Toronto Blue Jays Concept

Audiodrama

Another update, this time with the white ring around the red...C&C!

jaysfull4.jpg

This looks sweet, but the black (or navy) looks a little thrown in there and out of place because it is on the Jay and nowhere else. Maybe add a black/navy outline around the outter most part, the blue ring in which the lettering is in. Or, although I like the way they look without it, a black/navy outline around the letters. I don't really know. The whole thing looks fantastic, but it's just the minimal, yet in a pretty noticeable place, amount of black/navy that still kinda gives it an awkwardness. Though I'm confident you'll figure something out and make it look phenominal. Great Work, my friend.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great. Very nice update, blending the old with the new. The wordmark is excellent.

Few suggestions though, some are just my opinion.

1) Center the wordmarks around the circle. The 'S' in JAYS is a good example of how it's not even with the top and bottom borders.

2) I'd like to see what the bird would look like with a small tuft on the top of his head going upwards, similar to the old Blue Jay logo. It's very flat now, which I know is exactly like the current logo, but I think that is because they wanted to make it even with the word "Jays" in the logo, which is a problem you don't have.

3) I think there are too many colors (5). Royal blue, light blue, gray, red, and black. Are you intending either or both of the red and black to be in the uniforms, or just in the logo? If it's just in the logo then that is ok. (I know this is just a concept, but I'm assuming as though it would actually be used.) I think 3 colors works best, and 4 at the max. I don't know which colors you could drop, because I like the light blue, and I think blue and gray looks sharp if in the right proportions, and the red is necessary because of the maple leaf and the ball. Maybe rework the outline somehow to lose the black?

4) The red ball part reminds me of the Yankees logo too much, maybe because of the thickness of the outline.

Quick update...

Making some real progress on the uniform set...not quite ready to unveil the first drafts yet, but definite possibility tomorrow. They're a real obvious homage to the classic uni's of Blue Jay lore...more C&C on this logo until then though! Thanks for all responses so far! :)

Welcome back Unwind23! Your designs are among my favorite here and its good to see a new one. The Blue Jays are one of the most common concepts done on this board but I have honestly yet to see a really good one. I'm not totally taken with this attempt either: I feel the current bird doesn't mesh well with the old uniforms you are trying to emulate. Still, I look forward to your uniforms, I'm sure they will be good. I would like to see either the whole approach to the Jays done from scratch or a modernization of the 1992 uniforms and logo (Too bad I can't put my designs where my mouth is). I feel trying to combine this new look with the old one is a noble effort, but one that ultimately won't work. The styles clash too much.

I like it... I'm wondering how it would look if all the red was black? It could ruin it, I don't know -- basically I'm thinking out loud and hoping you'll try it :)

The first two versions of this concept had something close to what you're referring to Chris...I'm trying to incorporate another instance of black in here somewhere to offset the awkwardness of the black surrounding the Jay's head anyway though...might end up getting rid of black altogether in the end. I'm gonna post another variation tomorrow and see what happens.

More C&C welcomed from everyone!

jaysfull4.jpg

I think the stitching should be tilted to the left a bit more to match up with the lettering.

Or maybe to the right, to contrast...

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

jaysfull4.jpg

This is fantastic. At least as good as anything the Blue Jays have actually worn. Don't worry about the black being "only on the Blue Jay" -- that's perfectly appropriate, since Blue Jays do in fact have black on them and baseballs do not.

My only suggestions would be:

1. Stitching. Needs to be tilted, either to match the orientation of the lettering, or slightly the other way for more dynamic contrast.

2. Lettering. The blue lines inside the letters are too faint. I fear that this would not scale down very well, and baseball teams need scalable logos for things like polo shirt embroidering or newspaper/TV graphics. This could be solved either by increasing the size of the blue lines, or by darkening them to match the blue of the outer ring. Either way, scale the logo down to 1 inch square and see if you can still see the blue line clearly and read the text. If not, keep working at it until you do achieve that degree of scalability.

20082614447.png

jaysfull4.jpg

This is fantastic. At least as good as anything the Blue Jays have actually worn. Don't worry about the black being "only on the Blue Jay" -- that's perfectly appropriate, since Blue Jays do in fact have black on them and baseballs do not.

My only suggestions would be:

1. Stitching. Needs to be tilted, either to match the orientation of the lettering, or slightly the other way for more dynamic contrast.

Ha ha. That's exactly what I said!

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Sorry I didn't have time to post an update today guys; I was really swamped at work. I do have the basic uniforms for both home and road basically done though, so when I get a chance I'll definitely post them for you guys to view and critique.

Thanks very much for the overwhelming response thus far, all of your comments are helping me improve this concept immensely. Please keep 'em comin!!

Archived