Seattle Thunderbirds concept?

realmo

Hi all

I know jack :censored: about how to design, but I do love coming on here to check out all of your work...plus I love logo art...

Anyway, I'm interested to see what an update of the current Seattle Thunderbirds logo would look like (same basic color scheme and an update ala the Seahawks...it's an update, not a total redesign...) I also like the template from the Pittsburg throwbacks that they're wearing for the outdoor classic

The T-birds are moving to Kent next season and I'm just curious to see what an update would look like...I work for the team and I'm asking only on my own, not on behalf of the team

Like someone is going to make a logo for someone who works for a team if they are not getting paid...nice try though.

sig much?

Good design comes with practice. I'm far from a good designer, but that's my advice. Open up MS Paint and just screw around on it. Eventually you'll start to create stuff. Even recolouring existing logos is a good place to start.

sorry, not trying to rip off anything, nothing malicious doods. Just curious and trying to have some fun. Didn't mean to push the "defensive" button, obviously I "dont know how things work around here." And I wasn't "trying" anything, josh, get off your soap box buddy, just putting a call out there because I know that other people have had success (i.e. the Manatoba Moose concept that eventually became their primary logo so I thought Id reach out to the same sources on this site).

sharplcd, message me so you can tell me "how it works here."

ah, I love message boards (I honestly do like the CC site), but wow, so quick to judge. have fun with your future concepts!

sorry, not trying to rip off anything, nothing malicious doods. Just curious and trying to have some fun. Didn't mean to push the "defensive" button, obviously I "dont know how things work around here." And I wasn't "trying" anything, josh, get off your soap box buddy, just putting a call out there because I know that other people have had success (i.e. the Manatoba Moose concept that eventually became their primary logo so I thought Id reach out to the same sources on this site).

sharplcd, message me so you can tell me "how it works here."

ah, I love message boards (I honestly do like the CC site), but wow, so quick to judge. have fun with your future concepts!

if you post this in requests, you may get a better response bro.

and if its gonna get used for anything, people may help out for a few quid or some team gear.

because I know that other people have had success (i.e. the Manatoba Moose concept that eventually became their primary logo so I thought Id reach out to the same sources on this site).

The problem with your Manitoba Moose example is that they held an official contest run by the organization. They were looking for a new logo to put on their 3rd jersey. Sterling's logo was so good, it ended up as primary.

An example on why you won't get a concept would be the original Baltimore Ravens logo. I'm guessing you already know that story, but yeah, ever since then, designers won't work for teams unless they are officially looking for help or have hired them....

I think the fact that you mentioned that you work for the team sent up an immediate red flag to us who are graphic designers and those who do it for fun on this board. It goes back to the Ravens fiasco. I think a better way of asking would've been maybe something like, "Hey, as a fan of the Seattle Thunderbirds has anyone designed a more modern logo for their move to Kent? If so, I'd love to see it." You'd probably get more of a positive response. :D

because I know that other people have had success (i.e. the Manatoba Moose concept that eventually became their primary logo so I thought Id reach out to the same sources on this site).

The problem with your Manitoba Moose example is that they held an official contest run by the organization. They were looking for a new logo to put on their 3rd jersey. Sterling's logo was so good, it ended up as primary.

An example on why you won't get a concept would be the original Baltimore Ravens logo. I'm guessing you already know that story, but yeah, ever since then, designers won't work for teams unless they are officially looking for help or have hired them....

I think it's more the other way around. Teams don't want to get sued like the Ravens did.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I think it's more the other way around. Teams don't want to get sued like the Ravens did.

As a new comer and someone not very familiar with the designing world, would someone be so kinda as to explain what happened in the Ravens case?

As a new comer and someone not very familiar with the designing world, would someone be so kinda as to explain what happened in the Ravens case?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Ravens

Look under the heading Logo Controversy.

Or in summary, a guy sent them this:

RavensdrawingBouchat.jpg

And their eventual logo looked like this:

Bwings.png

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Ravens

Look under the heading Logo Controversy.

Or in summary, a guy sent them this:

RavensdrawingBouchat.jpg

And their eventual logo looked like this:

Bwings.png

Ah, thanks for the info, that's pretty crazy. I can definitely see why artists are weary of designing things for teams now.

I may be the only one around here who remembers this, but roughly 5 years ago the T-Birds held a contest where fans could design a jersey and the winning design would be worn for one game. The "contest" dragged on and on and on with little feedback from the team. As it turned out, the contest ended without a winner, and instead somebody submitted an entry which became a T-shirt logo or some such thing and he got a free shirt. What a crock, IMHO.

So, when I see "I'm interested to see what an update of the current Seattle Thunderbirds logo would look like ..." and "I work for the team...", that raises a red flag for me.

Now, we could all be totally wrong and you are geniunely interested in seeing what kind of tweaks could be made to the logo just for fun. But we don't know that, and the Ravens incident is a great example.

I shall now return to deep lurking mode. Carry on, y'all.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Ah, thanks for the info, that's pretty crazy. I can definitely see why artists are weary of designing things for teams now.

It's not that "artists are weary of designing things for teams", but that artists don't want to be taken advantage of. And in his case, all he wanted was a signed helmet for his work (which the team wouldn't give him).

If the teams want our work, they should be up-front about it. Start a contest, let us submit.

Archived