United Football League

random_ax

Columbus Aviators (Birthplace of flying right?)

Huh? Are you perhaps thinking of Dayton, where the Wright Brothers had their bicycle shop?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oklahoma Cyclones (Many tornadoes start in the Oklahoma panhandle)

Leave the Panhandle out of this unless you want to park the team in Guymon and call the team the Boars (lots of hog processing out there). 95% of tornadoes in Oklahoma start somewhere else in the state. The OK Panhandle is only three counties (out of 77).

But... do you want to name a team the same thing as a school in the local D1 conference (Iowa State)? I'd keep the theme, but pick another name...

Oklahoma F5's :)

Might I suggest Fawcett City, or perhaps Bludhaven?

Fawcett City's undoubtedly in. Bludhaven, on the other hand, is a glorified suburb.

what no love for Central City?

Central City's a lock, much to the chagrin of the fans in Keystone City. They've been told that they'll have to support their twin city's team.

A team in Coast City would be such a feel-good story.

Done.

United Football League

East Division

Gotham City

Metropolis

Midway City

Opal City

Central Division

Central City

Fawcett City

Hub City

St. Roch

West Division

Coast City

Gateway City

Star City

Vanity

Might I suggest Fawcett City, or perhaps Bludhaven?

Fawcett City's undoubtedly in. Bludhaven, on the other hand, is a glorified suburb.

what no love for Central City?

Central City's a lock, much to the chagrin of the fans in Keystone City. They've been told that they'll have to support their twin city's team.

A team in Coast City would be such a feel-good story.

Done.

United Football League

East Division

Gotham City

Metropolis

Midway City

Opal City

Central Division

Central City

Fawcett City

Hub City

St. Roch

West Division

Coast City

Gateway City

Star City

Vanity

How could you leave out THE City? Mayor Blank will be so upset!

Metropolis Steelmen (in reference to Superman's nickname, "The Man of Steel")

Gotham City Knights (in reference to Batman's nickname, "The Dark Knight")

OK, back to the real world. I was thinking the Austin team should be called Rattlers or Vipers.

YOZXkBG.png?1

OK, back to the real world. I was thinking the Austin team should be called Rattlers or Vipers.

Dude, you left the real world months ago.

Dude, you left the real world months ago.

Whatever.

Besides, this topic has become the "DC Universe Football League" topic.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Huh? Are you perhaps thinking of Dayton, where the Wright Brothers had their bicycle shop?

Huh? You must be thinking of Kitty Hawk, NC where the 1st Flight was recorded. Actually, most people don't this but the eldest Wright brother was born in Millville, IN before the family moved to dayton, oh.

So, technically dayton's only claim to flight heritage is that ONE of the brothers was born there and they did some testing there before the 1st Flight in NC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Brothers

Huh? You must be thinking of Kitty Hawk, NC where the 1st Flight was recorded. Actually, most people don't this but the eldest Wright brother was born in Millville, IN before the family moved to dayton, oh.

So, technically dayton's only claim to flight heritage is that ONE of the brothers was born there and they did some testing there before the 1st Flight in NC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Brothers

I was just suggesting that among cities in Ohio, Dayton has a much better claim to the title than Columbus. Beyond that, North Carolina and Ohio can continue their little spat over the subject (though I don't see how you can trump the first actual flight).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

UFLAccess.com is reporting that Daren Libonati - Facility Director for the Thomas and Mack Center, Sam Boyd Stadium and Cox Pavilion - has revealed that the United Football League has entered into an agreement to play the league's inaugural United Bowl championship game at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas. Additionally, Libonati confirmed that an additional agreement has been drafted allowing for a Las Vegas-based UFL team to play in Sam Boyd Stadium during the UFL's first season, pending an ownership group being selected to operate the franchise.

Further, it is expected that UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue will be making an announcement about the state of the league next Saturday, March 1st.

UFLAccess.com is reporting that Daren Libonati - Facility Director for the Thomas and Mack Center, Sam Boyd Stadium and Cox Pavilion - has revealed that the United Football League has entered into an agreement to play the league's inaugural United Bowl championship game at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas. Additionally, Libonati confirmed that an additional agreement has been drafted allowing for a Las Vegas-based UFL team to play in Sam Boyd Stadium during the UFL's first season, pending an ownership group being selected to operate the franchise.

Further, it is expected that UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue will be making an announcement about the state of the league next Saturday, March 1st.

