United Football League

random_ax

Anyway, I originally had the Senators name penned for the team in Columbus, but I'm pretty sure it would suit the Raleigh-Durham team really good.

Let's make one thing crystal clear. People in this area don't care for combining "Raleigh" and "Durham" except when it comes to our airport, which is Raleigh-Durham International. A combination of the two cities names would spell death for the team (see Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks). Use Raleigh. Use Durham. Use Carolina if you don't want to piss off either side, but don't use Raleigh-Durham. It shows serious lack of respect for either city.

So Raleigh then. But then again I don't think it would be right to name them the "Research Triangle whoever-you-want-to-call-them", wouldn't it?

YOZXkBG.png?1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My turn trying....

Austin Mustangs

Birmingham Hammerheads

Columbus Explorers

Las Vegas Scorpions

Los Angeles Juggernauts

Louisville Twisters

Memphis Centurions

New York Imperials

Oklahoma City Brahmas

Orlando Reavers

Carolina (Raleigh) Cannons

California (Sacramento) Condors

San Antonio Ghostriders

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

My turn trying....

Austin Mustangs

Birmingham Hammerheads

Columbus Explorers

Las Vegas Scorpions

Los Angeles Juggernauts

Louisville Twisters

Memphis Centurions

New York Imperials

Oklahoma City Brahmas

Orlando Reavers

San Antonio Ghostriders

Austin Mustangs, Columbus Explorers, Las Vegas Scorpions, Los Angeles Juggernauts, Memphis Centurions, New York Imperials, Carolina (Raleigh) Cannons, California (Sacramento) Condors, and San Antonio Ghostriders are all pretty good names. As for Louisville Twisters, Oklahoma City Brahmas, and Orlando Reavers, where did you get those names from? Out of a hat?

As for the team in Birmingham, you named them the Hammerheads? Are you kidding me? There are no hammerhead sharks anywhere near Birmingham!

YOZXkBG.png?1

My turn trying....

Austin Mustangs

Birmingham Hammerheads

Columbus Explorers

Las Vegas Scorpions

Los Angeles Juggernauts

Louisville Twisters

Memphis Centurions

New York Imperials

Oklahoma City Brahmas

Orlando Reavers

San Antonio Ghostriders

Austin Mustangs, Columbus Explorers, Las Vegas Scorpions, Los Angeles Juggernauts, Memphis Centurions, New York Imperials, Carolina (Raleigh) Cannons, California (Sacramento) Condors, and San Antonio Ghostriders are all pretty good names. As for Louisville Twisters, Oklahoma City Brahmas, and Orlando Reavers, where did you get those names from? Out of a hat?

As for the team in Birmingham, you named them the Hammerheads? Are you kidding me? There are no hammerhead sharks anywhere near Birmingham!

Nor are there any barracudas...outside of the aquarium. ^_^

That said....HAMMERheads is a nice reference to the steel industry-works for Birmingham.

Brahmas refer to the cattle industry, so that should work for Oklahoma.

I'm sure Louisville has tornadoes.

Reavers? I'm sure they could think of something.

Oh...and I would also play up the "this league is doomed shtick", but someone took it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My turn trying....

Austin Mustangs

Birmingham Hammerheads

Columbus Explorers

Las Vegas Scorpions

Los Angeles Juggernauts

Louisville Twisters

Memphis Centurions

New York Imperials

Oklahoma City Brahmas

Orlando Reavers

San Antonio Ghostriders

Nor are there any barracudas...outside of the aquarium. ^_^

That said....HAMMERheads is a nice reference to the steel industry-works for Birmingham.

Brahmas refer to the cattle industry, so that should work for Oklahoma.

I'm sure Louisville has tornadoes.

Reavers? I'm sure they could think of something.

Oh...and I would also play up the "this league is doomed shtick", but someone took it.

Oh, so that explains it!

YOZXkBG.png?1

Oklahoma City Plainsmen: in case you didn't know, there used to be a Continental Football League team in Oklahoma City called the Plainsmen in the 1960s.

And yes, there WAS a Continental Football League.

Go here.

And now there was a Pensacola Piccaroons team as well.

Not really, since I don't like people knowing my IP....but just pointing out the problems with that source.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Austin Freakazoids - spend an evening out there and you'll understand it

Memphis Earthquakes - cartoony logo of a stomping 350 lb. lineman setting off the New Madrid, or a football ripping along a "fault-line"

Oklahoma City Twisters or Tornadoes is fine, Stormchasers would be a different take on the theme. 89ers is back in play, and probably the best name ever used in the city. Bombers was mentioned as cruel, but was considered as a potential NHL name before the Murrah. As someone who lived there at the time (was working 2 miles from the blast and lost a good college friend), I don't have a major problem with it. Midwest City HS didn't go changing their name after it, because the tie to Tinker AFB is clear anb obvious. But, make the team "Oklahoma City", not "Oklahoma." You aren't gonna gain any more Tulsa fans with a state name than the Outlaws gained OKC fans in the USFL. I'm just curious to know where the team would play. OKC really doesn't have any decent stadia. Taft is a spartan WPA-era facility that might seat 20k. Norman and Edmond (UCO) have college facilities that I doubt would allow a pro team.

Austin Freakazoids - spend an evening out there and you'll understand it

Memphis Earthquakes - cartoony logo of a stomping 350 lb. lineman setting off the New Madrid, or a football ripping along a "fault-line"

Oklahoma City Twisters or Tornadoes is fine, Stormchasers would be a different take on the theme. 89ers is back in play, and probably the best name ever used in the city. Bombers was mentioned as cruel, but was considered as a potential NHL name before the Murrah. As someone who lived there at the time (was working 2 miles from the blast and lost a good college friend), I don't have a major problem with it. Midwest City HS didn't go changing their name after it, because the tie to Tinker AFB is clear anb obvious. But, make the team "Oklahoma City", not "Oklahoma." You aren't gonna gain any more Tulsa fans with a state name than the Outlaws gained OKC fans in the USFL. I'm just curious to know where the team would play. OKC really doesn't have any decent stadia. Taft is a spartan WPA-era facility that might seat 20k. Norman and Edmond (UCO) have college facilities that I doubt would allow a pro team.

LOL at Austin Freakazoids! Didn't you used to watch that show?

Memphis Earthquakes: The New Madrid seismic zone doesn't quite reach Memphis, actually; however, the name Earthquakes sounds interesting. Though I would still go with Centurions, Copperheads, Pharaohs, or even something river-related (i.e.: Rivermen, RiverDogs, RiverSharks -- sort of, River Rats, RiverCats -- I know it's a name of a Triple-A baseball team in Sacramento but it could work, etc.).

Good idea on suggesting Twisters and Tornadoes for the Oklahoma City team. Bombers, I'm not sure of because it may have ties to the '95 bombing of the Murrah Building; I would actually suggest Flying Aces, thought it might be Vegas-related. Oh, and as for the stadium issue, I think the USFLs Outlaws spilt home games between Skelly Stadium in Tulsa and at University of Oklahoma's Memorial Stadium in nearby Norman back in 1984. So there's a possibility of playing at the University of Oklahoma; however, Taft Stadium could be the best bet for this team. On the other hand, Oklahoma Memorial Stadium could be a possible home for Oklahoma's AAFL team, if and when it gets one.

To everyone: Recently, I heard that Vegas, LA, and Orlando are very close to receiving UFL franchises.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Memphis Earthquakes: The New Madrid seismic zone doesn't quite reach Memphis, actually; however, the name Earthquakes sounds interesting. Though I would still go with Centurions, Copperheads, Pharaohs, or even something river-related (i.e.: Rivermen, RiverDogs, RiverSharks -- sort of, River Rats, RiverCats -- I know it's a name of a Triple-A baseball team in Sacramento but it could work, etc.).

Good idea on suggesting Twisters and Tornadoes for the Oklahoma City team. Bombers, I'm not sure of because it may have ties to the '95 bombing of the Murrah Building; I would actually suggest Flying Aces, thought it might be Vegas-related. Oh, and as for the stadium issue, I think the USFLs Outlaws spilt home games between Skelly Stadium in Tulsa and at University of Oklahoma's Memorial Stadium in nearby Norman back in 1984. So there's a possibility of playing at the University of Oklahoma; however, Taft Stadium could be the best bet for this team. On the other hand, Oklahoma Memorial Stadium could be a possible home for Oklahoma's AAFL team, if and when it gets one.

While the New Madrid zone doesn't extend to Memphis, they *will* feel it when the fault uncorks another 8.2, as will most everyone within 1000 miles. River____, to me, is a lazy approach, though the USFL team got it right with the Showboats...

As for the Bombers... either the name does or doesn't have ties to 1995. It clearly didn't before 1995, and personally I don't think the meaning should be usurped. Never forget, but move on. Again, I say this as someone who was there and had friends die. As a final rhetorical argument, why are natural hazards names okay - Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes... but this wouldn't be, and it wouldn't even be referring to the event in the first place?

The Outlaws played no games in Norman. There was lots of talk of building a domed stadium in OKC for the team, just SE of downtown along the river. I believe it was even voted on as a part of the original "String of Pearls" concept which later morphed into MAPS, which is what got the new arena and ballpark built, among other things. The stadium was voted down (the local economy was just starting a nosedive) , and the Outlaws landed in Arizona.

Read "8.4", by Peter Hernon. Suffice it to say that if the "Big One" ever happens with the New Madrid fault, Memphis is going to feel it.

Today, we are all otaku.

oh hell, why not.

Austin Herd-pretty stereotypical

Birmingham Blasters-referencing Blast Furnaces...could work.

Columbus Explorers-it is a city named after an explorer after all

Durham Chargers-can they use NFL nicknames if they go the Bull route instead of the electricity route?

Hollywood Hype

Las Vegas Battling Silvers-official state metal and color.

Louisville Law

Memphis Hounds

New York Empire-works for me.

Oklahoma Ghost Bats-go the casper ghosts way and utilize glow in the dark paint or fabric? could be gimmicky but cool.

Orlando Citrus Barons

Sacramento Sparks-Named after resident author Nicholas Sparks? i couldn't come up with anything else that worked, Knights maybe, but thats taken.

San Antonio Six Shooters

oh hell, why not.

Austin Herd-pretty stereotypical

Birmingham Blasters-referencing Blast Furnaces...could work.

Columbus Explorers-it is a city named after an explorer after all

Durham Chargers-can they use NFL nicknames if they go the Bull route instead of the electricity route?

Hollywood Hype

Las Vegas Battling Silvers-official state metal and color.

Louisville Law

Memphis Hounds

New York Empire-works for me.

Oklahoma Ghost Bats-go the casper ghosts way and utilize glow in the dark paint or fabric? could be gimmicky but cool.

Orlando Citrus Barons

Sacramento Sparks-Named after resident author Nicholas Sparks? i couldn't come up with anything else that worked, Knights maybe, but thats taken.

San Antonio Six Shooters

Well acccording to your suggestions....

Austin Herd: might be a good name for them, but it might also confuse them with the NBA D-League's Toros. Maybe Riders?

Birmingham Blasters: not bad, but might be linked to the 1963 church bombing which killed 4 girls. Maybe Fire, after the former WLAF team?

Columbus Explorers: as close to perfection as you can get -- Senators could also work!

Durham Chargers: Chargers? They would get sued by the NFL's San Diego Chargers for taking that name (just like when the Indianapolis Colts -- also of the NFL -- sued Baltimore's CFL team for using the 'Colts' name). I suggest Stampede instead. Either that or Raleigh Oaks.

Hollywood Hype: I don't know about that but it could work; however, Stars might be the best option.

Las Vegas Battling Silvers: I would actually suggest Quicksilvers.

Louisville Law: Louisville Enforcers would be even better. Either that or Colonels.

Memphis Hounds: not bad at all, especially since the city of Memphis attempted to get an expansion team known as the Hound Dogs in the past; also, there used to be a CFL team known as the Memphis Mad Dogs.

New York Empire: Empire is good, but Emperors or Imperials doubles it better.

Oklahoma Ghost Bats: Ghost Bats would be better suited for Austin's team. So I would go with Cyclones.

Orlando Citrus Barons: I would just go with Barons.

Sacramento Sparks: I don't know since it's more of a WNBA name. Maybe Gold Miners or Invaders?

San Antonio Six Shooters: I would actually prefer Gunslingers.

YOZXkBG.png?1

So Raleigh then. But then again I don't think it would be right to name them the "Research Triangle whoever-you-want-to-call-them", wouldn't it?

Only if you wanted to attract commuters and office wonks - RTP is essentially a commercial zone of sorts rather than a community per se. Imagine playing the original SimCity and putting all your commercial zones in the top-center of the screen, with little to no residential and a smattering of industrial - and you've got the idea.

nav-logo.png

Archived