Most Painful Sports Memory

NJTank

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm amazed none of these Buffalo fans brought up Wide Right...that IMO would be much more painful if I was a fan from that city.

I am old enough to remember the game, but I didn't care about sports back then. But the difference between that and the other sad memories of Buffalo sportsdom is that the Bills lost that game fair and square themselves. No bad call beat them, no fluke play, no outside elements affecting things. They gave it their best and they lost -- it happens.

BTW, the Music City Miracle was not forward and Brett Hull's skate was not in the crease. :P

I'm a blind homer on the first half of that statement and can kinda be intellectually honest and agree. However, with the second part, come on...

bretthull_nogoal.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

For me, it's gotta be the Cubs choking in the 2003 NLCS. Alex Gonzalez booted an easy double-play ball. Game 7 of that series didn't even matter, after that play it seem like they were done.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

3) 398453.jpg (I'll take it to the grave that if they make that 10-0 2nd half AFC Championship game lead stand, they beat the Falcons in Super Bowl 33).

It would've been a better game than the debacle it turned out to be. :cursing:

That being said...your sig with the Mets is hilarious.

1.)

060831_maier.jpg

2.) Tony Fernandez's 11th inning homerun in the 1997 ALCS. I remember just crying when it happened. It hurts alot because we've sucked ever since it happened.

3.) Maryland losing to dook in the 2001 Final Four. It was our first ever final four appearance and we were up 22 at the half. The second half we completely blew it (but the refs did help). This one didn't hurt too bad since we won it all the very next year, but it would have been nice to have back to back championships (and three final fours in a row if Wilcox stayed another year, but thats a different story).

I would say the Vikings' 1998 loss to the Falcons because I was depressed for a month after that, but there was a bigger childhood pain.

My dad and uncle went to the 1965 World Series, traveling 430 miles to old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minn., to see the Twins play the Dodgers. My cousin (who is a my age) and I protested; we wanted to go to the World Series, too. My dad and uncle promised that the next time the Twins would make the World Series, we would go.

Flash ahead to 1967. The Twins, Red Sox, Tigers and White Sox were in a battle for the AL title. World Series tickets went on sale in all four areas, just in case. My dad and uncle got tickets -- with my cousin and I going, too. Not only that, but we would stay at the Thunderbird, a really nice motel right across from the old Met.

The Twins went into a two-game series against the Red Sox at the end of the season. The Twins needed only one win and we would be going to the World Series. The Red Sox beat the Twins on Saturday. Then came the devistation, when Jim Lonborg pitched the Red Sox past the Twins and into the World Series.

I cried myself to sleep that night.

93_paxson_g6.jpg

Here it is. 7-year-old Shumway, a die-hard Phoenix Suns fan, is enjoying a Disney World vacation with his family as the Suns are playing the Bulls in the NBA finals. Jon Paxson owes me a vacation, and I still hate Michael Jordan.

(Dis)honorable mentions:

- Basically every playoff year for the Red Wings, post-2002. Actually, this year was a pleasant surprise, as I didn't expect the boys to make it past San Jose. Regardless, I think they should've beaten Calgary and Edmonton in years past.

- I'm a Lions fan, so, well, pick a year/game. Specifically, last years victory over Dallas was upsetting. I kinda wanted the #1 pick at the time, although I'm very pleased with The Megatron.

- 1995 - one-game playoff - Angels vs. Mariners. Then again, the last month of that season was pretty crappy to be a Halos fan. I still hate Randy Johnson though, and basically anyone who at any point played for Seattle.

- The past few years as a Suns fan have been pretty disappointing in the end. They need Thunder Dan back :P

#1 is the Giants collapse in San Francisco in 2003. It was the day I moved from Staten Island to New Jersey, so I was already depressed.

After that, it's a terrifying collage of Drury's goal with 7.7 seconds, everything in game 7 of last year's NLCS after the pure joy that was Endy's catch, the Kenny Rogers bases loaded walk, the entire 2000 Subway Series, and, at least up until John Maine's dynamite game today, the month of September 2007.

msg-117798227822.jpg

-Bud Selig lowballing Paul Molitor into signing with Toronto in disgust and helping them to two straight World Series.

-Super Bowl XXXII. Way to show confidence in the Packers by talking to the Seahawks Mr. Holmgren

-The Catch II. Oh, and thanks AGAIN Mr. Holmgren for voting AGAINST instant replay which would've given the Packers the ball when Rice fumbled.

-Games 6 & 7 of the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals. And David Stern wonders why the NBA is seen as a joke.

-George Karl mortgaging the Bucks future by having Ray Allen traded for older-than-dirt Gary Payton (who we all knew would be leaving at the end of the season).

-4th & f***in' 26

I would have probably said Wide Right, but I was less than 1 year old at the time.

2nd on my list would have been the Music City Miracle.

And 3rd would have been the Maier fan interference. I vaguely remember this. I was 6 and was watching at my father. I was rooting for the O's (obviously) and remember yelling at the TV when the Yanks won.

And 4th is UB losing to Ohio in the '04? MAC Final on a tip in at the buzzer. That and the fact that they were snubbed out of the NCAA tourney.

saBS.png

-Bud Selig lowballing Paul Molitor into signing with Toronto in disgust and helping them to two straight World Series.

Molitor signed with the Jays after the '92 season... they won 1 world title with Molitor before playing like crap in his next 2 seasons here.

But thank you Bud :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

1. Super Bowl XXXVI, specifically the last second figgie.

1a. 2003-04 NFC Divisional Playoffs: Carolina @ St. Louis. That Steve Smith TD in double overtime is scorched on my retinas.

I'd like to add that this year's Rams season is moving up the charts fairly rapidly.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived