College Football USC ranked #1

infrared41

The first college football poll is out. Let the debating begin. Who's too high? Too low? Sleeper picks?

1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481

2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372

3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278

4. Texas 0-0 1,231

5. Michigan (2) 0-0 1,218

6. West Virginia 0-0 1,205

7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114

8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026

9. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,005

10. Ohio State 0-0 919

11. Louisville 0-0 836

12. California 0-0 763

13. Georgia 0-0 604

14. Auburn 0-0 595

15. Tennessee 0-0 583

16. Rutgers 0-0 466

17. UCLA 0-0 454

18. Penn State 0-0 440

19. Nebraska 0-0 388

20. Arkansas 0-0 360

21. Florida State 0-0 301

22. TCU 0-0 233

23. Boise State 0-0 222

24. Hawaii 0-0 214

25. Texas A&M 0-0 209

Too high: Michigan, West Virginia, Ohio State, Wisconsin.

Too low: Virginia Tech, Auburn and Georgia.

Sleepers: UCLA.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The first college football poll is out. Let the debating begin. Who's too high? Too low? Sleeper picks?

1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481

2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372

3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278

4. Texas 0-0 1,231

7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114

8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026

10. Ohio State 0-0 919

11. Louisville 0-0 836

12. California 0-0 763

13. Georgia 0-0 604

14. Auburn 0-0 595

15. Tennessee 0-0 583

16. Rutgers 0-0 466

17. UCLA 0-0 454

18. Penn State 0-0 440

19. Nebraska 0-0 388

20. Arkansas 0-0 360

22. TCU 0-0 233

23. Boise State 0-0 222

24. Hawaii 0-0 214

25. Texas A&M 0-0 209

Too High: Auburn, Arkansas, Florida State

Too Low: Hawaii, Georgia, TCU

Sleepers: Georgia, A&M

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481

2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372

3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278

4. Texas 0-0 1,231

7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114

8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026

10. Ohio State 0-0 919

11. Louisville 0-0 836

12. California 0-0 763

13. Georgia 0-0 604

14. Auburn 0-0 595

15. Tennessee 0-0 583

16. Rutgers 0-0 466

17. UCLA 0-0 454

18. Penn State 0-0 440

19. Nebraska 0-0 388

20. Arkansas 0-0 360

22. TCU 0-0 233

23. Boise State 0-0 222

24. Hawaii 0-0 214

25. Texas A&M 0-0 209

Too high: Michigan, West Virginia, Ohio State, Wisconsin.

Too low: Virginia Tech, Auburn and Georgia.

Sleepers: UCLA.

too high: LSU, Rutgers

too low: Cal, Boise St.

sleeper: OREGON (....naw, I'm not even believing that).

harperdc.gif

Too High: Ohio State, Rutgers, UCLA

Too Low: Auburn, VT, Penn St.

Sleeper: Hawaii. If They run the table, the people who were clamoring for Boise St. to become TEH TRUE NATL CHAMPPZZZSS are going to be doing the same thing come January.

While it's nice to see my alma mater (LSU) picked so high, I'll agree with you that they are ranked too high-- if only because then everyone is gunnin' for you. I'd rather us be in the middel of the pack and sneak up quietly, or even finsh strong and be ranked #3 at the end of the season as we were last year (we wuz robbed by the refs in the Auburn game).

Although LSU lost some key players ( Jamrcus Russell, Dwayne Bowe, LaRon Landry, et als), we have a lot of talent still there. Not enough to be no. 2, however.

It is what it is.

Nebraska strikes me as being a little low at #19. (Maybe they anticipate losses vs. USC and the Big XII South, though). They'll win the North division just fine, though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As a UM alum, but was never a fan, they are ranked for disappointment as usual. LLLoyd Carr is one of the worst game day coaches who still has a job. Sadly, Les Miles will get the job in a year or two since he is the hotest coach who has Michigan connections. Les has had nice teams with OKState, but his LSU teams were damn strong and tanked that game @ Florida. I was there and the fumble at the goalline was horrible. He. like most UM coaches cannot make halftime adjustments. As a UM alum, I'd take the once failed Cam Cameron (Indiana) over Les Miles. Personally, the Big Ten team to look at is Wisconsin. The school which is generally under the radar makes noise. Another school with talent is South Florida. They get kids who can play, have a da*n good coach (Jim Levity), and have QB who will grow not to make mistakes.

I think tha TCU is too low, but WAC Commissioner,Carl Benson, thinks that the WAC is a better confrence than the Mountain West. I don't really care, but he (Benson) said so during media day. Personally, I think TCU was better than Bosie on a nuetral field. Plus the weak BSU schedule will finally catch up with them. A win at Washington this year should be their biggest road win, but how big is that really? BSU got smacked at Georgia while TCU has beaten OU, Baylor on the road and beat TxTech at home. Soon, their (BSU) poor schedule will hit them hard, like it has to Fresno State and TCU. The BCS schools will not plau home/homes with them at all, not even 2-for-1 one. Thus, they will have to wil their nonconference with MAC, CUSA, and non-BSC schools. That isnt revenue, period. You have to have quality home games to satisify the 50K who buy tickets to generate revenue for the entire athletic department.

Oregon is actually scheduled to play a home-and-home with Boise St. in '08-09, with the game in Eugene coming first. and we haven't had serious struggles with the program since the early '90s, so that's not exactly a bad game to schedule.

harperdc.gif

Oregon is actually scheduled to play a home-and-home with Boise St. in '08-09, with the game in Eugene coming first. and we haven't had serious struggles with the program since the early '90s, so that's not exactly a bad game to schedule.

My point is that a BCS school can afford a $400,000 buyout for a game with a non-BSC school which may make the non-BCS $700,000 - 1M in revenue. Paying to get out of a road game after the lesser team went to you is a typical "deal". Texas Tech and OK State recently have bought out their return game to Fresno State, because they just don't want to play there. Kansas State also bought out, but TV money and the fact that Cincinnti would move their two year contract allowed for this year's game after Thanksgiving.

Earlier in the otts, the same thing occurred with other BCS schools for Fresno State. This could just be a factor with the WAC over Mountain West , since TCU's regional appeal and private school money looks to give them an edge to match with former SWC and Big 8 schools. While Fresno State has got a thinning reputation, and deservedly so due to their performance and rogue NCAA appearance throughout their athletic department.

Wait, but Fresno State had to accept the buyout, right? If I was Fresno, I'd refuse to be bought out.

Notre Dame is too high with 90 points in voting. This is a team that, even if they were to go undefeated, would not deserve a spot in the BCS, as they don't play a tough enough schedule. Why even schedule games against Navy or Duke or Army, as opposed to a Florida who plays Tennessee and LSU on a regular basis, or a USC who regularly plays Cal, Oregon, or UCLA.

LvZYtbZ.png

As a UM alum, but was never a fan, they are ranked for disappointment as usual. LLLoyd Carr is one of the worst game day coaches who still has a job. Sadly, Les Miles will get the job in a year or two since he is the hotest coach who has Michigan connections. Les has had nice teams with OKState, but his LSU teams were damn strong and tanked that game @ Florida. I was there and the fumble at the goalline was horrible.

Les Miles is still playing with Nick Saban's recruits, and with Miles they just aren't s good as all the hype makes them out to be.

I for one expect Arkansas to win the SEC West in spite of Houston Nutt once again.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

While it's nice to see my alma mater (LSU) picked so high, I'll agree with you that they are ranked too high-- if only because then everyone is gunnin' for you. I'd rather us be in the middel of the pack and sneak up quietly, or even finsh strong and be ranked #3 at the end of the season as we were last year (we wuz robbed by the refs in the Auburn game).

Although LSU lost some key players ( Jamrcus Russell, Dwayne Bowe, LaRon Landry, et als), we have a lot of talent still there. Not enough to be no. 2, however.

After seeing your post, I would have NEVER guessed you went to LSU..... :D

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

Boston College (#26) should be good this year

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481

2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372

3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278

4. Texas 0-0 1,231

7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114

8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026

10. Ohio State 0-0 919

11. Louisville 0-0 836

12. California 0-0 763

13. Georgia 0-0 604

14. Auburn 0-0 595

15. Tennessee 0-0 583

16. Rutgers 0-0 466

17. UCLA 0-0 454

18. Penn State 0-0 440

19. Nebraska 0-0 388

20. Arkansas 0-0 360

22. TCU 0-0 233

23. Boise State 0-0 222

24. Hawaii 0-0 214

25. Texas A&M 0-0 209

Too High: Virginia Tech (Something tells me that this isn't the same Hokie team. I dunno, I could be wrong), Auburn.

Too Low: Hawaii AND Boise State (When they meet in November, I say these two will be the last unbeatens in FBS play).

Sleeper: Hawaii. Think about it.. A great QB, fearsome WR corps, and a cream cheese soft schedule that gets tough only at the end with three of the potential WAC spoilers (America's Darling, Boise State. The dreaded Pistol offense of Nevada and the only team that may actually make Hawaii cringe... San Jose State) and a possibly hungry U-Dub team at the end. My friends, meet your 2008 Uncrowned champions.

Notre Dame is too high with 90 points in voting. This is a team that, even if they were to go undefeated, would not deserve a spot in the BCS, as they don't play a tough enough schedule. Why even schedule games against Navy or Duke or Army, as opposed to a Florida who plays Tennessee and LSU on a regular basis, or a USC who regularly plays Cal, Oregon, or UCLA.

Sure, Florida plays LSU and Tennessee every year, but Florida annually schedules three cupcake games to round out their non-conference schedule. Florida's 4 non-conference games are Florida State, Western Kentucky, Troy, and Florida Atlantic....teams that lost at least 5 games each. Add to that, the usual 2-3 games against bad conference teams.

Notre Dame annually plays Michigan and USC, two teams that are usually in the Top 10 every year. And, for the record, Navy won more games last season than any of Florida's non-conference opponents.

For comparison's sake, USC and Florida play 4 teams that won at least nine games last year, while Notre Dame plays 6 games against opponents that won at least nine games.

Notre Dame usually has a schedule comparable to any team in the nation before the season begins. However, Notre Dame (and any other school, for that matter) usually makes their schedules years in advance, and can't control what happens to that program by the time the current season arrives.....so they schedule by their recent history. For example, the season Colorado won the Big XII title (or at least the division title...one of the two), Georgia and Colorado scheduled a home-and-home for like 6-7 years down the road. UGA didn't expect Colorado's program would turn to absolute crap that quickly.

Notre Dame usually has a schedule comparable to any team in the nation before the season begins. However, Notre Dame (and any other school, for that matter) usually makes their schedules years in advance, and can't control what happens to that program by the time the current season arrives.....so they schedule by their recent history. For example, the season Colorado won the Big XII title (or at least the division title...one of the two), Georgia and Colorado scheduled a home-and-home for like 6-7 years down the road. UGA didn't expect Colorado's program would turn to absolute crap that quickly.

You're dead on. For an independent, Notre Dame's schedule is quite comparable to that of any of the higher echelon teams in BCS Conferences. Of course, since they're an Independent, going to Michigan,Penn State, as well as UCLA are obviously cakewalks, and USC's just going to South Bend to collect a cheque to cover their athletic budget for the year.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived