"MLB Twsited" Hats

Chris062190

I always liked this idea. in my head, i thought of it as a rivals line. "NY" in Boston's font and colors, vice versa, etc.

I'd like the dodgers one in giants colors, but i dont know whats more offensive9which is what i want): your teams hat in a rivals colors , or your rivals hat in your teams colors. im from the bay area, but raised a dodger fan, so i wouldnt mind a dodger blu giants hat. this is a tough call.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this is actually a Twins hat in Cubs colors (LINK), but the darkness of the blue in the photo confirms to me that the Twins need to switch the color of their hats from Yankees navy to Indians navy.

twins.jpg

The word you're looking for is not "switch". The word is "return". I'm not sure Twins have ever been as light as the Indians, but their caps didn't used to be as dark as the Yankees.

Anyway, what this cap and the other Twins versions prove is that the Twins need to switch to a one-color TC logo. White with no outline, red with white outline, white with red outline, take your pick. That simple change takes the TC cap from being the worst cap logo in the big leagues to being one of the best, simply by virtue of the fact that the letter C suddenly becomes visible. (I have an all-white TC-logo Twins cap that was a DomePlus exclusive a few years back, and it's heaps better than the regular cap logo. But with the Twins wearing Yankees-blue caps, it looks a bit too Bronx for my taste.)

The Dodgers-colors A's cap is a nice historical oddity; that's pretty much what the Athletics would wear today had the team never left Philly.

Also, the Pirates-alt-colors Astros cap suggests to me the color scheme Houston should use, now that the D-Backs are completely owning the brick-sand-black look. Dominant black, dominant red, secondary yellow.

Two of the Red Sox alt-logo caps are awesome. First, the Rangers-colors royal blue cap with bright red sox makes me really wish the Red Sox would adopt something like it, the two points of emulation being the sox logo on a cap and the switch away from Yankees blue. I'd go green, myself, but a lighter blue would be fine. Also, the Padres-alt-colored Red Sox cap is so awesome, it makes me wish there was a Gold Sox team to wear it.

Finally, it's interesting that New Era didn't bother to make any Rockies caps in the "MLB Twisted" line. I might have thought about one if they came in a color combo more appropriate to my hometown of Cedar Rapids.

20082614447.png

Also, the Pirates-alt-colors Astros cap suggests to me the color scheme Houston should use, now that the D-Backs are completely owning the brick-sand-black look. Dominant black, dominant red, secondary yellow.

I don't know about Arizona "owning" that combo. If you mean that it makes more geographic sense, then yes. But if you mean in terms of success, the Astros have had the color scheme longer, with more playoff success (1 division title, 2 wild cards, and a pennant) than Arizona has in the combo (1 division title and down 0-3 in the NLCS). I'm just saying.

And I do understand the criticism of the Astros choice of colors (it is more railroad-y than space-y), but what exactly are "space" colors? I don't think the old navy-orange-red-white gear used to scream "Space!" any more that the current set does. That old color scheme just stayed from when the team was the Colt 45's.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Great. More gang hats.

maybe this me being naïve, but how is this a gang hat? just because its a NEW ERA fashion doesn't make it a "gang hat". I own a good portion of NE fashion caps and I'm nowhere close to being gang related. I like them(mostly solid colored ones) because they are a departure from being normal. who really wants to buy the same cap over and over again. your statement is overly sterotypical, and uncalled for.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I don't know about Arizona "owning" that combo. If you mean that it makes more geographic sense, then yes. But if you mean in terms of success, the Astros have had the color scheme longer, with more playoff success (1 division title, 2 wild cards, and a pennant) than Arizona has in the combo (1 division title and down 0-3 in the NLCS). I'm just saying.

And I do understand the criticism of the Astros choice of colors (it is more railroad-y than space-y), but what exactly are "space" colors? I don't think the old navy-orange-red-white gear used to scream "Space!" any more that the current set does. That old color scheme just stayed from when the team was the Colt 45's.

I agree with everything you say. I just think that the D-Backs look better in their version of the color scheme, and use the colors in better proportions. For me, a space-based color scheme for the Astros would start with black and use no blue at all. Oddly enough, brick and sand are good colors for a NASA-themed team. Brick is a good approximation of the color of Mars, and the sand color works well for certain kinds of lunar rocks, the planet Venus, and the yellowish hue of sun-like stars. If Houston had called its colors deep space black, Mars red, and Lunar sand, nobody would complain about them not being space-y enough. But I think a brighter, more vivid red and yellow would communicate that identity more clearly.

Finally, I don't think the Astros current colors are railroady at all. I really don't think it's plausible to suggest that if you'd shown 100 Americans the colors black, brick, and sand in 1990, even one of them would have said that his first response was "Railroad". Black, silver, deep green, bright red, rusty brown -- those are railroad colors, the colors of train engines, coal, tracks and trestles. The association of these colors and "railroad" is purely and solely a result of knowledge of the Astros' attempt to change its name and its ongoing use of railroad iconography at its ballpark.

