Official MLB Trade Deadline Thread

TBGKon

Well since this is the last weekend before the trade deadline, I assume it's time to have a thread.

To start things off:

- Tampa Bay trades P Seth McClung (AAA Durham) to Milwaukee for RP Grant Balfour (AAA Nashville)

- Tampa Bay trades 2B Jorge Cantu (AAA Durham) and OF Shaun Cumberland (AA Montgomery) to Cincinnati for P Brian Shackelford and P Calvin Medlock (both of AAA Louisville)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tampa Bay trades UT Ty Wigginton to Houston for RP Dan Wheeler.

Honestly, I dont see the Astros keeping Wiggy, but I can see them trading him to another team before the deadline.

Two ex Mets traded for each other

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Atlanta trades Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, and two minor league pitchers to Texas for Mark Teixeira, and Ron Mahay.

Trade is pending until medical records are accepted.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Atlanta trades Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, and two minor league pitchers to Texas for Mark Teixeira, and Ron Mahay.

Very good deal for Texas, Teixeira is a FA after next year, and Salty is an up and coming catcher. I hope Teixeira doesn't like it in Atlanta, and wants to come to his hometown of Baltimore when he is a FA.

saBS.png

Very good deal for Texas, Teixeira is a FA after next year, and Salty is an up and coming catcher. I hope Teixeira doesn't like it in Atlanta, and wants to come to his hometown of Baltimore when he is a FA.

Good trade for both teams. Saltalamacchia is being blocked by McCann, anyway. And a prospect is just that... a prospect. I'd take the proven player, especially one as great as Teixeira any day.

Ya think Baltimore would pay Teixeira? He could demand $20 million easily. But don't worry, if he doesn't stay in Atlanta he'll play plenty of games in Baltimore. :P

IUe6Hvh.png

Good trade for both teams. Saltalamacchia is being blocked by McCann, anyway. And a prospect is just that... a prospect. I'd take the proven player, especially one as great as Teixeira any day.

Ya think Baltimore would pay Teixeira? He could demand $20 million easily. But don't worry, if he doesn't stay in Atlanta he'll play plenty of games in Baltimore. :P

Well Texiera has said he wants to play in Baltimore. That hasn't really happened since Cal. Angelos also has stated he wants him, so he may pony up the cash.

saBS.png

Well Texiera has said he wants to play in Baltimore. That hasn't really happened since Cal. Angelos also has stated he wants him, so he may pony up the cash.

Better them than the Yankees.

I'm a little disappointed that the Red Sox couldn't get something done to try and get Teixeira. If I'm Theo I'd have offered Kevin Youkilis, one of the sox highly touted pitching prospects (Michael Bowden, Justin Masterson, or maybe Lester... but not Clay Buchholz, though, he's untouchable), and Wily Mo Pena... maybe another mid-level prospect too.

IUe6Hvh.png

Good trade for both teams. The Rangers got a nice looking catcher and Atlanta got an All-Star. The Braves just have to make sure to sign Texiera to a long-term contract or else he'll be gone after next year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Mets aquire 2B Luis Castillo from Minnesota for minor leaguers C Drew Butera and OF Dustin Martin.

Coincidentally, I've been tracking two prospects at a Mets forum, and those were the two. Butera plays outstanding defense behind the plate but has only shown brief moments of life standing next to it. He was putting together a good season at High-A St. Lucie before being promoted to AA Binghamton and falling into a slump. Martin doesn't have stand-out tools, but has hit very well in his 1+ seasons of pro ball. He was team MVP last year for Short Season A-Brooklyn and had been having a very respectable year at High-A St. Lucie.

msg-117798227822.jpg

Will Angelos go against his "No Boras" policy?

Boras is also the agent of Baltimore's first round pick of this season: Matt Weiters

I'm a little disappointed that the Red Sox couldn't get something done to try and get Teixeira. If I'm Theo I'd have offered Kevin Youkilis, one of the sox highly touted pitching prospects (Michael Bowden, Justin Masterson, or maybe Lester... but not Clay Buchholz, though, he's untouchable), and Wily Mo Pena... maybe another mid-level prospect too.

That would be an absolutely horrible deal, Youkilis is an OBP machine and sets the plate nicely for the power hitters (although Tito refuses to bat him in the 2-hole). Giving up Lester is also a huge no-no. The Sox truthfully don't need to make a deal, but if they did it would be nice. They're a World Series calibur team as is.

However, the Dye deal is very inticing. Solid defense, needed power, could play over Drew who absolutely sucks. Especially for a useless Wily Mo and Bowden or Masterson. Unfortunetly Theo has some sort of need to hang on to every possible prospect, which sometimes can work and sometimes can backfire tremendously.

That would be an absolutely horrible deal, Youkilis is an OBP machine and sets the plate nicely for the power hitters (although Tito refuses to bat him in the 2-hole). Giving up Lester is also a huge no-no. The Sox truthfully don't need to make a deal, but if they did it would be nice. They're a World Series calibur team as is.

However, the Dye deal is very inticing. Solid defense, needed power, could play over Drew who absolutely sucks. Especially for a useless Wily Mo and Bowden or Masterson. Unfortunetly Theo has some sort of need to hang on to every possible prospect, which sometimes can work and sometimes can backfire tremendously.

Youkilis is regressing to the mean. He's not as good as his first half numbers indicated and with him, we have no protection for Manny. You would take Youkilis over Teixeira? You'd have to be nuts. The guy had 43 HR's and a 144 RBI's two years ago and put up more great numbers. Pena's going to be a good player some day but he needs playing time that he can't get with the Red Sox, and Lester's good, but I'd deal him for Teixiera.

Youkilis - .307*/.403/.476

Teixeira - .297/.397/.524

*And falling rapidly.

Teixeira gets on base at almost the same rate, plus has more power and is just the flat out better player... by far.

Lugo/Crisp

Pedroia

Ortiz

Manny

Teixeira

Drew

Lowell

Varitek

Crisp/Lugo

That's a lineup that would give pitchers nightmares. Drew will start hitting -- either this year or next. And even though he hasn't been hitting, he's still getting on base at a good clip.

Besides, Youkilis doesn't set the plate nicely for Ortiz and Manny because Dustin Pedroia does. And he given how he's played in the two spot, he's not moving anywhere in the lineup.

IUe6Hvh.png

Will Angelos go against his "No Boras" policy?

Boras is also the agent of Baltimore's first round pick of this season: Matt Weiters

It probably will depend if they can sign Weiters, if they can we would be more likley to try go after Texiera. But if they can't sign Weiters, I can't see how we get Tex.

saBS.png

Mets aquire 2B Luis Castillo from Minnesota for minor leaguers C Drew Butera and OF Dustin Martin.

Coincidentally, I've been tracking two prospects at a Mets forum, and those were the two. Butera plays outstanding defense behind the plate but has only shown brief moments of life standing next to it. He was putting together a good season at High-A St. Lucie before being promoted to AA Binghamton and falling into a slump. Martin doesn't have stand-out tools, but has hit very well in his 1+ seasons of pro ball. He was team MVP last year for Short Season A-Brooklyn and had been having a very respectable year at High-A St. Lucie.

From the Minnesota side, it's also worth noting that Drew Butera is the son of Sal Butera, the Twins' back-up catcher during the 1987 championship season. Not that it has anything to do with his baseball skills, it's just interesting for those of us nostalgic for the old days.

The Twins, meanwhile, contend they're not giving up this season. They weren't going to resign Castillo after his contract expired this year, and instead decided to give younger Alexi Casilla a shot a few months early. The Twins are still expected to go after a bat to help their anemic run scoring abilities.

Archived