Thank God for exhibition and the Big Ten Network

rams80

I can't find a link...but the score was 85-82 GVSU in double overtime.

Michigan Schools should just stop playing lower division teams this year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Unfortunately the problem with college basketball, and I guess an argument for how college footballs system isn't completely terrible, is that even if this was the regular season, this loss, in the grand scheme of things, would mean almost nothing.

I guess it's moot since it wasn't regular season anyways.

IUe6Hvh.png

I guess the exhibition aspect may have made Michigan State lower its guard, but it seems like the exhibition victims are putting up a more spirited fight than usual this year.

I mean, my school, Division III DePauw, had a lead on Indiana State with roughly 4 minutes left in the game.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Heh. This is semi funny. I say it's semi funny because those who root for GVSU only care about the beast that is their football program.

Also, you think it makes sense since it is an exitbition game. If it was a regular season game, the Lakers would of lost by 50 or more.

Every year a D3 school beats a lower level D1 team. My college (Carthage who went to the d3 final four that year) missed a layup as time expired to nearly beat a team (Eastern Illinois) that went to the tourney later that season.

This isn't App St. beating Michigan.

Also, you think it makes sense since it is an exitbition game. If it was a regular season game, the Lakers would of lost by 50 or more.

Read that recap from Sparty again. Specifically note this quote:

The Spartans shouldn't have been shocked at the loss since they trailed the Lakers for more than 38 minutes before escaping with a win last season. This time, Grand Valley controlled the game for most of its 50 minutes.

I think they (or at least Tom Izzo) knew what to expect from GVSU...

Moose

My school, York (which is about equal to high Division 3 or low Division 2) beat Morehead State this year in an exhibition. Now I don't know anything about Morehead State other then they're Division 1, I dont know if they compete for the their conference title or not.

1zqy8ok.gif

Every year a D3 school beats a lower level D1 team. My college (Carthage who went to the d3 final four that year) missed a layup as time expired to nearly beat a team (Eastern Illinois) that went to the tourney later that season.

Let's see...school with Conference Title and possible National title aspirations loses to a lower division squad...

Besides this being exhibition, how is this different pray tell? It may be slightly less embarrasing, but its just as funny.

(And there is a huge gulf in talent between EIU and Michigan State, even if both made the Dance in 2001(?) They were a 15 seed and got massacred in the first round.)

Today, we are all otaku.

Let's see...school with Conference Title and possible National title aspirations loses to a lower division squad...

Besides this being exhibition, how is this different pray tell? It may be slightly less embarrasing, but its just as funny.

(And there is a huge gulf in talent between EIU and Michigan State, even if both made the Dance in 2001(?) They were a 15 seed and got massacred in the first round.)

You can't even make the comparison between the Eastern Illinois example and the Michigan St. situation (if it was the regular season). Michigan St. is a lot of analyst's sleeper Final Four pick. Michigan was a preseason #5. Seems pretty similar to me (again, if this were the regular season).

I say its not as big of a deal because it happens every year. Its slightly bigger than a D3 school beating a mediocre D1 school, but if it was a big of a deal as App St. beating Michigan it would have been all over the place.

Another thing is, its so rare for a Basketball team to go undefeated, nor is it necessary for one to go undefeated to win it all. In football, you almost always have to go undefeated (this year is proving otherwise but...) to win a national title. A loss to a team you shouldn't beat, be it Austin Peay or Grand Valley State isn't as devastating to you National Title aspirations and even more so for your Conference title aspirations.

I don't like Michigan State and I got a chuckle out of this for sure...and its going to give student sections some material... I just don't think its that big of a deal and will be forgotten in a few weeks.

And I know you know that an exhibition is much much different than regular season. Michigan State is still 0-0. Teams play the Globetrotters and Kiev Basket in exhibition games. If Eastern Lost to Carthage that year they would have been 0-1. But I think the only games that matter for post season are those within your same division.

I say its not as big of a deal because it happens every year. Its slightly bigger than a D3 school beating a mediocre D1 school, but if it was a big of a deal as App St. beating Michigan it would have been all over the place.

Another thing is, its so rare for a Basketball team to go undefeated, nor is it necessary for one to go undefeated to win it all. In football, you almost always have to go undefeated (this year is proving otherwise but...) to win a national title. A loss to a team you shouldn't beat, be it Austin Peay or Grand Valley State isn't as devastating to you National Title aspirations and even more so for your Conference title aspirations.

I don't like Michigan State and I got a chuckle out of this for sure...and its going to give student sections some material... I just don't think its that big of a deal and will be forgotten in a few weeks.

Apples and oranges....basketball has a tournament with 31 at large bids for teams that flub up. If college football had a 16 team playoff (like it should), Michigan would be in the conversation for an at large bid (if not an auto-bid), even with its HOT! HOT! HOT! disaster.

It's a loss by a national power to a lower division school....ergo it's funny.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived