I met the 1996 Florida Panthers

rmackman

For those of you who don't know, the Florida Panthers did their jersey unveiling during our 1996 Year of the Rat reunion game. It was the 1996 Florida Panthers (minus Radek Dvorak who was out of the country) vs. the Florida Panthers Alumni (made up of various other former Panthers that were fan favorites such as John Jakopin, Valeri Bure (who ended up not being able to play but watched, etc.

After the game we had a VIP reception for those who donated, purchased season tickets, or worked for the team. Here are some photos from the event.

n2009588_41142748_2256.jpg

My father and I with Paul Laus

n2009588_41142753_3152.jpg

With Bill Torrey

n2009588_41142756_4058.jpg

Peter Worrell

n2009588_41142757_4979.jpg

Scott Mellanby

n2009588_41142824_9701.jpg

Gord Murphy

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

n2009588_41142825_646.jpg

Dave Lowry

n2009588_41142826_1563.jpg

Ray Sheppard

n2009588_41142827_2467.jpg

Tom Fitzgerald

n2009588_41142828_3362.jpg

Mike Hough

n2009588_41142832_8699.jpg

John Vanbiesbrouck

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Nice.A bunch of my friends met Brian Skrudland this winter at the World Pond Hockey Championships.

Peter Worrell is a monster.

Yeah he gained a little weight, haha!

spacer.png

Why would they hold an alumni game for a team that was swept in the SCF 11 years ago? That just reeks of lameness to me.

I think it's just the fact of them getting to the Stanley Cup Finals. This team really didn't have any superstars, and quickly turned into a Cup contender.

I'd say they're worth remembering. BTW, great pics BgMack!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Why would they hold an alumni game for a team that was swept in the SCF 11 years ago? That just reeks of lameness to me.

I don't have a problem with that. However, it's interesting to know that the players on that team have learned to appreciate what they've accomplished despite the unhappy ending to their run. Ron Hextall feels the opposite way about being nothing but a conference champion.

Teams without championships have to work with what they have, and finalist teams are always popular.

The season was one of the greatest seasons of any sports team in South Florida. Not only did the team come out of nowhere and make the Finals, but they played in one of the greatest arena atmospheres ever. People who haven't followed the Panthers in 7-8 years still talk about going to games in 1996.

1997 | 2003

It was obviously the high point for the franchise. Why not try to revisit that with a healthy dose of nostalgia?

It's a shame, it won't ever be like that again for the simple fact that they play out in the burbs in a soul-less, antiseptic tank, nothing like the loud, intimate, raucous and tiny Miami Arena.

Archived