New Orleans Hornets Jerseys

spillpronecanvas

Since adopting the new alternative logo patch, it appears to me that the Hornets now have "New Orleans" on their chest rather then 'hornets' as they did (for only 1-2 seasons). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, anybody have any old new orleans hornets pics? Have they always had the thin yellow outline around their word text?, because i remember it being light and dark blue for a while

Since moving to New Orleans (and including the OKC years), the wordmarks have been in this style:

NewOrleansHornets_WMKS_2007-2008_SO.gif

Teal, Purple, Gold, White.

Interestingly, in Charlotte, the primary trim color was Royal Blue - as opposed to Purple:

CharlotteHornets_WMKS_2001-2002_SOL.gif

Purple was also a prominent color in their scheme; however, Royal Blue was the primary trim color.

Spillpronecanvas, the "Hornets" jerseys were a temporary measure. They were used as the "home" uniform for the 2 years after Katrina when the team was temporarily relocated to Oklahoma City. "Hornets" was only used on the white home jerseys, during away games they wore jerseys (teal or gold) that had "New Orleans" on them.

Of course, on two occasions they wore jerseys in OKC that had "Oklahoma City" on them.....

It is what it is.

Wonder which wordmarks they'll use in the St.Louis era.

keep the gold, drop the teal and purple, adobt the royal blue from the charlotte days and they'll be like their tenantmates the St Louis Blues

And they are moving to St. Louis why?...or are you just being hypothetical lol.

no the other 'H' word :P

Seriously though, in the last month or so I've read and heard more and more arguments in the press supporting the team's relocation OUT of New Orleans. I'm not sure if it'll happen anytime soon, but as much as I hate relocation and as much as I feel for the people of the city of New Orleans...its just not a viable professional basketball market anymore. Unfortunately it may be years (if ever) before they can support any kind of major sport...other than football, and THAT can even be debated.

St.Louis or Kansas City seem like logical choices.

The Hornets would likely go back to OKC, as they have established a pretty solid fanbase there. Problem is, once they become a permanent team in OKC will the fans still come? I honestly doubt it, so I would move to a more economically safe situation in Kansas City. Right now though, it's a race to get to OKC first.

arent the Sonics moving to OKC? or am i mistaken?

You're correct. If the new owners of the Sonics can.

That would be a travesty I think. Here's to hoping that the SuperSonics can get a new arena in place (and/or new owners).

I also believe that the former owners of the Spirits of St. Louis (ABA) would have an issue with an NBA franchise in St. Louis. Since they're still getting paid their share of the NBA TV revenue.

Stupid merger agreement.

And they are moving to St. Louis why?...or are you just being hypothetical lol.

no the other 'H' word :P

Seriously though, in the last month or so I've read and heard more and more arguments in the press supporting the team's relocation OUT of New Orleans. I'm not sure if it'll happen anytime soon, but as much as I hate relocation and as much as I feel for the people of the city of New Orleans...its just not a viable professional basketball market anymore. Unfortunately it may be years (if ever) before they can support any kind of major sport...other than football, and THAT can even be debated.

St.Louis or Kansas City seem like logical choices.

Newer arena, less "major" teams and no merger agreement stipulations make Kansas City the more attractive candidate IMO.

The Hornets would likely go back to OKC, as they have established a pretty solid fanbase there. Problem is, once they become a permanent team in OKC will the fans still come? I honestly doubt it, so I would move to a more economically safe situation in Kansas City. Right now though, it's a race to get to OKC first.

I don't know - basically 2 straight seasons in OKC, the Hornets averaged 18,334 fans a game. They've never reached that number in a season at the New Orleans Arena. I don't care much for George Shinn as an owner but he's being forced to stay in a market where no one cares about basketball really.

You're right, who knows if fans in OKC would keep coming? My guess is that would, you're talking about a sports-heavy part of the country and the team has someone to build around in Chris Paul. If they were still mired in the mediocrity from 03-05 then I'd say forget moving but the truth is there are signs they might be a team on the rise.

As long as that's the case, let them move to a market that cares about them and keep the Sonics in Seattle - they have a legacy there and I'd hate to see them move.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

arent the Sonics moving to OKC? or am i mistaken?

I also believe that the former owners of the Spirits of St. Louis (ABA) would have an issue with an NBA franchise in St. Louis. Since they're still getting paid their share of the NBA TV revenue.

Stupid merger agreement.

They get paid 4/7 of a share. They got 1/7 of a tv share from each of the ABA teams moving into the NBA. They get that in perpetuity - and I don't think that placing a team in St. Louis would impact that.

The Silna's (the owners of the Spirits) received that "share" as consideration for folding the Sprits. John Y. Brown got $3.3 million for folding the Kentucky Colonels.

I'm told that this money gets paid whether the NBA has a team in St. Louis or not

(Source: Loose Balls by Terry Pluto)

Archived