Most Painful Sports Memory

NJTank

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Game 7 of the 2003 Stanley Cup Final.

2. Game 5 of the 2006 NHL Western Conference Final.

3. 2005 AFC Championship Game.

The 2007 Stanley Cup Final has removed all bitterness of the first two games. Super Bowl XL, ditto, the third game.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

- 1986 World Series

- 1989 SuperCup Final (soccer) b/w Independiente and Boca Jrs.

- 1990 World Cup Final of soccer b/w Argentina and West Germany

- 1999 ALCS

- 2002 World Series

- 2002 World Cup Final of basketball b/w Argentina and Serbia

- 2003 ALCS

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

aaron-boone-home-run-2003.jpg

2003 was the year I became a die-hard Red Sox fan. Before that year I was a fan, but not nearly to the extent that I am now. I got so into that team that year. I watched every second of the playoffs and it was the only time I've ever had my heart broken by a sports team. Aaron :censored:ing Boone.

IUe6Hvh.png

The 2000 Orange Bowl broke my 11 year old heart, I've had a burning dislike for Brady ever since then.

Game 5 of the 2005 NLDS.

Alabama - Arkansas 2006.

The 5OT Alabama - Tennesse game in 2003 or 2004.

Appalachian losing to Ole Miss in the NIT - it was such a great season and I didn't want it to end

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

tennessee.jpg

March 16, 2006. NCAA Tournament, Greensboro Regional.

#2 Tennessee 63, #15 Winthrop 61. Tennessee's Chris Lofton takes an inbounds pass with 2.9 seconds left and sends my Eagles home. I was in attendance, and I'll say that the game, for 39 minutes and 57.1 seconds, was magical. Our little Winthrop section was rocking the upper corner, and by the end of the game anyone that wasn't wearing that foul-colored orange was on their feet, cheering for Winthrop. I was sure we were going to pull it out, and I made the 3 hour drive home in silence.

I'll also throw the 2007 NCAA Tournament (#3 Oregon 75, #11 Winthrop 61) out there, even though Winthrop beat #6 Notre Dame in the first round. It was a great run for us and our first NCAA victory, I just hated to see the season come to an end. I was also there for the game in Spokane, WA...the trip home was a little longer after that one.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1. Losing the North Stars

2. Kirby Puckett's forced premature retirement

3. Vikings 1998 NFC Title game loss to ATL

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Last year there was a thread of everyone describing what was their most painful; sports memory I could not find the original thread so I'm starting it again

Mine is easy mine is now, I honestly don't know how Ill be able to believe in my team again because of it.

Watching you melt down over the Mets is going to be my most painful sports memory. :D

Actually that was REALLY clever! Should it really be considered "pain"? I can see painful if you are between the ages of six to ten. I can say "sad" or "depressing",even "distressing", but not really painful. Painful would be dislocating a body part while participating, knowing that your season and possible life doing that sport is essentially over. That to me would "painful". If you may carry that much emotion with sport, you need other hobbies or activities. I'd suggest to volunteer somewhere as opposed to be on a computer, Tank.

However to answer the OP, I would say that the 2003 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl (Ohio State/Miami). I will only consider games which I was actually at. There a very old thread about ticket stubs, where that and many of my stubs are present. Sadly, I was dressed in old school camo (like the previous UM teams), got REALLY loaded, and depressed for the next 12 hours. Only 12 hours since I had to sleep and catch a flight with 2 buddys and we saw the Giants/49ers game where the NYG blew the lead, just to get hosed after the botched FG attempt. Bob Ryan was on the flight from Phoenix to San Fran., at least we were able to spare him to death.

I felt sorrow for Meldrick Taylor for losing to J.C.Chavez with less than ten seconds left, but that was never painful. he fought his a$$ off and was never the same man afterwards.

Most painful: '97 WS Game 7. Not much else left to say.

Other notable painful memories in order starting after # 1

2) Browns/Steelers - 2003 Wild Card playoff. Yep, blew that one in typical Browns fashion.

3) Devils/Rangers - 1994 Eastern Conference Finals Game 7. (This one would be # 2, but three Stanley Cups since have eased that one for sure)

4) Nets/Spurs - Game 6, 2003 NBA Finals. Winning, going into the 4th and to give up 31.

5) Nets/Pistons - Game 7, 2004 Eastern Conference Semifinals. Damn, to get blown out like that. Jeez.

1. Game 7 of the 2003 Stanley Cup Final.

2. Game 5 of the 2006 NHL Western Conference Final.

3. 2005 AFC Championship Game.

The 2007 Stanley Cup Final has removed all bitterness of the first two games. Super Bowl XL, ditto, the third game.

You do mean the 2004 AFCCG where the Patriots beat the Steelers, right?

The 2005 AFCCG is where the Broncos got a beat down at home against the Steelers because the Broncos decided not to show up and play professional football that day, which brings me to mine...

1. 1996 AFC Divisional Playoffs: The Jaguars stun the Super Bowl favorite Broncos at Mile High.

2. 2005 AFC Championship Game: The Steelers convert 3rd & long after 3rd & long and demolish the Broncos at home no less.

3. Super Bowl XXIV: Kevin Dyson short of the goal line by two feet, St. Louis wins the Super Bowl.

4. 2003 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round: In Patrick Roy's last game, the Minnesota Wild upset the Avalanche in overtime with a shocking goal.

5. 2001 American League Playoffs: The Mariners after having the best record in the history of baseball lay down and die against the Yankees.

6. September 28th, 2007: The Rockies on an 11 game winning streak host the Diamondbacks for a chance to win the division for the first time ever, but can't pull out the victory and are now reeling for even a playoff birth. (This goes away if the Rox somehow make the playoffs)

Last year there was a thread of everyone describing what was their most painful; sports memory I could not find the original thread so I'm starting it again

Mine is easy mine is now, I honestly don't know how Ill be able to believe in my team again because of it.

Watching you melt down over the Mets is going to be my most painful sports memory. :D

Actually that was REALLY clever! Should it really be considered "pain"? I can see painful if you are between the ages of six to ten. I can say "sad" or "depressing",even "distressing", but not really painful.

However to answer the OP, I would say that the 2003 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl (Ohio State/Miami).

Most disappointing sports moment might be a better description than most painful. Painful, in the context Tank is using it, is what happened to people in New Orleans or to the families of military people killed in action etc. Watching the Mets blow a 7 game lead with 17 to play may be disappointing and frustrating but it's hardly true human suffering.

Funny how things work out. Your most disappointing sports moment turns out to be one of my favorite sports moments. Glad we could provide you with the memory. :D

defensive6.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

52-20.

First person to figure out where that score came from will know my single most depressing moment in sports fandom.

Okay...I'll tell you: the 1996 Sugar Bowl. Florida 52, FSU 20. For the national title.

It was bad enough we had to play our most hated most archest of archrivals that night. But, in that game, not only did dem damn Gators avenge FSU's victory against them earlier in the season, they did it FOR A NATIONAL TITLE.

I can still remember the t-shirts printed after that game (and I'm reminded of it every time I go back to my hometown):

SUGAR SWEET.

Burns me the f*** up every time I think about it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm amazed none of these Buffalo fans brought up Wide Right...that IMO would be much more painful if I was a fan from that city.

BTW, the Music City Miracle was not forward and Brett Hull's skate was not in the crease. :P

Now then, here's my list:

Super Bowl XX - Pats get thumped by the Bears, and THE FRIDGE SCORES A TOUCHDOWN!

1986 World Series - Game Six is when I learned what it meant to be a pre-2004 Red Sox fan.

Super Bowl XXXI - @$%! Desmond Howard. At least Favre got his ring before Elway got his.

2003 ALCS - Game Seven is when I was reminded what it meant to be a pre-2004 Red Sox fan. @$%! Aaron Boone.

1990 NCAA Elite Eight, UConn vs. Duke - Still the reason I despise Christian Laettner.

The loss of the Almighty Whale - ...let's just move on.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived