Early 90's Buffalo Bills: What the hell?

eSabre

Okay, so I've been researching Bills jerseys, cause I'm getting a blank jersey lettered with an unnamed player from 1993. So trying to match a font, I've been looking at pics from that season.

Here are two pics from January 1993:

From Wild Card vs. Houston (Comeback game):

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/51746638.j...390C99FBC29389E

From Super Bowl XXVII:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72454387.j...A54852CDD0378F7

The first is obviously Plain Block Narrow, and the second is a custom font.

Then I found this pic, a complete cluster:censored:... look at CONLAN and BENNETT:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71395902.j...0A546A7F82E657F

What should I do? Go with the one from the Comeback game (The player I'm getting played a key role), or go with the one from the Super Bowl?

Can anyone identify the custom font?

For the most part, the fatter font is Helvetica Black. The Bruce Smith jersey uses Helvetica Black Condensed, not sure why, considering it has less letters than Bennett. This was also the font used on most Champion replica jerseys.

I find no rhyme or reason as to why some used Helvetica Black, and others used a standard block font.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Definitely go with the comeback game.

May I ask where you are getting this lettered? I'm looking to get a current Bills jersey customized. Any help would be great.'

And thanks to you, I now must have a Shane Conlan jersey.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The difference is, some of the jerseys are APEX, but most were Champion (ACO) with the traditional Champion-style number font and Helvetica lettering. The Champion jerseys were the main set, the Apex jerseys were fill-ins.

when I think of the Bills unis from that era, ahh the good ol' days, I always think of the Helvetica nameplate not the standard block. I have a Kelly champion jersey from that era

and it's got the helvetica nameplate with the champion numer font, with the slanted downtroke on the "2". It's funny, I never noticed all these years they had mixed jerseys until you posted those

photos

when I think of the Bills unis from that era, ahh the good ol' days, I always think of the Helvetica nameplate not the standard block. I have a Kelly champion jersey from that era

and it's got the helvetica nameplate with the champion numer font, with the slanted downtroke on the "2". It's funny, I never noticed all these years they had mixed jerseys until you posted those

photos

How about for the name you put "Wide Right" and the number 11?!?!

040122_norwood.jpg

photos

040122_norwood.jpg

giants fans owe norwood for their super bowl win.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I was never a big fan of the Champion font, but I thought that the Bills and Jets looked great in it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

hardy freakin' har har.

:rolleyes:

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

The fonts are clearly different. There are at least two totally different fonts, and two versions of one of those fonts (for a minimum of 3 different styles) visible in his pictures.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The fonts are clearly different. There are at least two totally different fonts, and two versions of one of those fonts (for a minimum of 3 different styles) visible in his pictures.

photos

I agree, go with Helvitica eSabre. I stopped liking those Bills jerseys when they switched from Champion to Apex to Puma and the different skinnier number fonts...

I hated this version of the number two.

christie1018.jpg04_0907_02.jpg

To me the Classic 90's Bills jersey is Champion made with the Helvitica nameplates and fat numbers. Jim Kelly wouldn't look right in unless his 2 was in the champion style...

1991-wolford.JPGkelly04.jpg

For the most part, the fatter font is Helvetica Black. The Bruce Smith jersey uses Helvetica Black Condensed, not sure why, considering it has less letters than Bennett. This was also the font used on most Champion replica jerseys.

I find no rhyme or reason as to why some used Helvetica Black, and others used a standard block font.

Would you happen to have Helvetica Black Condensed? Can someone hook me up with that?

Please PM me!

Those jerseys (especially the road whites) were amazing. *hint hint, Bills management*

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Those jerseys (especially the road whites) were amazing. *hint hint, Bills management*

Really? The road whites never did it for me. I never could wait till they came home and could put the blues back on again. Probably because I'm not a fan of the "white out" look of white jersey over white pants they did.

However I will agree that the early 90's set was a lot better than the current Bills set. I would have preferred a slightly darker shade of blue, but not quite the navy they went to now.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Archived