Possible 2008 Twins Sleeve Patch?

BallWonk

Minnesota turns 150 next year. Of course there's an official logo:

Sesqui_logo.jpg

The Twins probably ought to wear a patch commemorating the event -- I mean, if the '65 pennant gets a patch -- but I'm not impressed with the modular usability of the official Sesquicentennial logo. I don't see that logo working on license plates, balloons, baseball uniform sleeves, or basically any application other than websites and stationery.

On the plus side, this logo does capture the original spirit of Minnesota statehood: in late-1850s Minnesota, establishment Democrats and populist Republicans differed so acrimoniously about such fundamental issues as whether slavery ought to be extended into the territories and even free states that Democrats and Republicans at the state constitutional convention refused even to meet in the same room. When the state constitution was agreed to by a couple of the less insane delegates meeting in private, Republicans and Democrats both refused to sign an official copy that the other party had already signed first. So each caucus signed a separate copy, one on blue paper, one on pink, and the state submitted both to Congress for approval. So I dig the divided blue/red banner image. It's just way too horizontal for many uses.

Anyway, the Sesquicentennial Statehood Day is Sunday, May 11, 2008. It'll be interesting to see if the Twins adopt a sleeve patch, or even just schedule an afternoon game with festivities.

I'd love to see a revision of the two-guys logo, with a player dressed in the 19th century style shaking hands with a player in the current Twins uniform.

Has anyone heard rumblings of consideration of any Sesquicentennial celebration from the Twins?

20082614447.png

the cubs did the same thing for Illinois's 150 birthday.

So did the Brewers, both for Milwaukee's Sesquicentennial in 1996 and Wisconsin's Sesquicentennial in 1998.

QPR%20Sig.png

I think the Padres might have even had a San Diego patch in 1969, but I have never been able to prove it with a photo. If so, then this sort of thing has been around for a while. I like it, it ties you into the local community, always good for a sports team to do.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I don't know if this is entirely relevant, but I didn't want to start a new topic. What sleeve patch do the Twins currently have? I noticed something on their right sleeves during the Brewers games the past three days but I haven't been able to find any good photos without registering for a fantasy baseball team on Yahoo. Does anyone know what the sleeve patch is?

I don't know if this is entirely relevant, but I didn't want to start a new topic. What sleeve patch do the Twins currently have? I noticed something on their right sleeves during the Brewers games the past three days but I haven't been able to find any good photos without registering for a fantasy baseball team on Yahoo. Does anyone know what the sleeve patch is?

They are currently wearing a patch to honor their former radio announcer Herb Carneal, who passed away before this season.

And here is a good picture of it.

capt.808a809d576e4586a31d78f2967c2dea.twins_brewers_baseball_wimg103.jpg

I want to get one of those Herb patches for a Twins jersey, but it seems that memorial patches are always the hardest to find. DomePlus has what seems to be a very good reproduction, but the language ("very similar") makes me wonder.

20082614447.png

In 1930 both the Red Sox and the Braves wore a pilgrim hat logo to celebrate Boston's 300th anniversary. I couldn't find a picture but this might be it:

Logo

You know I have a website here :P

Boston 300 patch:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=wi8e9q4mngylsdkfp1d6

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I didn't even know Minnesota was celebrating its 150th, and I live right next door. It was obviously a low-key celebration.

We had a blast when North Dakota turned 100 years old, in 1989. The statehood date is Nov. 2, but we celebrated on the Fourth of July with the Party on the Prairie at the state capitol grounds in Bismarck. They estimated 120,000 people showed up, and the state has 650,000 people.

I didn't even know Minnesota was celebrating its 150th, and I live right next door. It was obviously a low-key celebration.

We had a blast when North Dakota turned 100 years old, in 1989. The statehood date is Nov. 2, but we celebrated on the Fourth of July with the Party on the Prairie at the state capitol grounds in Bismarck. They estimated 120,000 people showed up, and the state has 650,000 people.

To be fair, Minnesota's shindig isn't until next year, so it makes sense North Dakota isn't exactly a-buzz over the neighboring festivities just yet.

And while each state joins the union on a different date -- May 11 for Minnesota -- the new star isn't officially added to the flag until the following July 4. So that's probably the best time to party.

20082614447.png

Archived