The FC in America

cyandlux

On a related note, I heard a pretty good idea for a St. Louis soccer team name... Olympique St. Louis. Ties in its use in the French LFP team names with the French history of the city. At least there's some logic to it.

I was actually going to suggest a name of that sort in the thread on the potential for MLS in New Orleans.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a related note, I heard a pretty good idea for a St. Louis soccer team name... Olympique St. Louis. Ties in its use in the French LFP team names with the French history of the city. At least there's some logic to it.

I was actually going to suggest a name of that sort in the thread on the potential for MLS in New Orleans.

You do realize Olympique is going to be the new name of the Fire in 2-3 years....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MLS can make a pretty big local impact in markets where it is one of the primary teams, such as Salt Lake City. However, if it puts together a whole league comprised primarily of markets like that, it will be perceived as minor league. Cities like Wichita, Sioux Falls, Bismarck and Albuquerque may provide rabid fan bases, but, for better or worse (and no offense intended whatsoever), they are perceived as second-tier (at best) cities.

Bismarck isn't a soccer city, anyway. Bismarck is big on basketball, which is why the Dakota Wizards are so popular. Besides, Fargo is bigger than Bismarck and Sioux Falls is bigger than Fargo.

But why even mention that? Why not the Twin Cities?

Thanks for the link - that's exactly what I wanted.

I don't think "Cosmos" is in any way comparable to using "Arsenal" or "Real." In both those cases, that's adopting another area's heritage as your own.

Dude, that's what the original Cosmos did, they named the team the Cosmopolitans because Metropolitans was a popular team name in New York. This may hold true for a lot of teams, but what if, in theory, a new baseball franchise was made in New York and they were called the Dodgers. I mean that would face a lot of opposition, not to mention the Cosmos are considered legendary in American soccer, reusing the team name would be looked upon as cheap. I mean remember when people thought the Rapids were changing their name to Arsenal Colorado, before they knew of their partnership? People may not get as uppity about a new Cosmos team but it would not be a popular move.

You do realize Olympique is going to be the new name of the Fire in 2-3 years....

Since when? Would they really forgo all the rabid Fire fans and just rename the team like that? Not to mention the Fire has a lot of Polish supporters.

Quest2copy.pngnflseattlelr4.png

fifaunitedstateschampsnc4.pngTottenhamHotspur.png

I don't think "Cosmos" is in any way comparable to using "Arsenal" or "Real." In both those cases, that's adopting another area's heritage as your own.

Dude, that's what the original Cosmos did, they named the team the Cosmopolitans because Metropolitans was a popular team name in New York. This may hold true for a lot of teams, but what if, in theory, a new baseball franchise was made in New York and they were called the Dodgers. I mean that would face a lot of opposition, not to mention the Cosmos are considered legendary in American soccer, reusing the team name would be looked upon as cheap. I mean remember when people thought the Rapids were changing their name to Arsenal Colorado, before they knew of their partnership? People may not get as uppity about a new Cosmos team but it would not be a popular move.

Since when? Would they really forgo all the rabid Fire fans and just rename the team like that? Not to mention the Fire has a lot of Polish supporters.

I think maybe the sarcasm in his post was not as obvious to you as it was to me.

Dude, that's what the original Cosmos did, they named the team the Cosmopolitans because Metropolitans was a popular team name in New York.

It was?

I know that New York is a great baseball town, but who knew that it had so many fans of the 19th century game? :P

The Mets have never been the "Metropolitans." Ever. For that matter, the Cosmos didn't use "Cosmopolitans." I don't ever remember them playing up any connection at all.

I suspect more people thought it was more a Carl Sagan reference than an attempt to ride the baseball club's pinstiped coattails. :D

This may hold true for a lot of teams, but what if, in theory, a new baseball franchise was made in New York and they were called the Dodgers. I mean that would face a lot of opposition, not to mention the Cosmos are considered legendary in American soccer, reusing the team name would be looked upon as cheap. I mean remember when people thought the Rapids were changing their name to Arsenal Colorado, before they knew of their partnership? People may not get as uppity about a new Cosmos team but it would not be a popular move.

I can honestly say that you are wrong. There was a vocal minority among New York soccer fans calling on the league to name the new team "Cosmos" back in 1994. There were rumors floating around at the time (back in those pre-Interweb days when we had to spread rumors the old-fashioned way, at the soccer shop) that MLS looked into buying the name, but balked at the then-$1M asking price.

Even now, there are movements on fan boards to name the proposed new team "Cosmos." I haven't seen any corresponding action proclaiming it a terrible idea.

I see no reason that it would be an unpopular move. I admit that many people wouldn't get the reference, as those days fade further into history every year, but of those who remember I don't have any indication that they would respond as you suggest. In the wake of "Once in a Lifetime", the Cosmos are hot again in New York soccer circles (you wouldn't believe how many more people I see on the street in green and gold, not to mention at my local football pubs).

The comparison breaks down because there is still a National League team named the Dodgers. Had the Dodgers ceased to exist in 1958, it would fit. More on point would be the Baltimore Orioles, or as previously mentioned the Milwaukee Brewers and San Diego Padres - new teams adopting the name of thier storied predecessors - where was the opposition then?

Seeing what I wrote and seeing the responses makes me realize that I may not have been as clear as I could.

I wouldn't pull OUT of any of the cities MLS is in, I'd just branch out into those "smaller markets."

In order of preference on the Dakota issue is: Sioux Falls, Fargo, then Bismarck. Sioux Falls is obviously the biggest and most potential soccer city of the 3.

I agree with the balance. You do need a presence in NY, LA, and Chicago with some presence in some other "sports heavy" markets... but as soon as possible, I'd also include more Canadian franchises and a Mexico City franchise (they'd sell out a stadium for MLS... in MC that is). San Antonio is another smaller market that would be a good MLS city, especially if Mexico City is in the cards for expansion.

Bismarck is a basketball city, yes, but I think that the semi-pro hockey team the Bismarck Bobcats are pretty big here, too.

I am not opposed to a Twin Cities team but my experience with Minnesota people can be summed up in a quote: "Soccer sucks." Yeah, I am lumping them into two words, and there are some soccer fans in Minnesota, but overall, my experience (personally) has been that if it doesn't involve ice, a stick, a hardwood court, or an American football, they don't care. So much for Minnesota nice.

Enough with this endless debate already. Americans are used to nicknames, not clubs. NFL Europa has been "successful" in their branding because they said "this is how an American football team is branded" The silly stuff like FC Barcelona and Centurions Koln are laughed at and the NFL is smart enough to pull the plug on such stupidity.

The mishmosh of names in the MLS is amusing. You have some great team names (Colorodo Rapids), absoultely stupid ones ( NY Red Bull) and the hideous (Real Salt Lake). Those are cheap knockoffs of the real McCoy. If you are going to "brand" something with the same ownership like they have in Colorado (Mammoth, Avalanche, Rapids), you have them wear the same colors.

Having the Cosmos would be an honor - they were the high point of US soccer. And soccer does very well in Minnesota, and that was in part thanks to the Strikers.

I've followed soccer a long time and played the sport. I won't go near the MLS.

Having the Cosmos would be an honor - they were the high point of US soccer. And soccer does very well in Minnesota, and that was in part thanks to the Strikers.

Some would argue the '02 World Cup Team, but we're entitled to our opinions.

I've followed soccer a long time and played the sport. I won't go near the MLS.

That's a shame. Despite a few ill-chosen names you're really missing out.

I just read an article in the local San Diego paper discussing John Moores and his attempt to get an MLS franchise in San Diego, even wanting to build a soccer-only stadium to make it happen. If he's successful, then there are a lot of options open:

1. Tie the team to the Padres and make them both AC San Diego

2. Work with a Mexican League team for a partnership like Chivas USA

3. (my favorite) Bring back the Sockers name and colors

4. Bring the Gauchos name and colors up to the MLS (don't see this happening)

5. Something new altogether

Any thoughts on these or ideas for #5?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Okay, the Mets weren't ever really the Metropolitans, but I'm pretty darn sure that's where they got their name. Same with the Cosmos, it's supposed to be from Cosmopolitan. The movie also apparently said that the Cosmos were supposed to be named like the Mets, but I couldn't find proof of that.

No matter what though reviving something legendary just seems a little cheap. And who's to say that the new Cosmos will do as good as the original? People thought the same way about the MetroStars, and while they weren't the Cosmos they were pretty sure they would live up to that expectation and they ended up sucking their first 10 seasons.

I just read an article in the local San Diego paper discussing John Moores and his attempt to get an MLS franchise in San Diego, even wanting to build a soccer-only stadium to make it happen. If he's successful, then there are a lot of options open:

1. Tie the team to the Padres and make them both AC San Diego

2. Work with a Mexican League team for a partnership like Chivas USA

3. (my favorite) Bring back the Sockers name and colors

4. Bring the Gauchos name and colors up to the MLS (don't see this happening)

5. Something new altogether

Any thoughts on these or ideas for #5?

Bring back the name Sockers? Seriously if there were a team name that screamed minor league that'd be it. Sure they were successful and everything, but they were successful in a sport that not a whole lot of people pay attention to. In fact it goes for just about any team name that's a verb that's been conjugated into a noun (Strikers would be another good example). I mean imagine a baseball team called the Portland Home Runners, or a football team called the Boise Footballers (or just the Ballers?). Or maybe we could be blunt and make a basketball team called the Las Vegas Really Tall Men. We know who you are and what you do, don't have a redundant name.

Quest2copy.pngnflseattlelr4.png

fifaunitedstateschampsnc4.pngTottenhamHotspur.png

Okay, the Mets weren't ever really the Metropolitans, but I'm pretty darn sure that's where they got their name.

When the New York Mets unveiled their team name in 1961, owner Joan Whitney Payson announced that the moniker had been chosen because it fit five criteria.

* It was found to be overwhelmingly accepted by both fans and the press.

* It was a natural abbreviation of the franchise's official corporate name, The New York Metropolitan Baseball Club, Inc.

* It referenced the New York metropolitan area.

* It referenced the 19th-century Metropolitan Club baseball team, also known as the New York Metropolitans.

* It was short, which provided for ease of use in print media coverage.

Just a question, but why does AC go BEFORE the city name?

It's grammatically correct for romantic languages, where descriptive titles tend to go before nouns (f.x., FC Barcelona, AS Roma, etc.)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Just a question, but why does AC go BEFORE the city name?

It's grammatically correct for romantic languages, where descriptive titles tend to go before nouns (f.x., FC Barcelona, AS Roma, etc.)

Yeah, but it isn't grammatically correct in english.

Yeah, but it isn't grammatically correct in english.

It's European-style, therefore it is automatically superior to the pottage that is North American styles of naming professional sports teams, and should not be questioned. Rather simple logic, really...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

If "Dallas Burn" is in any way exemplary of the "North American style", then you are correct.

It wouldn't be so bad, if it were "Burn Dallas," and "Dallas" was replaced by "97 Great White fans."

Oh, it is NOT too soon for THAT one.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived