nhl team nicknames what there could have been

Colorado Avalanche

Ok so I have been wondering what nhl teams were gonna use say for example the Avalanche were gonna use Rockey Mountain Extreme. Freaky. So if you guys will help me get some thanks.

1)Ducks

2)Thrashers

3) Bruins

4)Sabres

5)Flames

6)Hurricanes*****Ice Hogs

7)Blackhawks

8)Avalanche******Rockey Mountain Extreme,Rapids,Outlaws,Mamouth

9)Blue Jackets****Justice

10)Stars

11)Red Wings

12)Oilers

13)Panthers

14)Kings

15)Wild**********Northern Lights,Voyageurs,White Bears,Blue Ox,Freeze

16)Canadians

17)Preators*******Fury,Ice Tigers

18)Devils*********Meadowlanders

19)Islanders******Ducks

20)Rangers

21)Senators

22)Flyers

23)Coyotes

24)Penguins******Hornets

25)Sharks********Screaming Squids,Blades

26)Blues

27)Lighting

28)Maple Leafs

29)Canucks

30)Capitals*******Colonials

31)North Stars****Lone Stars

smythdp1.jpgtruro.gif

I heard that the other finalist for the Sharks name was the San Jose Screaming Squids...no lie. I'm sure our Bay Area posters can confirm or deny that.

Nashville had that "here's the logo...pick a name" contest...Fury...Ice Tigers...Predators were their finalists.

Pittsburgh Penguins were to be either the Penguins or the Hornets.

Thrashers, as I understand, were never given any voting...Ted Turner named the team.

Minnesota had a slew of names...like Northern Lights, Voyageurs (sp), etc.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Pittsburgh Penguins were to be either the Penguins or the Hornets.

I believe the Pittsburgh Hornets were a minor league team that helped develop players for the Toronto Maple Leafs back in the 40's, so it might have been considered as a homage to that team. I know Bill Barilko played for them before making the jump to the NHL.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

So if you guys will help me get some thanks.

Me too. Thanks in advance.

Aight, so what y'all need to do, is walk down to 125th Street and see my girl LaNiqua. She'll tale care of you. :P

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I know for a fact that "Meadowlanders" was a name the Devils had in the mix....and no, I had this name for my fantasy team originally back in the 90's before I knew of that...but I thought it was cool.

I have the article laying around somewhere where it was mentioned for their 25th anniversary, I'll try to dig it up and post all of the potential names...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

i know Mammoth and Rapids were options for the Avs too

edit it wasnt Mammoth it was Outlaws.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I remember Phil Esposito talking about potential names in his book "Thunder and Lightning" but as I don't have a copy handy, I can't check at a moment. I remember he says how he came up with the tampe "Lightning" for the team but if I remember correctly, he mentions some of the others being mulled over.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Archived