Fargo Force

Joshawaggie

Fargo Force

HA!

How long did it take for you to come up with THAT one?

About three seconds.

It took me almost ten minutes to find an HTML combination that accurately conveyed the joke, though.....

This is why Graphic Designers don't make great comedians.

Just kidding. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Force name taking some hits regionally...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...f3d70d97022277c

OUR OPINION: The Force belongs at UND

Fargo hockey boosters are trespassing with the name of their new team.

Friday, October 19, 2007

UND's effort to brand its athletic programs as "a force to be reckoned with" has run into another force boosters of a city upriver.Fargo's new hockey team, it turns out, will be called "The Fargo Force."The Fargo name clearly is derivative. UND began using "Force of the North" to describe its football teams two years ago. More recently, it's been used for all athletic programs.

"Force of the North" has been the primary identifier of these programs lately, the school's official nickname, "Fighting Sioux," having taken a subsidiary place in promotions. This has led to speculation that UND was trying out "Force of the North" as a replacement for its current nickname and mascot.

Against that background, it's hard to escape the conclusion that Fargo hockey boosters were trying to steal a march on UND. By adopting the name "Force," they may interfered with the intended course of events here.

This would be in keeping with Fargo's long-standing jealousy of UND's hockey program. Efforts to establish varsity hockey at North Dakota State University have failed repeatedly. NDSU's eagerness to make the jump to Division I athletics has its roots in hockey envy, too. UND's hockey program has been the state's only D-I program, and the UND hockey team remains the state's only athletic program to win Division I championships.

It's not NDSU that's co-opting UND's promotions, though, but a minor league hockey franchise. Of course, its owners have their own marketing and promotions challenges, especially in a community that has so far not embraced hockey except for those who make the journey up Interstate 29 for UND home games.

Still, a moment's reflection and a modicum of good will should have led them to a different choice for the sake of originality if nothing else.

For the sake of clarity, too. If UND continues to use "Force of the North" as a promotional slogan, confusion could reign.

Yet, this is not reason enough for UND to back away from its promotional campaign, which shows all of the signs of marketing professionalism.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why Fargoans decided on Force as their team name. They're capitalizing on UND's success.

Mike Jacobs for the Herald

• 9 months later...

Aww, it's good to see Tie Domi's getting work.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

forceCOLOR.jpg

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...;section=sports

interesting they picked just "Fargo", where as a majority of all minor league teams choose "Fargo-Moorhead" to appease the sister city.

I'm not too sold on the name or logo. I think Phantoms would have been a more interesting choice from the finalists.

It looks like a skateboard logo.

Aww, it's good to see Tie Domi's getting work.

I've seen all sorts of comments... comparisons to Chucky... mutated Japanese anime bobbleheads... the usual...

I've decided he looks like a rejected extra from Lazy Town.

Still... first rule of mascots- go with an animal if at all possible, as kids will warm up to an animal mascot more often than a human one. "Force" is a neutral name (not a human, not an animal), so pick an animal and go with it (see also; Crimson Tide, Alabama).

When the Lone Star Cavalry were considering getting a mascot, I strongly urged they go with a horse, and not the genocidal looking cavalry officer wielding a sabre-stick in their logo.

Hopefully, it's a good enough excuse to come up with a new name, sheesh.

No such luck... an equally lame mascot was unveiled last week:

X00055_932.JPG

I immediately thought of this when I saw the mascot for the first time:

54972-retarded%20cartman.jpg

Archived