Any news about the league being pushed back to 2009?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

None that I know about.

The initial indication was that the United Football League planned to kick-off its inaugural season in August of 2008, with 6-to-8 franchises playing a 10-game season. There's been no official word that they've decided to delay the league's launch to August of 2009. Personally, I'm of the mind that UFL officials aren't leaving themselves much time to adequately prepare for a start-up in an August of this year.

Let's say that on March 1st, UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue announces that the league is going to move forward with an August 2008 kick-off. If they commence play with games on Friday, August 1st, league officials will have just 5 months, 1 week and 6 days to prepare. If they start play on Friday, August 29th, they'll have 6 months, 1 week and 6 days to pull things together. Let's say that they have commitments from all of the league's owners and completed stadium leases in place by next Saturday. They'll still have to hire front-office and coaching personnel, secure team office space, purchase supplies and equipment, develop team identity packages and ramp-up marketing campaigns. To my mind, they'd be cutting it awfully close.

None that I know about.

The initial indication was that the United Football League planned to kick-off its inaugural season in August of 2008, with 6-to-8 franchises playing a 10-game season. There's been no official word that they've decided to delay the league's launch to August of 2009. Personally, I'm of the mind that UFL officials aren't leaving themselves much time to adequately prepare for a start-up in an August of this year.

Let's say that on March 1st, UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue announces that the league is going to move forward with an August 2008 kick-off. If they commence play with games on Friday, August 1st, league officials will have just 5 months, 1 week and 6 days to prepare. If they start play on Friday, August 29th, they'll have 6 months, 1 week and 6 days to pull things together. Let's say that they have commitments from all of the league's owners and completed stadium leases in place by next Saturday. They'll still have to hire front-office and coaching personnel, secure team office space, purchase supplies and equipment, develop team identity packages and ramp-up marketing campaigns. To my mind, they'd be cutting it awfully close.

That's too short a timeline for lower-level indoor league teams. I also can't see how they would pull off 2008 start at this point.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I hope they move back the league's planned start until 2009. Not a single league that I can think of can prepare for an entire season of play in 6 months.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Well, UFLAccess.com is now reporting that Commissioner Huyghue's March 1st announcement is likely to be postponed. Make of that what you will.

Despite the involvement of William Hambrecht, Tim Armstrong, Mark Cuban and Huyghue, I'm beginning to think that this league might never get off the ground. Even with their presence - and the money, experience and connections they bring with them - the UFL has stumbled out of the blocks.

Bottom line? Anything less than a postponement until 2009 strikes me as being a major mistake.

It's offical, UFL's postponed until 2009.

http://www.uflaccess.com/

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

UFLAccess.com is now reporting that in "late March of 2008" United Football League Commissioner Michael Huyghue will make an announcement regarding which six markets will play host to franchises in the UFL's inaugural season, who the six owners are that will operate said teams, and the details of a national television deal. Additionally, there is a possibility that "perhaps Coaches and General Managers" will be identified by Commissioner Huyghue at that time. Most importantly, Commissioner Huyghue revealed that the kickoff of the UFL's inaugural season will now occur in 2009.

UFLAccess.com is now reporting that in "late March of 2008" United Football League Commissioner Michael Huyghue will make an announcement regarding which six markets will play host to franchises in the UFL's inaugural season, who the six owners are that will operate said teams, and the details of a national television deal. Additionally, there is a possibility that "perhaps Coaches and General Managers" will be identified by Commissioner Huyghue at that time. Most importantly, Commissioner Huyghue revealed that the kickoff of the UFL's inaugural season will now occur in 2009.

The college kid who runs that website has been saying we will be "very excited" about the owners on OSC.

Today, we are all otaku.

The college kid who runs that website has been saying we will be "very excited" about the owners on OSC.

Make of that what you will. As I see it, there are three scenarios that could lead to such a remarks on his part.

1) Commissioner Huyghue said, "People will be very excited about the owners we've lined-up for the UFL.", and the kid quoted him directly.

2) Commissioner Huyghue mentioned the UFL's owners by name and the kid found them to be "exciting".

3) Commissioner Huyghue mentioned the UFL's owners by name and their stature truly is exciting.

Personally, I don't believe the UFL has locked all of its owners in place yet. Ditto for stadiums and front-office/coaching personnel. Hence, the postponement of the commissioner's announcement until the end of March. Therefore, I'm not getting too excited about anything to do with the league at this juncture.

Archived