uniforms you dislike

arr1023

Outside of the black alternate, the Ottawa Senators have never had a good jersey. The red 'toga' jersey is the worst in the NHL, imo. Add in the ridiculous flat-face logo and the marginally better cartoony one and you've got one stinker of a team identity.

Flyers should be orange.

In the NHL, the Lions black jersey doesn't do anything for me. Overall, it looks nice but feels incredibly tacked on to the identity.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB:

Devil Rays - Its just boring.

Pirates red alt. - No red for the Pirates!

Marlins - too much black. I know teal was hated back in the day, but it needs a bit more teal to offset all that black.

NBA

Sixers: Although the red's pictured with the draftees looks good.

Wizards: the alt is terrible.

Bobcats: I dislike the font and to be honest, I still haven't accepted "Bobcats". They should still be the Hornets. The colors don't seem to do it for me.

NHL

Stars: I have never like the huge "star" on the front.

Thrashers: Just terrible all the way around.

Canucks: thar she blows! Orca go home. Another team in need of a solid identity.

NFL

Bills: for all the same reasons as everybody else.

Bengals: too busy. too much going on.

Jaguars: See my Marlins comment above. Get some more teal in the road uni. Teal numbers, not black.

Vikings: They had nice uni's. The new purple seems "less" purple than before.

Lions: my hometown team. The black wasn't needed. Honolulu blue and silver are fine. Bring back the 80s Billy Sims era with silver numbers! ll-sims.jpg

I HATE when someone claims a uniform is untouchable. No uniform is untouchable. Not one. Fans adapt and accept change, especially when combined with winning.

A claim to an untouchable uniform = person against change in life.

Spoken like someone who grew up in this era where uniform changes are called everything but what they are ... a marketing ploy. That's not a knock on you personally. It's just a sign of the times. Tradition is meaningless in a lot of circles these days. Again I am not making a judgement it's just how it is.

Call it what you want "update", "modernization", "establishing a new era" or any other rationalization you care to come up with but these changes have never been about anything other than separating us from the cash in our wallets. There's not a thing wrong with that but stop treating it like it's something more than what it is. If hot pink jerseys sold well, by next season we'd have half the teams in sports wearing them calling the change an update or modernization.

All these changes are simply fashion and good marketing. The bulk of our preferences are formed between the time we are 12 and 25. It's precisely why guys my age wish these teams would stick with the stuff they wore when we were kids. And it's why guys half my age will someday long for the days when the Bengals and Bills wore those cool uniforms from the early 2000's.

Simply stated, in 15 years today's "update" will be the very uniform you are wishing the team would have stuck with when it's your turn to be the old guy longing for tradition over fashion.

Just my humble opinion.

On topic...I hate all the template jerseys and any football uniform with piping or a bib. (See what I mean about that 12-25 thing?)

BB52Big.jpg

MLB

Arizona Diamondbacks - Too much like the Houston Astros

Toronto Blue Jays - Never liked it since the introduced the new logo

Braves' red alts - Imma recieve some heat for this, buy I like the Pirates red alts more then theirs

NBA

Nets Navy Blue Roads- I never liked them since they introduced the grey alts and still dont with the red alts

Wizards Gold/Black Alts - They look hideous to me

Kings Gold Alts - See what they NBA has come to with the no more black jerseys rule

NFL

Giants White Road - I like the Road set they had before the ones now

Buffalo Bills - The complete set home and road never really worked for me

Bengals Orange Alts - They ok, but they could do without

Not doing the NHL cause there are more jersey changes to come.

Any uniform with advertising on it. Football/soccer, the former NFL Europa, Euro basketball, etc. It's all the sign of the apocalypse to me.

One of the reasons why I probably won't ever address soccer kits on the SSUR is that they look more like billboards than uniforms to me.

I'm also somewhat appalled as to how accepting most fans are to this.

MLB

- Rockies sleeveless black jersey (worst baseball jersey in the MLB right now IMO)

- Pirates red vest

- Angels red alts (too much red)

- Any non-black Mets uniform with black cap/socks (they should wear blue caps all the time, even on the road, unless wearing black alts)

- Blue Jays set

Jerseys that get bashed unfairly:

- Devil Rays (I love green, and these are pretty solid)

- D-Backs new set (like the colors much better, and the sets seem to match nicely)

NHL

- Predators set (all of them, but especially the third)

- Islanders 3rd jersey

- Sabres set (logo AND design)

- Kings set

- Atlanta home jersey (I think they look cool)

- Sharks set (I like the color scheme and jersey design)

NBA

- Kings alt (worst jerseys in basketball)

- Celtics "black letters" alt (completely unnecessary, plus their gold St Patty's day jerseys are SO much nicer as an alt)

- Hornets yellow jerseys

- Wizards alt (I love em. They're fantastic, but I can see why people might not like them)

NFL

- Bills set (minus the uber-cool throwback)

- Vikings set (worst in the NFL)

- Bengals set

- Seahawks monochrome

- Giants red alts (god why won't they get rid of these)

- Lions black alts (hello marketing ploy)

- Broncos set

- Giants white jerseys (ok, so they don't have any blue in them, I still think it matches fairly well when you have red in the helmet and red socks. Plus I dig the sleeve stripes).

Any uniform with advertising on it. Football/soccer, the former NFL Europa, Euro basketball, etc. It's all the sign of the apocalypse to me.

One of the reasons why I probably won't ever address soccer kits on the SSUR is that they look more like billboards than uniforms to me.

I agree with everything you've just said.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I agree completely, as long as we're talking about teams that are organized at a corporate level like teams are in the four top North American leagues. Independent, private ownership makes selling ad space on the jerseys an insult to the fans. But some European football teams are organized as joint-stock corporations with public trading of ownership shares (even though most such teams have individual majority owners). For teams organized that way, I don't mind them selling advertising. I trust the executives of a public, joint-stock company with open books to make the decision that fielding the best possible team in the best possible stadium requires selling ads on the team uniform. Might very well be the best thing for the team. But I just cannot trust the owners of a private company with closed books to make such a decision, since there will always be an inherent conflict of interest between the owner's bottom line and any extra outlay on behalf of the team or the fans.

However, in all cases I hate, hate, hate that the sponsor's ads are put on the replica jerseys sold to fans, and that fans accept this. If Emirates Air wants to advertise on my chest, it can make me a cash offer. But I will not pay money to wear someone else's advertisement. When I lived in Amsterdam, I told the folks at the Ajax team store that I'd be willing to pay MORE for a jersey without the ad on it (ABN-Amro, I think), but such a product could not be offered. So I spent zero euros on Ajax merchandise.

20082614447.png

I agree completely, as long as we're talking about teams that are organized at a corporate level like teams are in the four top North American leagues...

Interesting take. Thanks for that.

You lived in Amsterdam? I'll bet you've got some stories to tell...

^_^

Ewwww....this is fun. I have a bunch as well. Here are mine.

NBA

Atlanta Hawks-Too bland and I am not a fan of recolorization.

Utah Jazz-Not a fan of the Home and Road because of the blandness, I love the Secondary though.

Sacramento Kings-Give it up go for a complete rehaul. The overall design on all jerseys are horrible.

New Jersey Nets-I hate the red jerseys.

Washington Wizards-Too 90ish. Go Red, White, and Blue.

NHL

Tampa Bay Lightning-I hate the font...always hated it.

Anaheim Ducks-It just seems that they could have done better on the new design.

Philadelphia Flyers-I hate the black jerseys....bring back orange!

Nashville Predators-Never a fan of the Sabertooth logo....especially on the mustards.

NFL

Oakland Raiders-I wouldn't change the uniforms, I just hate em.

Atlanta Falcons-Simplify. That's all they have to do. I hate the noise.

Miami Dolphins-I hate the numbers, I am glad the shadow will be gone, but back to solid block numbers would be great!

MLB

Toronto Blue Jays-Everything bugs me....the font, numbers, and colors.

Texas Rangers-I hate the blue.

Arizona Diamondbacks-The new font is horrible.

San Diego Padres-The uniforms and logo just don't say "baseball" at all to me.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I agree completely, as long as we're talking about teams that are organized at a corporate level like teams are in the four top North American leagues...

Interesting take. Thanks for that.

You lived in Amsterdam? I'll bet you've got some stories to tell...

^_^

As they say in Vegas, "Wat in de verblijven van Amsterdam in Amsterdam gebeurt."

(And apologies to any Dutch speakers for my piss-poor attempt at Nederlands here. In two years in the country I achieved about a three-year-old's proficiency, while actual Dutch three-year-olds often speak better English than American middle schoolers. Point is that when I couldn't figure out what word to use, the answer always seemed to be "verblijf," so that's what I've used above.)

20082614447.png

MLB:

All of them. All baseball uniforms look the same to me. Boring and uninspiring. Go back to the 1970's pullover style or adopt some of the similar styles the Japanese league and some college teams like Mississippi State use

NFL:

Tampa Bay Bucs - Their old ones were really good. Their current ones look like the bastard lovechild of the Raiders and 49ers

New England Patriots - Never liked the flying Elvis. Pat the Patriot ruled.

Denver Broncos - the Robocop look is already dated. they need something new

NHL:

Anaheim Ducks - Worst Uniforms in all pro sports. A WORDMARK IS NOT A HOCKEY LOGO ANAHEIM!!! Save that crap for baseball

Atlanta Thrashers - could they cram any more colors into that thing. And that "ATLANTA" and that stripe running down only one of the sleeves is absolutely hideous

Nashville Predators - way too much going on there

NBA:

Sacramento Kings - That script is absolutely horrible

Washington Wizards - looks like something from the mid-90's

New Orleans Hornets - see Washington Wizards

I HATE when someone claims a uniform is untouchable. No uniform is untouchable. Not one. Fans adapt and accept change, especially when combined with winning.

Wrong.

Try the:

New York Yankees

Chicago Blackhawks

Boston Celtics

Chicago Bears

MLB

Boston Red Sox - The uniforms are fine. I just hate the way "Manny being Manny" disrespects the game by the way he wears the uniform. I wish that he would be traded to the Yankees so Steinbrenner would kick him in the shins and make him wear the uniform right.

Colorado Rockies - The black vest and black undershirt, what were they thinking?

Toronto Blue Jays - What happened to the BLUE Jays? The black and the fonts are a nightmare.

San Diego Padres - The color of the road uniforms is bad, just bad.

NFL

Baltimore Ravens - Hate the number font. Hate the purple. Hate the shield on the sleeves. Hate Ray Lewis in general.

Detroit Lions - The black needs to go.

Seattle Seahawks - What colors are those anyway?

NHL

Ottawa Senators - The face-looking-at-you crest is just scary.

Nashville Predators - The mustard jerseys, including the Sabertooth crest are just hideous.

Atlanta Thrashers - The city name on that stripe running down only one of the sleeves is absolutely hideous

NBA

Who cares.

Wrong.

Try the:

New York Yankees

Chicago Blackhawks

Boston Celtics

Chicago Bears

[

Yankees- There road uniforms can definately be changed. Look at what the Dodgers did.

Blackhawks- Very small updates can be done, these aren't untouchable.

Celtics- I could see the Celtics updating. They have the alt with black lettering and recently added their logo to the back of the jersey.

Bears- Recently added an orange alt as well as occasionally wearing navy pants at home. These are not untouchable.

I don't think that any uniform is untouchable. Any team can update their look, no uniform is untouchable.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Spoken like someone who grew up in this era where uniform changes are called everything but what they are ... a marketing ploy. That's not a knock on you personally. It's just a sign of the times. Tradition is meaningless in a lot of circles these days. Again I am not making a judgement it's just how it is.

Call it what you want "update", "modernization", "establishing a new era" or any other rationalization you care to come up with but these changes have never been about anything other than separating us from the cash in our wallets. There's not a thing wrong with that but stop treating it like it's something more than what it is. If hot pink jerseys sold well, by next season we'd have half the teams in sports wearing them calling the change an update or modernization.

All these changes are simply fashion and good marketing. The bulk of our preferences are formed between the time we are 12 and 25. It's precisely why guys my age wish these teams would stick with the stuff they wore when we were kids. And it's why guys half my age will someday long for the days when the Bengals and Bills wore those cool uniforms from the early 2000's.

Simply stated, in 15 years today's "update" will be the very uniform you are wishing the team would have stuck with when it's your turn to be the old guy longing for tradition over fashion.

Just my humble opinion.

On topic...I hate all the template jerseys and any football uniform with piping or a bib. (See what I mean about that 12-25 thing?)

I think the problem is wallowing in nostalgia. Just because something has been around forever doesn't make it good nor should it necessarily be retained. I favor good design. I favor keeping up with times. This does not necessarily mean that anything new should be adopted. It still needs to look good. The only reason uniforms didn't change as much as they do now is due to limited production capabilities. It's cute that people want to keep what they remembered as a child. The problem is you are not the future of the sport -- your kids are. Tradition does play a role, but it should not be the dominating factor in uniform design.

Now back to my original statement. The Cleveland Browns are not untouchable. I believe that we just haven't stumbled across the right design yet. Same goes for the Packers, Yankees, Raiders, Bears, Red Sox, etc. The Bills current uniforms are awful, but that doesn't mean we should go back to lame designs from the past. I favor good design in sports identity, and I don't get so bogged down in tradition as to cloud my decision as to what's good or bad. I'm a Packer fan, and there is no way I would call them untouchable. Funny thing is most uniforms make changes all the time. This board would suck otherwise if it weren't the case.

Oh, and BTW, I'm only five years younger than you. I just keep my fanaticism in check when it comes to sports branding.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007 - 18:58:36)

Wrong.

Try the:

New York Yankees

Chicago Blackhawks

Boston Celtics

Chicago Bears

[

Yankees- There road uniforms can definately be changed. Look at what the Dodgers did.

Blackhawks- Very small updates can be done, these aren't untouchable.

Celtics- I could see the Celtics updating. They have the alt with black lettering and recently added their logo to the back of the jersey.

Bears- Recently added an orange alt as well as occasionally wearing navy pants at home. These are not untouchable.

I don't think that any uniform is untouchable. Any team can update their look, no uniform is untouchable.

I have a completely unfounded feeling that the Celtics will incorporate black into their identity more very soon.

Exactly.

There ya go. I fixed it for ya, Francis.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived