure a long-term naming rights partner for the facility. In the interim, though, we believe it most appropriate to return the venue identification to its original name — the Nashville Arena.”

“Gaylord was an important part of the Predators’ initial ownership, as well as the naming rights partner, playing a key role in the franchise’s birth and development here in Nashville and only negotiated exit agreements due to an overall corporate business strategy change,” Lang continued

“We recognize the commitment the Nashville community made in building the Nashville Arena and we are committed to securing a naming rights partner that all of Nashville will be proud to have associated with the City and the facility!”

“Effective March 16, 2007, all communications and references (website, game and event broadcasts, advertising and promotion, etc.) will identify the facility as the Nashville Arena,” Lang wrote to Lavender.

The Predators can rename the arena per contract with the Sports Authority. The city owns the GEC.

Thoughts, and no relocation nonsense please.:)

Haven't they been looking for a new corporate sponsor since before the start of the season? Seems like they should have been able to find one by now.

I dunno, these things take some time.

The Blues were looking for a new name for their arena for sometime, and it was said to have been quite amazing that they got one before the season to started.

Haven't they been looking for a new corporate sponsor since before the start of the season? Seems like they should have been able to find one by now.

I dunno, these things take some time.

The Blues were looking for a new name for their arena for sometime, and it was said to have been quite amazing that they got one before the season to started.

Could have been worse sponsor-wise. Remember 2001's Dome at America's Center? (Only announced that it would be the Edward Jones Dome at that year's NFC Championship).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Did Adelphia Coliseum finally find a new sponsor? I can't remember.

Seems like corporate sponsorship for naming rights aren't as easy to grab as they once were. Hell, the Arena in Oakland took almost a decade before they found someone willing to affix their name to it.

Did Adelphia Coliseum finally find a new sponsor? I can't remember.

Seems like corporate sponsorship for naming rights aren't as easy to grab as they once were. Hell, the Arena in Oakland took almost a decade before they found someone willing to affix their name to it.

The football field? It's now LP Field, LP being Louisiana Pacific, a building material supplier.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

All this really means is, when I ever finish my "Nashville's got The Gay!" sig banner, it will be even more outdated than it would have been otherwise.

RIP, The Gay.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Yeah, same thing happened with Raleigh's arena despite tremendous local business support and a burgeoning (sp?) economy at the time... took nearly 3 years before someone ponied up the right amount of dough.

Relax, Nashville. You're fine.

Not to hijack the thread, but since you live there, weren't the naming rights originally given to hog farmer, Wendell Murphy and his company, Murphy Farms? (His net worth is over $800 million..mostly on hogs).

Since the primary tenant was going to be NC State, he and his company made an in-kind donation for naming rights. As the scope of the project shifted to the Hurricanes, didn't he hold out to assist the university in getting more than his original donation of $10 million?

Yeah, same thing happened with Raleigh's arena despite tremendous local business support and a burgeoning (sp?) economy at the time... took nearly 3 years before someone ponied up the right amount of dough.

Relax, Nashville. You're fine.

Not to hijack the thread, but since you live there, weren't the naming rights originally given to hog farmer, Wendell Murphy and his company, Murphy Farms? (His net worth is over $800 million..mostly on hogs).

Since the primary tenant was going to be NC State, he and his company made an in-kind donation for naming rights. As the scope of the project shifted to the Hurricanes, didn't he hold out to assist the university in getting more than his original donation of $10 million?

To be honest I'm not sure about Murphy's relationship with the building and naming rights for the Raleigh arena. But as a current NC State student and lifelong Raleigh-Cary resident I can tell you that it would not surprise me at all if what you said was the case. Murphy has paid for most things at our University over past years and in my opinion has been very benevolent in his giving to the Wolfpack program.

Also, I just wanted to say that Nashville is a fantastic city and you guys have nothing to worry about. I was in Nashville all last week for my spring break from NC State and I absolutely love the city. I've been there many times before, with much of my family in Nashville, Brentwood, and Franklin, but everytime I visit I never want to leave.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

• LMU locked this topic

Archived