Restaurant Menu

MrAsterisk

Hey everyone,

Recently, I've been putting together a lunch menu for a friend of the family's high-end Italian restaurant. It's not quite complete; namely, I have to replace the logo with a higher quality version, but this is about it. Just hoping for some last-minute C&C to see if there are any quick changes I need to make.

It's two sides of one legal sheet (11x17) folded across the width. This image is the outside, with the front side on the right:

Outside.jpg

Here's the inside spread:

Inside.jpg

C&C please, and thank you!

Sorry for using Trajan, everybody.

noooo, no pictures... pictures say Friendly's not high-end...

overall, I think it looks sharp... my only beef is the size of the "dietary restrictions" text at the bottom... looks awfully big to me...

and in line with the no pictures, do you really need to have the pepsi logos on there? makes it look like a pizzeria with those...

Thanks for the feedback, you two.

Yes, the "dietary restrictions" is a little large. I'll shrink it. As for the soda logos, I thought that might look a little out of place. I think I will just change them to one-color wordmarks in black (which is probably against every style guide Pepsi Cola has ever released, but oh well).

The logo is one of the things I need to tweak. I didn't obtain a high-quality version from the restaurant until today, so I just used one ripped from their website as a placeholder.

Trajan doesn't bother me. Its use with Kabel does, however.

Maybe you should switch to frutiger or univers for all the descriptions, I think it would look a little classier.

I don't like the pixellated logo at the top either.

Aside from that, it's a very clean design that works well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

jpslapshot22 -- Although I very much appreciate your suggestions, it's a little to late for me to change the font. The logo was going to be and is now changed.

beatnik -- By all means, please tell me what is inaccurate. Of course, I'm not going to change any of the meals offered, but if there are some linguistic problems, missing accents, or the like, please let me know.

For now, here are some revisions. I added another spot of text on the bottom as per the owner's request, and the other changes include swapping out the logo for a higher-res version, and changing the soda logos.

MenuInside.jpg

MenuOutside.jpg

Do they still make slice?

JW

But the design looks nice. Good job. You fixed my first complaint [the logo] now it looks good.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The menu looks terrific. However, when I hear "The Great Impasta," I don't think "high-end." But that's not your fault.

I'd also ditch the soda logos. Someone else said it looks like a pizza place, and I agree. I think just "soda" would do. And if it's high-end, people wouldn't order soda. So there you are.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Actually, I think the soda logos look fine as they are. It would look less high-end with the full color brand logos, and by making them all the same color as the text, they fit in more seemelessly.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well, I wouldn't call it "high-end." I guess maybe it's high-end for Champaign-Urbana. The food's pretty decent, but I remember not being overwhelmed. Then again, I only went there a couple times in my four years. It's not exactly close to campus.

I don't know when you went, but it's changed quite a bit since it's moved to its new location (just next to the old one). Now it is fairly upscale. I suppose you can judge for yourself from the prices. To be honest, I've never been particularly overwhelmed by the food there either, but the owner makes wonderful lamb chops whenever we're at his home for dinner.

If I may chime in with my usual nonsense that no one cares about.

In the tea section, you use the term "including" before listing some choices. The "including" implies that the list that follows is not complete and, therefore, makes the phrase "among others" redundant.

Under the Crab Cake Po' Boy (and others), mayonnaise should have 2 n's not 2 s's.

Under the Italian Beef (and others), sauteed should be spelled with two e's.

Under the Caesar Salad, croutons should have another o before the u.

The way it is currently laid out, it seems that the free refills of soda are $1.95. Perhaps "includes free refills" might be better?

Fettuccine should have 2 c's.

On a purely sensory note, how does grapefruit juice fit into Italian food? Seems like an odd choice unless there is a bar of vodka back there that isn't noted on the menu.

Glad to help you out:

- Caffè Latte

- Fettuccine Alfredo

- Papà Piero's Chicken in Cream Sauce ("Papa" means Pope in Italian!!!)

- The Great Impastanoff?! Is it Russian???

- Lasagne with Marinara and Meat

- Spaghetti alla Carbonara are mainly made with an egg cream too. Hardly we'll eat just parmigiano and bacon on top of the pasta. It's a very poor meal for us.

- Bacon Chicken alla Diavola

- About Chicken Parmesan: no, we're NOT French!!! You'll never see somebody eat chicken or steak and pasta together, at all.

- What exactly mean "Impasta"?

This Italian restaurant is very, uhm, how can I say...Americanized.

The seafood lasagna is going to have a description, and I will change most of the spelling errors. Caffe` Latte always had the accent, and I can change most of the others. Again, I stress that it's not my position to wholly alter the restaurant's menu offerings; my job is to write them down.

About the "including" thing: I think that "among others" is an acceptable, and perhaps even necessary, clarification. I don't think "including" can always be taken to mean that the list is not exhaustive, hence the very common phrase "including but not limited to".

Glad to help you out:

- Caffè Latte

- Fettuccine Alfredo

- Papà Piero's Chicken in Cream Sauce ("Papa" means Pope in Italian!!!)

- The Great Impastanoff?! Is it Russian???

- Lasagne with Marinara and Meat

- Spaghetti alla Carbonara are mainly made with an egg cream too. Hardly we'll eat just parmigiano and bacon on top of the pasta. It's a very poor meal for us.

- Bacon Chicken alla Diavola

- About Chicken Parmesan: no, we're NOT French!!! You'll never see somebody eat chicken or steak and pasta together, at all.

- What exactly mean "Impasta"?

This Italian restaurant is very, uhm, how can I say...Americanized.

"Impasta" is a play on "imposter." The Great Imposter. The Great Impasta.

Archived