Columbus destroyers

mac

Hey, I like to adopt the league this year, watch some games, be a fan of a yet-unselected team... how about a primer for a newbie to the league..  who is good/evil, whats the deal-o?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot about the league's storylines because I didn't get to watch a lot of it on TV last season. I plan to watch more this year, though.

One thing I now, though, is that John Gruden's brother, Jay Gruden, coaches and used to play for the Orlando Predators, for one. The San Jose SaberCats are EVIL and the Tampa Bay Storm is one of the most dominant teams in AFL history. They are also the reigning AFL champions.

Hey, I like to adopt the league this year, watch some games, be a fan of a yet-unselected team... how about a primer for a newbie to the league.. who is good/evil, whats the deal-o?

Las Vegas should be an interesting team to watch this year.  They have some guys that put up some impressive numbers last season and they have a new starting QB who has championship experience.

nitro...

There's no doubt that Destroyers' management COULD have hired someone to design a new logo package. I also agree that from a marketing standpoint it is idiotic not to have a new identity package in place. However, given the dismal track record of the Destroyers' part-owner Mark Hamister, I'm not shocked by this development.

After all, this is a guy who ran the Buffalo Destroyers into the ground with a half-a$$ed marketing effort... left what fans of the team that were left in Buffalo hanging until the last minute with regard to whether or not the team would be relocated for this season... did the same thing to fans of af2's Rochester Brigade, before ultimately folding them without an official announcement... and is apparently on the verge of doing the same thing to fans of his other af2 franchise the Cincinnati Swarm.

Business-wise, the guy is a nightmare.

Brian in Boston

Go Thunderbears...damn, they're long gone...

Go CityHawks...dammit, they're gone too...

Go Barnstormers...wait, they're on hiatus...

Go Mustangs...crap, they got run into the ground too...

Go Oklahoma Wranglers...crap, same thing...

Go Pharaohs...okay, enough with the graveyard...

Go Rush!  (at least til Milwaukee returns  :;): )

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I don't know if there is a so called EVIL team in the AFL. I'd probably say i don't like Orlando or Tampa Bay.

No no, San Jose is evil.  There are often rumored to be over the salary cap, they have their own private jet, trust me, they are evil.

And by the way, I encourage everyone to watch more Arena Football this year!

Amen! I've been hooked since I saw them play an exhibition game here in Atlanta many years ago (Bruisers vs. Dynamite). It's a really fun and innovative game. What's more, it's more family-friendly (hint: affordable) than most other sports.

Now, if we could just get people to quit trashing their logos... :laugh:

Yes, everybody definatly needs to watch Arena Football this season!

My personal choice of a fav team is the Los Angeles Avengers (which just has me really confused...I'm supporting Southern California?) They have an ex-Duck at QB in Graziani, although I think they might have lost a lot of the receiver firepower from last season. They also have a coach (Ed Hodgkiss) that's not afraid to gamble. Their 72-71 over San Jose last season proved that. I also have a special place in my heart for Grand Rapids, since they are about all that's left from the league's smaller market days.

I also think Philadelphia's going to be a team to watch. Todd Hammell's been in the league a long time, and Shon King is an explosion waiting to happen. Austin may turn some heads, but I didn't them get anybody big-time in the AFL except for John Kaleo.

As for the team I hate, that's easy: Colorado. I've always despised Elway, and as soon as he got onboard with the Crush, I knew I found my team to hate. I'm also not a big New York Dragons fan, just for the fact that they used to be the Iowa Barnstormers.

I was a Red Dogs/Gladiators fan... but since they bailed to go to Hookerville, USA, I've been liking the Dragons. Cool logo... (awful uniforms, but i digress)....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I was a Red Dogs/Gladiators fan... but since they bailed to go to Hookerville, USA, I've been liking the Dragons. Cool logo... (awful uniforms, but i digress)....

I find it interesting that Kurt Warner remains on the Dragons' protected player list.

I haven't had a favorite AFL team since the Stampede left town.  This year I'll probably pull a little harder for Las Vegas since Clint Dolezel and Marcus Nash are two of my starters in the AFA.  I also like the Chicago Rush, Detroit Fury and Dallas Desperados.

Archived