Emerald City FC

Pharos04

ok so after a long stint of not having any access to a computer for about 4-5 months or so I've finally been able to get back to one temporarily/permanently. After reading about someone wanting to try a Seattle concept for MLS my mind started working and came up with something like this. I wanted to incorporate the city's nickname, the "Emerald City", hense the emerald shape and color of the crest. The Space Needle is a symbol of Seattle so I wanted to use that. I'm sure there are more things that can be added to help but I can't think of anything right now. Perhaps Mount Rainier behind the Space Needle. Anyways, onto my concept. C&C as always.

EmeraldCityFCcrest.png

I understand the emerald on as the "base" of the logo, but it's just not a very good one. It just doesn't feel like you took any time to work on it, like you just took a few things and slapped them together and called it a concept. And everything is very bitmapped. Take your time, use some creative effort and who knows how it'll come out then. As a rough sketch, this has some long-term potential, and I stress long-term. Don't rush through it just to post a concept. Wait until it's ready.

- Too much detail on the edges of the emerald. And it would require 3 shades of green ink or thread to accomplish that. Simple=better for a logo.

- The wordmark should be a little bigger.

- The ribbon stretches out a little too far on the sides of the main shape.

- Emerald City is cute and all, but Seattle should be used. You can splash Emerald City somewhere smaller on the logo.

- The green on blue wordmark doesn't have enough color distinction to be readable from afar. Use white words or ribbon.

Some positive comments:

- The emerald is a unique shape for a logo, fits in well for a soccer crest and obviously ties perfectly to Seattle. (This is why I don't think it's necessary to use the name Emerald City, it's overkill. But that's just MO.)

- The space needle the way you have it is excellent (other than sharpening the picture.)

- The green and blue colors are great for Seattle -- showing some continuity for the city's teams but slightly different.

ok. I changed the name to Seattle F.C. , cleaned up the needle a LOT. and shrunk the workmark banner to conform with the overall Emerald Shape. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Let me know what you all think

SeattleFCCrest.png

Looks good. The biggest potential improvement that I can see left is in the wordmark. One, the font you used is very plain, and two, this isn't easy to do but since the ribbon is curved, the wordmark should conform to the same curve. I see you tried a little bit, but if you want to spend more time on it that is where I'd concentrate.

Meh. There is a ton of potential here, but you haven't realized it yet.

1. Emerald City FC > Seattle FC every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Go back to your original name, which is a full-fledged winner.

2. The green needs to be less olive. A lot of the women in my family have May birthdays, so there are plenty of emeralds to go around. Your color isn't quite right. See if you can find an emerald online, a good high-res picture, and use that as your model.

3. No emerald I have ever seen is cut with facets that resemble what you did on your logo. Two or small very small bevels with a giant table across the top of the stone would look very strange. And without any facets showing through a translucent stone, it leads one to assume that the stone has no facets beneath the table, which would also be very strange. This is more like a brick with undersized beveled edges. It simply doesn't have the look of a gemstone. Making the bevels all the same color isn't helping, either.

4. The banner looks odd just cutting off at the same border as the stone. If the banner is meant to overlie the stone, its left and right edges likely don't match up with the stone's. There ought to be folds of the banner draped off to the sides.

5. The overall orientation of the design is off for me. I know you had to accommodate the Space Needle's contours, but there's a lot of empty space. Aside from the needle and a banner cutting across the stone, perpendicular to the long axis of the stone, there's nothing but empty green.

I love the idea, I REALLY love the name. But this needs some major work.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

ok, back with an update. I shrunk the size of the emerald and made it a much lighter shade. To me it resembles much more of an emerald now. Also i adjusted the banner to make it curl a lot better than I was trying to. I changed it back to Emerald City F.C. but I do have a Seattle F.C. on standby if it doesn't look right. As for the biggest change, I added two Blue Herons which are the official bird of Seattle. Makes it look a bit more like a Crest now. Anyways, C&C on the newer design please.

EmeraldCityFCCrest2.png

• 2 weeks later...

well since no one commented on my final crest design, I'm just going to go ahead and use it as the logo. I came up with 4 kits to go along with. Unfortunately I cannot use the templates I'd like since I can't seem to figure out layering and coloring and vectoring or any of that stuff. So here they are in their blandness from Paint. Special thanks to beatnik for letting me use his template. C&C Please?

Home:

EmeraldCityFCHomeKit.png

Away:

EmeraldCityFCAwayKit.png

Alternate Home:

EmeraldCityFCAltHomeKit.png

Alternate Away:

EmeraldCityFCAltAwayKit.png

yes I know that on a couple of alternates all i did was reverse some colors. Highly unoriginal I know but the blue and green seem to work so well together I wanted to utilize them to their potentials that I could at this time.

I like the badge, and I like where you're going, but I don't think your quite there yet. I like everything there, except for the emerald, and the banner. Maybe add some shading and highlights to the emerald, and for the banner make it more natural looking. Look at other crests that have banners, and try and make it match those.

As for the uniforms, they're pretty nice, although teams usually only have one alt, if any at all. I would go with the blue alt. I love the home, it's simple, clean, effective, not so much the road. I would say get rid of the gray and use white, and ditch the stripes, make it simple like the home.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

As i've learned today (by fianlly posting my first logo) feedback is really helpful, so here's my 2 cents.

I like the logo, and the colors.

I think the home jersey is awesome and something that has yet to been seen in soccer (or football for those who prefer it) but the road is something that needs abit of work. I do like the alt road you came up with but I think it's be too confusing if you keep your current home sweater.

Play around abit....maybe you want both jerseys with stripes, maybe you don't want the stripes. I think a choice between one or the other is the best idea.

alright my mistake with Boeing. i thought they were still headquartered there but oh well. But I did find one that is based in and around Seattle. And one of my personal favorites I might add. NOA or Nintendo of America. So I've eliminated the stripes since a majority seemed to favor the simplicity and personally I do too. I've added a white alt and also a special alt that some of you might pick up on and enjoy :) C&C and again thanks to beatnik for use of his template

Home:

EmeraldCityFCHomeKit2.png

Away:

EmeraldCityFCAwayKit2-1.png

Alt:

EmeraldCityFCAltAwayKit2.png

Special Alt:

EmeraldCityFC3rdKit.png

White top with blue shorts is really nice. Not sure how I feel about the Nintendo in red versus a grey or black. A great concept though!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I'd almost like to see Mount Rainier in the background on the emerald ... if it doesn't make the logo too busy.

(And, yes, I still hate anything called FC, but I'll keep my comments about the logos only ... for now.)

Archived