Most Painful Sports Memory

NJTank

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 5: Allan Houston's bullcrap running one-hander lucky shot that knocked the Miami Heat out of the playoffs 78-77 in 1999.

lg_mourning_ap_01.jpglg_johnson_ap_01.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

January 2006 - Steelers - Colts AFC Divisional playoff game. The Colts had home field throughout the playoffs and in my eyes it was there year. They had went 13-3. Polamalu's interception that was ruled an incomplete pass, Bettis fumbling the ball, Harper taking it back. Harper getting brought down by Roethlisberger. Manning gets into FG range and Vanderjagt shanks it... At least they made up for it last year.

IHL playoffs, Spring 1999. The Indianapolis Ice played their last season in the IHL, getting bounced out of the playoffs in the Conference Semis. They would go on to go to the Central Hockey League the next year. Nowhere near as good as the IHL. The Blackhawks announced they were pulling their affiliation with Indianapolis to go to the AHL.

IHL 1994-95 season. The Indianapolis Ice are the only team out of 17 (16 teams made the playoffs) that didn't make the postseason...

Western Conference Finals, 1999 & 2000. The Avalanche are eliminated both times by the Dallas Stars.

January 1996 - Colts at Steelers. Jim Harbaugh's hail mary pass to Aaron Bailey in the end zone. I initially had thought it was a catch and the Colts would be on their way to the Super Bowl...but no, replays showed he dropped the ball. I had never thought in the years I had followed the Colts to that point, that they'd ever be that close to the big game. Then Manning was drafted a couple of years later...

Pistons-Pacers fight at the Palace in November 2004. The Pacers haven't been the same since.

Stars-NorthStarsJerseys.png

• 2 months later...

Well, it was two Holy wars ago (rivaly between BYU and Utah football)....

Im sitting in the top row of Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City, home of my Utes. Utah is leading 31-26 with about :08 seconds left on the clock. I lean over to my uncle, and I say, "This is it. The Utes are gona win again!". BYU QB (and current Dolphis QB) John Beck takes the snap and drops back, frantically looking for a reciever. He can't find anyone. :04 seconds gone. He scrambles a bit, nothing. Time expires. I know it's done now when Utah brings in rushers to every side. Unfortunately, one of those rushers WAS covering BYU Tight end Johnny Harline. The defender rushes Beck instead of covering Harline. Now I'm screaming at the defense from the top row of the stadium "GET HARLINE!!!! GET HARLINE!!!!" Harline then just stands in the corner, all alone, and Beck spots the massive hulk of a tight end. He simply lobs it up....up...until it falls right into the hands of Harline as he falls to his knees - BYU wins the holy war 33-31, and my Utes stand shocked as they watch the game slip.

Every time I think about that dreadful moment, my head hurts. It doesnt get much worse than watching your team lose right there, in real time, at the stadium, and watch a moment that unfortunately gets shown again and again here in the valley all the time on TV.

And right behind that is Michael Jordan nailing that shot in the '98 finals over MY Jazz. I was only 5 then, but when he crossed my man Bryon Russell out, my heart sunk. Sure enough, those cocky Bulls got another ring and it was at our house. That ticks me off every time I see it. I've hated the Bulls ever since to this day.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I still have flashbacks of the Habs game 4 loss to the Hurricanes in 2002. They could of took a commanding 3-1 lead in the East Semis, but Theodore blanked out and let in the tying goal with less than a minute left. The Canes scored in OT to seal it. They really could of made the Conference Finals. They really coulda.

Another typical Habs meltdown: Last year, they lost the final game of the season and missed the playoffs by a stinkin lousy point. At least Habs fans rejoiced as the Leafs fell under those same circumstances the next day. :P

Archived