a pink and purple concept

leggman01

ok...my daughter asked me to draw a pink & purple logo for her...at first i couldn't think of anything that really used pink and purple, then i got it...a flamingo - since i've been stuck on drawing birds lately (and you'll see a lot of resemblence to the eagle i posted about a week ago) it was a natural fit - she hasn't seen it yet, but i think she'll like it :)

flamingope9.png

jldesigns404eo.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good looking logo, but it doesn't quite say "flamingo" just yet. Okay, pink bird with long bendy neck probably won't get mistaken for anything else, but the beak is bothering me. Flamingos have one of the strangest beaks of any bird in the world. Their jaw is actually inverted, so the top part moves when they eat, and it's smaller than the bottom part. It's also has a very distinct hooked shape to it.

flamingo_kopf_kl.jpg

Nothing wrong with the colours.

Who determined pink & purple were girlish or gay anyway? Some guy that figured he'd call black and white colours? Genius!....

I like the logo, you might want to define the eyes a little, so it doesn't look like it's apart of the outline.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

a women basketball or hockey team?

Maybe the Miami Flamingo of the WNBA...

Just noticed your new Avatar: CLASSIC! I used to have a badge with that exact picture - RIP, Ti-Poil... PQ hasn't had a good leader since him....

And to the Topic at hand:

Loving that Falmingo... Colours work well, maybe a slight tweak on the eye and beak as suggested...

If it was for a soccer team, you may want to look at Pepto Bismol as a sponsor...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

This is an excellent start, and good proof of concept that this color combo -- pink, purple, and yellow -- can look great together.

It would be nice if this bird had a beak that in any way resembled a flamingo's beak.

I would extend the neck vertically just a little more. Right now the overall proportions of the neck and head are in line with a duck; a slightly taller logo overall will reinforce the flamingo-ness of the image.

Also, I would recommend adding a pink feather, in the style of the bird's head, behind the midpoint of the neck, horizontally, to make the letter F. Just to see if it works. The way you've curved the neck and head already make me see a lower-case letter F, so making it more explicit might really cement the visual identity here. Or not, but I think it's worth a try.

20082614447.png

this color combo -- pink, purple, and yellow -- can look great together.

That's wnat I told my buddy when we went to get my Tuxedo for his wedding, but the store was out of Yellow ascots...

:D

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

looks like i've got some work to do...these are all great suggestions, and i'm going to try to incorporate as many as possible tonight - i will definately tweak the beak, as it was the one thing that i was most annoyed with anyway...thanks for the ref picture, jamikel

ballwonk - i actually tried to make this an "f", but didn't know what to use...my first attempt used a wing (in purple) extended on the right side of the neck, but the proportion just didn't look right...your feather suggestion might be right on

jldesigns404eo.png

When I was a senior in high school, the girls in our class banded together and formed a united front to get pink and purple as our class colors. Uggghhhh.

Thank God the school superintendent told us it was traditional for seniors to have the school colors -- blue, white and gold -- as graduation colors. Otherwise, I would have had a pink and purple tassle hanging from the rear-view mirror after I graduated.

I actually tried to make this an "f", but didn't know what to use...my first attempt used a wing (in purple) extended on the right side of the neck, but the proportion just didn't look right...your feather suggestion might be right on

What came to me was something like the feather the Mud Hens use to make the bar in the E on their jerseys:

Hamman,%20Corey%20(web).jpg

20082614447.png

2flamingolu4.png

i'm not sure if i'm there yet...to be honest, i'm not sure that i don't like the first better...i'm gonna sleep on this and take some time away from it, because i've spent 2 hours making just these tweaks...let me know

ballwonk - maybe my execution was just off, but the feather looked VERY forced...so i ditched it

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived