Why does New Era always screw up the Houston Astros Throwback Caps?

BamaHater

Almost every Houston Astros throwback cap that New Era makes whether it be a fashion or game cap that has the Star H logo uses a fat H. During the time the Stros wore the caps, both Orange and Blue ones used the skinny H. It never really bugged me till I bought both an Orange and a Blue cap. The orange one has the correct small H (bought from Distance Replays) and the blue has the fat H (bought from ebayer FRSVEGAS). Distant Replays is the only place i've seen to get it right. Even the Astros team store has the fat H logo.

PAAAAAIADGJKKFAF.jpg

Skinny Logo

P0053932.jpg

Fat Logo

Wow, That is seriously minor difference. I've cataloged every mlb hat since 1940 and I never noticed that.

I can slightly see what you 're talking about.

It's funny though, I thought I was the only one who looked for things like this. I'm trying to find a 1999 Padres alt cap because thats the only year that they used a white button.

You are not alone in you OCD.

It's basically that the serifs on the lower part of the H are flush with the star on the skinny, and extend medially into the space between the lower points on the star in the fat incorrect version right?

I can see how it would be more noticeable in person.

I'm sorry. I am extremely nitpicky, and I cannot ascertain a difference. Additionally, that level of difference likely existed back when the Astros wore those caps. We all like to think everything was perfect, but font consistency etc was extremely inconsistent back when.

I see the difference when really looking at them, but the one on the blue, I wouldn't call fatter, well unless you are talking the strokes. The "H" is probably the same width, if it was a different width and noticeable I'd say it was fatter, but the strokes seem to be more bolder. I do see that the blue version is a slightly taller style, maybe a point or two if you were to type it out, kind of like that 14 pt type that you would use to write a 10 page paper instead of the normal 12 pt. *LOL*

I agree with griffelh. If you go back to the 70s and look at the Phillies, you'll notice all different types of swirl-Ps, some that are vertical, some that are angled, some where the "swirl" touches the left vertical bar of the P, some where there is a space, etc. With the way they mass produce things today, they just have to pick one and run with it.

I don't think you are nuts, Bama, but I do think you may be being a little too hard on NE in this case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's a good point. But what amazes me is how frequently they choose the wrong one.

I had a thread on this a while back - somehow a version of the Brooklyn Dodgers' "B" that was used for part of one season has become the one official logo, and the classic version that was used for decades is largely absent from Cooperstown Collection merchandise.

Well there were definitely some strange production consistencies. The braves M changed but you never see the skinny inside part ever even though it seems that it was used for a few years. Now was it bad quality production back then that was finally corrected or did they officially change the design.

1.jpg

2.jpg

You're right - like the Phillies' P, there were many variations of most of these logos. I do not believe that they officially changed the design.

The upper one appears to be a felt patch sewn on to the cap, which would date it as 1954. That's the correct style of most of the Ms the Braves wore in Milwaukee, though, and that the Brewers wore from 1970 through 1977.

My research indicates that the M Warren Spahn is wearing was only used in parts of 1956 and 1957 (the sleeve patch would date from 1966). Sure is ugly, ain't it? It's also the version that Cooperstown Ballcap Co. sells:

MILN54.GIF

• LMU locked this topic

Archived