Arizona cardinals logo/uni concept

nitroseed

This is the first concept I've posted on here in quite some time, but I thought I'd share it with you fine folks. I'm doing a major overhaul of my portfolio site soon, and am accordingly updating/tweaking the logos and uniform concepts I've previously created.

That said, some of you may recognize the two logo marks I used in this concept, as they've been up on my site for a good while now. However, I took it upon myself to revamp the uniform concept I designed for this logo set. My old one used a bit too much gold and some round, non-traditional numbers. This one leans more towards the traditional, with a little spice woven into the simplicity. I tried moving the secondary mark I created to the chest instead of putting it on the shoulders and I think it turned out for the better. You be the judge.

As for the pants, they can really be interchanged as needed. If an all-red uni is desired, the red jersey and pants mesh well together. Need an all-white roadie? No problem. And the alternate can work with any of the three sets of pants.

Any comments and critiques, preferably constructive, are always appreciated. Thanks!

Arizona Cardinals (Red, White and Navy version)

UPDATE: Arizona Cardinals (Red, White and Gray version)

I love these (except the alternate, but it's just my standing policy to hate alternates)

I always loved the modernized cardinal head you have done, and these uni's are just beautiful (i like the crest on the shoulder. That crest is simply amazing)

You are a god amongst insects, Nitro.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I dunno. Honestly, not a really big fan. The first thing I thought when I saw these was USC (South Carolina, the real USC...the poser USC is Southern Cal, not USC.  :;):) The second thing I thought of was my high school team, both because of the colors.

I think what the Cardinals have right now is damn near perfect. It only makes sense for the oldest football team in the NFL to have a clean, simple, traditional uniform that still looks good. All the Cardinals need to do is make the white jerseys exact reciprocals of the red ones (replace the striping and state flag with the numbers) and ditch the red pants. Wear the white pants ALL the time, they looked fabulous with the white jerseys. Keep the helmets unstriped and I'm even going against my previous opinion...leave the facemasks gray.

That said, I do like the modernized cardinal head. It's extremely well-done, just not the thing for the Arizona Cardinals. The secondary logo with the cardinal head and the state flag design is also great. The unis...I'm not sure about. I don't like the Redskins' uniforms, mainly because of the striping..and it's the same here. I like stripes to be equal, gray-black-gray and black-white-black, instead of two thick grey-black stripes or two thick black-white stripes. From a worksmanship and quality of design standpoint, it's beautiful. I think this could work for almost any Cardinal team, Ball State, Louisville...just not Arizona. One of the extreme few of your designs that I haven't been the biggest fan of.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I agree with you 9er, the Cards current uniforms are as close to perfection as you can get, however, the people of Arizona seem hell bent on destroying one of the best looks in the NFL. If they are going to destroy their current uniforms, might as well replace them with something that at least looks good, and Nitro, i think, has accomplished a good look. As good as their currents? No, but what can you do?

sB9ijEj.png

Alternate screams Texans to me

That's the first thought that came to my head... actually, Texans is the first thought I had in regards to the colours generally.

I love the concept, but I am of the belief that the Cards should go to a red, silver, and white scheme, because it as a scheme is not yet used. Normally I'd say red, copper, white, but the Bucs, 49ers, and Cheifs basically have that spectrum covered.

I love that logo, and the jerseys design is slick.

Great concept.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

My issue with the Cardinals uniforms is that, despite the whole traditional aspect, they're completely boring. No striping, no outline on the numbers, no shoulder logos, nothing. Just a cardinal red jersey with white box numbers. When I see that, it makes me think of a Rec Center youth team that got their jerseys wholesale from the local sports store. I think if you're a team with a history to be proud of, then I could see being traditional on a regular basis. But, I think with as bad and boring as the Cards are and have been, they could use a bit of spice in their on-field look.

That's just my take on it and that's why I designed a new concept for them. Either way, thanks for the comments!

BIG improvement, and i didn't think you could do it. Very very nice. Wow.. yes.. Yes Yes Yes Yes.....

sorry, just looks really good... :P

I still ike their currents better though, but, since it seems the groundswell is too big to ignore in AZ, this would be a very acceptable compromise.

sB9ijEj.png

I love the look, but I think a metallic red helmet with a white mask (such as Oklahoma's...beautiful!) and your logo would be sick!  I think that would set it off just perfect.  Silver with red might be cool too, but I just hate white helmets.  They, too, look "rec league," as every helmet you buy at Sports Authority comes molded in white.

My nickel minus three pennies.

my $.02 is grey jerseys are not a good idea, they look too much like white, with baseball as the exception, cause you know who is batting and playing the field.  Field sports ( football, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc) I think white and grey are too similar.  I saw the Pats grey ones and it barely was visible to the tv viewer that it was silver/grey.  

So if you are have grey and are playing a team not wearing white then fine, but grey vs. white= bad idea.  Then the whole theory of a 3rd just to make money comes into play.. If it was a totally different 3rd color like Blue, Yellow, whatever then yea, ok..

but that is me...

Beautiful primary and secondary logos. Fresh and energetic. The uniforms are still simplistic. I like both concepts (navy ad gray/silver). A very original overhaul. No complaints or nitpicks at all about the design. Very tight concepts and a great folio piece.  :D

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't like to see this logo or logotype treatment in the NFL for some of the same reasons other's have posted already. I understand your reasons for the overhaul and applaud your efforts. You have accomplished your goal.

I just don't like this trend of NFL logos being overhauled with this "cyber-futuristic" look, ie., the Broncos and Falcons. The Seahawks upgrade was a nice transition and I'd probably like to see that happen here with the Cardinals since they have been entrenched in the league for so long albeit not in AZ. I think the Broncos and Falcons look is going to look very dated instead of traditional in a few years. Your unis would look great with a slightly updated version of the current logo and maybe a color scheme tweak.

Wonderful work. Admire your concepts and your ideas.

I like the secondary logo allot.

However I think you shoudl change the helmet could they need a complete change and keeping a white helmet is not a good idea.

Another color shoudl be used.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Nitro...

In attempting to scale back the use of Gold in your original uniform treatments, you seem to have "thrown the baby out with the bathwater".

One of the things that I love about your Arizona Cardinals identity package is the logo treatment that references the Arizona state flag. However, IMHO, if you remove every trace of Gold from the uniform designs... well, then the flag-inspired logo seems out of place. If you feel you must, then downplay Gold in the uniforms without removing it entirely.

As for the uniform treatment that features Gray as a significant color, I honestly can't say that I like it as well as a Cardinal Red, Blue, White and Gold treatment. The Gray does nothing for me.

Brian in Boston

Here is an updated concept without the navy. It's strictly red, white and gray:

Arizona Cardinals (Red, White and Gray version)

See what you think of that. I think it's an improvement in some areas. I think it begins to look like someone else, but I won't say who yet to see if any of you see the same thing.

best concept ive seen on these boards. periode.

Archived