20082614447.png

Two of the Red Sox alt-logo caps are awesome. First, the Rangers-colors royal blue cap with bright red sox makes me really wish the Red Sox would adopt something like it, the two points of emulation being the sox logo on a cap and the switch away from Yankees blue. I'd go green, myself, but a lighter blue would be fine. Also, the Padres-alt-colored Red Sox cap is so awesome, it makes me wish there was a Gold Sox team to wear it.

I really.like those 2 caps as well. I think the red version is pretty nice as well. I'd love to see the Sox use it

Great. More gang hats.

maybe this me being naïve, but how is this a gang hat? just because its a NEW ERA fashion doesn't make it a "gang hat". I own a good portion of NE fashion caps and I'm nowhere close to being gang related. I like them(mostly solid colored ones) because they are a departure from being normal. who really wants to buy the same cap over and over again. your statement is overly sterotypical, and uncalled for.

If you want to represent your hometown with your gang's colors, these hats make it incredibly easy. Not everyone that buys these hats is a gangster, but there is definitely the possibility that they could be used for gangs. I had the same reaction as cheo25 when I opened up the Lids page. New Era has shown in the past that it's not above pandering to gangs and these hats, I'm sure, are designed in part to appeal to that market.

But again, buying these hats doesn't make you personally a gangster.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Disappointed with the Cubs options, not that I'd pick any up.

Half of these fail to use the outline of the C. Making the C and the outline all one block of white (or yellow) downgrades a lot of these. The only decent ones are what I believe to be Cardinals, Indians and Reds versions and all three are very similar to what they have or the reverse.

The A's, Braves and Pirates all could use and extra dose of color, although in that case I realize they'd look less like those teams' caps. But then why not remove the outline completely? Ah, laziness to make a buck.

Half of these fail to use the outline of the C. Making the C and the outline all one block of white (or yellow) downgrades a lot of these. The only decent ones are what I believe to be Cardinals, Indians and Reds versions and all three are very similar to what they have or the reverse.

The A's, Braves and Pirates all could use and extra dose of color, although in that case I realize they'd look less like those teams' caps. But then why not remove the outline completely? Ah, laziness to make a buck.

I wouldn't say laziness, its not there in the team they are emulating so they didn't put the outlineon the Cubs cap

Great. More gang hats.

If you want to represent your hometown with your gang's colors, these hats make it incredibly easy. Not everyone that buys these hats is a gangster, but there is definitely the possibility that they could be used for gangs. I had the same reaction as cheo25 when I opened up the Lids page. New Era has shown in the past that it's not above pandering to gangs and these hats, I'm sure, are designed in part to appeal to that market.

But again, buying these hats doesn't make you personally a gangster.

I don't see how these can be overtly gang inspired. the banditos,bandana & king of (insert city name) series. sure that's pandering to that demographic, but saying these are is a bit of a stretch. these are probably the tamest fashion NE caps you ever see. I'd venture to say these won't sell half as well as the fashion caps that have a whole lot more going on.

I wouldn't say laziness, its not there in the team they are emulating so they didn't put the outlineon the Cubs cap

But they did keep the outline... and made it white, which creates the look of a bigger C than what's really on the cap. Other examples didn't do that -- the Dodgers mixed it up quite well and they don't even have an outline built-in, including a blue and yellow version that I guess is based on the Brewers' retro cap. I'd say make it a different color or remove it. Leaving it there and making it the same color as what it outlines makes no sense.

Put another way, the teams they are emulating, as you put it, the A's and Braves, don't have their respective "A" logos in white outlined by white. Same with the Pirates P -- it's not yellow on yellow. On the Cubs versions, it is. If they can add an outline to Dodgers caps -- two outlines on the red one -- they can remove it for Cubs caps (and Washington, Boston, Houston, Toronto and others I see that got the "muddy" effect).

I realize it's nitpicking, but that's what we're here for...

But they did keep the outline... and made it white, which creates the look of a bigger C than what's really on the cap. Other examples didn't do that -- the Dodgers mixed it up quite well and they don't even have an outline built-in, including a blue and yellow version that I guess is based on the Brewers' retro cap. I'd say make it a different color or remove it. Leaving it there and making it the same color as what it outlines makes no sense.

Put another way, the teams they are emulating, as you put it, the A's and Braves, don't have their respective "A" logos in white outlined by white. Same with the Pirates P -- it's not yellow on yellow. On the Cubs versions, it is. If they can add an outline to Dodgers caps, they can remove it for Cubs caps (and Washington, Boston, Houston, Toronto and others).

I realize it's nitpicking, but that's what we're here for...

I get what you're saying, but if they remove the white outline totally, then its no longer a cubs logo. I would tend to believe that they are prehibitted from removing that because of registered trademark reasons

I get what you're saying, but if they remove the white outline totally, then its no longer a cubs logo. I would tend to believe that they are prehibitted from removing that because of registered trademark reasons

Maybe, but if that's true then wouldn't that be the case for all of the added outlines, too?

And it's no problem here:

pMLB2-1726243t130.gif

Technically, the C without the outline is still a Cubs logo.

Archived